Hornby castle arriving?

cahoon_danny

• RMweb Premium

Notoriously difficult to render colour correctly or compare unless both tenders are exposed to the same amount of light which they are clearly not in Silver Sidelines photos as one is behind the other and a little bit further away from the flash. Depending on the power of the flash gun reciprocal failure will affect the amount of light falling on the subject even at relatively short distances. Even natural light will be affected by distance. The tenders should have been alongside each other to give them both the same amount of light in both flash and ambient light photography.

In response to 'Bristol Castle' I have updated the two previous images of the tenders by picturing them as suggested coupled together.

I think modern digital cameras with 'built in' flash do remarkably well. I can remember back in the 1970s when the 'works photographer' went to great lengths to fit his SLR camera with two flash guns on a frame offset by about 12 inches either side of the camera just to illuminate close up pictures.

Ray

• RMweb Premium

Weren't the Beverston Castle and Ince Castle models released at the same time, so presumably were manufactured together as well. In which case, since the tenders are the same type (both Colletts) and colour (BR Green), I am pretty sure the only difference is the crest (early or late) which would presumably have been applied separately - why would the factory change the paint specification rather than have an extra long production run of tender bodies?

There might however be very subtle differences in colour with the Castles manufactured earlier (Earl Cairns) and later (the sound fitted Clun Castle), even if the paint specification was the same.

Edited by brushman47544

Thanks for that robmcg. Much appreciated. In my short experience, that's what I was beginning to think (that they'd never made one).... and that my best chance (as I can't really afford two) is to buy an 'early' one and change the crests on the tender. Must now investigate how best to remove the transfers!

• RMweb Gold

Not sure if Hornby has ever done a late crest single chimney Castle... maybe one of the trainpacks? Otherwise it might be necessary to buy two.

They have Rob but they weren't cheap and you had to go to the right place to buy one (Steam, the museum in Swindon, exclusive limited edition - 7037, single chimney and Collett tender with a late crest). They sold the last one about 6 months ago and the bloke who bought paid well over the original advertised price for it.

Another answer might be to try and do a tender swap with someone else on here (but not me, I'm overloaded with early crest tenders as it is.

• 2 months later...

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/blog/1084/entry-8969-br-castle-class-4073-no5053-earl-cairns-a-profile/

A profile on my own 'Castle', No.5053 'Earl Cairns.' I got it a couple of years back, at a decent discount - today I still consider it one of the smartest buys I ever made for the line. Lots of detail, but not so much that it becomes a hazard to simply hold in one's hands; a strong and smooth powertrain to move it along; excellent quality and stunning looks... this is one of the best that Hornby have done, and though there are newer and more detailed engines out there this is still one of the best I can see. Every GWR/BR(W) fan should own at least one, even if it's a smaller line that is being run. The benefits of this engine are far better than the consequences.

The only two faults I would have to mention are in the coupling of the engine to its tender - the four-pin plug doesn't work for me at all as it is less stable and solid than the previous-generation Hornby tender coupling. If the tiny wires become unsoldered or disconnected, the whole unit is worthless. Also, the drawbar is very small as well, and couples differently than other tenders - having a permanent connection on the tender rather than the locomotive. Using the previous-style of coupler between locomotive and tender would, in my mind, have made this a near-perfect machine; as it is, it's a stunner still and well worth purchasing.

A few points, I will raise on your comment, coachmann:

My comments, I think, can and do pertain to the Hornby Castles in general, which can be applied to all of them - not only 'Earl Cairns'. If I am mistaken here, please let me know, but I am fairly certain that all the 'Castles' since this one share the same build and design, with minor cosmetic differences to distinguish between individual engines (double chimnies and so on). Though this is one engine in particular that is being reviewed it is not a unique build and unlike anything since - Hornby have produced 'Castles' since then, in single-chimney form and in BR Early Crest livery. Most of what I had said in my review can be applied to every 'Castle' that has been built from the redesign a few years back to now, particularly that of the tender-locomotive connection employed these days.

I appreciate that the model hails from 2009 and it is now 2013; however, my thoughts on it are still valid, I think. If I am mistaken in this, and if my opinions on it are not to be shared here, please tell me now so that I know better for next time. Your response seemed fairly rude and unnecessary, to be frank - the sarcasm is noted and not appreciated in the slightest. All I was doing was stating my thoughts on my own particular 'Castle,' as well as the Hornby 'Castles' in general; nothing more. Presuming Hornby's build quality is up to snuff still I would not hesitate to buy another for my line, and would recommend it highly for all Western modellers in any livery and identity, since they have not changed from 'Earl Cairns' to now.

Again, if I have done anything wrong by stating my opinion on my locomotive and commenting on the 'Castles' in general I do apologize for it - I will be very careful about doing so in future, I think.

• Like 1

You haven't done anything wrong... its a free country and I have as much right to comment as you. When I saw this thread had been bumped, I assumed someone was giving us a heads up on something new. Your thoughts would have been very valid three years ago at the beginning of this thread but you were right......I was being cheeky. You might get used to our many and varied characters after a while.

Fair enough, coachmann; I was not suggesting that you are not entitled to your own opinions as well, and I do apologize if it seemed as if I was. We are both entitled to our own opinions and have the right to share them. My comment was that you seemed to be somewhat more cheeky, as you put it, and not much else to it. If you were to spend time and effort compiling your thoughts and opinions like that, and posted them in a general thread for the thing in question to share with others, would you want to have such a comment about them afterwards?

In fairness, I do agree that my model is older - perhaps if my review was a more general one on the 'Castles' it would have gone over better. As it is I feel that a lot of what I said in the review and in my comments accompanying it are valid still, and can be applied to the 'Castles' produced even today, particularly in regards to the drawbar/four-pin connector arrangement on them. As they have not been upgraded since 'Earl Cairns' I feel that the comments are still valid even today.

I'm willing to let bygones be bygones, as it were - no hard feelings? Let's simply move on from here, and enjoy the 'Castles' for what they are - I think we can agree that, whether it's 'Earl Cairns' or 'Clun Castle,' these engines are fine examples of Hornby on their A-game.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

The thing with using Tintagel for other names is it has the 'vauxhall' front and this was changed from 5012 if I'm not mistaken.So using 'Tintagel' on a post war liveried version might be problematic.Research is the key and being brave in removing the tender lettering too.

Hattons have informed my the Hawksworth 'Wellington' Castle will be released in November but in the meantime...

Anyway heres my latest incarceration in 5049 'Earl of Plymouth'.Its renamed from a BR early crest Beverston.It has a few incorrect for 5049 details that I can live with and is perfect for recreating my R C Riley 1957 photo on Dainton so there. :sungum:

For the 1928 ish time period, would the Bachmann C set coaches be the best bet for RTR-ness?

The thing with using Tintagel for other names is it has the 'vauxhall' front and this was changed from 5012 if I'm not mistaken.So using 'Tintagel' on a post war liveried version might be problematic.Research is the key and being brave in removing the tender lettering too.

Hattons have informed my the Hawksworth 'Wellington' Castle will be released in November but in the meantime...

Anyway heres my latest incarceration in 5049 'Earl of Plymouth'.Its renamed from a BR early crest Beverston.It has a few incorrect for 5049 details that I can live with and is perfect for recreating my R C Riley 1957 photo on Dainton so there. :sungum:

For the 1928 ish time period, would the Bachmann C set coaches be the best bet for RTR-ness?

Definately not. The Bachmann coaches were not built until 1938. The only current rtr appropriate for the late 1920's is the Hornby railRoad Colletts which entered service in 1925.

Mike Wiltshire

• Like 2

It is a bit annoying how manufacturers release GWR locos with 'Great Western' on it, when there's barely any RTR coaching stock that matches the period.

The same is true of wagons. This feels more common to me these days than this though obviously both of these are in Bachmann Branch-Line's current offerings.

The Hornby Colletts were available in an early Collett "GWR over crest" livery some years ago. There were multiple running numbers produced. Some should be available second hand.

Edited by Ozexpatriate

• RMweb Premium

Definately not. The Bachmann coaches were not built until 1938. The only current rtr appropriate for the late 1920's is the Hornby railRoad Colletts which entered service in 1925.

Mike Wiltshire

You could get away with Pullman coaches if you were interested in that too.

Edited by OnTheBranchline

• RMweb Gold

The same is true of wagons. This feels more common to me these days than this though obviously both of these are in Bachmann Branch-Line's current offerings.

Though it doesn't seem to have helped reduce the number of layouts with locos in post war livery and almost all the wagons in immaculate pre war liveried wagons.

Still looking forward to the Wellington castle finally arriving, enabling my renumbering of it and tintagnal to Berkeley and Nunney castles...

Though it doesn't seem to have helped reduce the number of layouts with locos in post war livery and almost all the wagons in immaculate pre war liveried wagons.

I have the opposite problem - locos in early Collett livery (which was the tender engine RTR "standard" for many years) and insufficient pre-war liveried wagons (immaculate or otherwise).

A big challenge for me was fundamental ignorance. It might sound silly, but in my younger days I had no idea that there were distinct livery periods in the GWR. Pre-internet and not living in Britain, it never occured to me that a pannier tank lettered with "GWR" did not 'belong' to the same period as a tender liveried "Great" <crest> "Western" and I was quite indiscriminate in my early attempts to accquire rolling stock.

The manufacturers don't help customers here. At best they might describe things as 'grouping' or "Era 3" but the descriptions and potted histories in catalogues rarely reference any accurate dates.

As an aside, I'll take the opportunity to thank everyone who ever contributed to the "GWR Modelling" website. For those of us who don't have easy access to accquire a shelf full of Wild Swan publications, it's a great resource and covers a lot of fundamentals.

Even as well served as GWR modellers are by RTR products, it's quite difficult to accumulate a large, period-specific set of stock without repainting/relettering.

So ... we invoke rule number one.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 4

A big challenge for me was fundamental ignorance.

In my university days I built the Hornby Dunster Signal box kit. I had never heard of light stone or dark stone (as GWR structure colours) and I painted it like the picture on the box in GWR coach cream.

Ironically it looks much more like this Hornby Skaledale model than it does like this (as preserved at Minehead).

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I have the opposite problem - locos in early Collett livery (which was the tender engine RTR "standard" for many years) and insufficient pre-war liveried wagons (immaculate or otherwise).

A big challenge for me was fundamental ignorance. It might sound silly, but in my younger days I had no idea that there were distinct livery periods in the GWR. Pre-internet and not living in Britain, it never occured to me that a pannier tank lettered with "GWR" did not 'belong' to the same period as a tender liveried "Great" <crest> "Western" and I was quite indiscriminate in my early attempts to accquire rolling stock.

The manufacturers don't help customers here. At best they might describe things as 'grouping' or "Era 3" but the descriptions and potted histories in catalogues rarely reference any accurate dates.

As an aside, I'll take the opportunity to thank everyone who ever contributed to the "GWR Modelling" website. For those of us who don't have easy access to accquire a shelf full of Wild Swan publications, it's a great resource and covers a lot of fundamentals.

Even as well served as GWR modellers are by RTR products, it's quite difficult to accumulate a large, period-specific set of stock without repainting/relettering.

So ... we invoke rule number one.

I'd completely agree, until I started planning for my GW layout I didn't realise that the small logo version existed (and for that matter didn't realise that there would be so many non GW wagons needed either!)

Thanks to Wild Swan, and the fantastic livery index on gwr modelling, it was pretty quick to learn what was right (and now it really stands out to my eyes when I see it wrong). 

I do think that a combination of the late livery for unlined locos along with the large logo on wagons is the most aseptically pleasing.  

Thankfully Geoff Kents wagon books have given me enough photos of 20s branded wagons lasting into BR days (all be it with distressed logos) that I can justify a few!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I have today received a reply from Hornby, (who also apologised for the delay in replying).

They advise that there are no plans at the moment to release a Great Western castle with a Collett tender.

I guess this might change with the 2013 and 2014 release schedule(?)

So Hornby aren't releaseing a GWR Castle with the Collett tender, even though thats the tender that most recognised with the Class? Why is this??? They might as well not bother with the Castle!