Haymarket 64B

landscapes

David,

Thank you for the kind words.

The coaling monster has not gone into serious abeyance.  I shuttle between two locations,  and I'm not presently at the one to which I've asked various necessary bits and pieces to be sent.  Furthermore,  I've had to postpone my peregrination for a couple of days.  I hope to re-start next week (meanwhile,  I've been regaling myself by filling in time with a little narrow-gauge project which can be done in two or three days).

Makes a delightful change.....

(As you may have gathered from some of my photographs,  some of the NG locomotives,  the upperworks of which are also confectioned largely from raw styrene, are not without their challenges,  and each one takes more like three weeks than three days.)

Added to which,  the next steps,  or very nearly so,  on the coaling stage build will be pretty well definitive as to what lives down the chasm on the tippler side.  Whilst I'm sure I have the principles right,  I live in the unfulfilled (and probably unfulfillable) hope that by magic a precise depiction may emerge of how exactly it was configured in practice.  So I didn't too much mind a few days of delay....  But the bullet will soon be bitten. 

auldreekie

Edited by auldreekie

Return of the coal monster......

DSCF0319_zpsr2nvrfyr.jpg

I now have to hand most of the materials needed to finish the job.  Main omission so far is the raw material for staircases on the jigger side.

So,  a start made on one of the easier bits -  the railings of the jigger platform,  which are now about half done.  I realise that I've not yet gleaned from photographs how access is made to that platform from beneath.  No matter -- that can be sorted out......  The railing stanchions are from the world of small boats:  Caldercraft item 66215,  two-hole brass stanchions 15mm tall.

After finishing off this particular task,  I shall move on to inserting and railing my guess at the winch platform,  address the windows,  then bite the bullet and start to fabricate the missing elements of the tippler side.  Don't hold your breath......

auldreekie

Return of the coal monster......

DSCF0319_zpsr2nvrfyr.jpg

I now have to hand most of the materials needed to finish the job.  Main omission so far is the raw material for staircases on the jigger side.

So,  a start made on one of the easier bits -  the railings of the jigger platform,  which are now about half done.  I realise that I've not yet gleaned from photographs how access is made to that platform from beneath.  No matter -- that can be sorted out......  The railing stanchions are from the world of small boats:  Caldercraft item 66215,  two-hole brass stanchions 15mm tall.

After finishing off this particular task,  I shall move on to inserting and railing my guess at the winch platform,  address the windows,  then bite the bullet and start to fabricate the missing elements of the tippler side.  Don't hold your breath......

auldreekie

Hi auldreekie

Wow that is a monster, nice job on the handrails too.

Good luck with the rest of the construction, did you sort out the staircases required?

Regards

Daivd

Thanks,  David.

I'm hoping that a Walthers Cornerstone modern fire escape will be amenable to being cannibalised.  If not,  then I may fall back on Plastruct 1:100 steps,  subject perhaps to some thinning-down of the side members,  and with the addition of more handrails gleaned from the world either of model boats or of architectural display modelling.

auldreekie

• Like 1

At last,  a return to the tippler side of things,  as yet incomplete by a long way,  the main external cladding components on this side being merely propped in place.

DSCF0324_zpsfhppkxyp.jpg

All machine-room windows and wall-panels are now secured in place.  I've chosen to paint the window bars a dirty-looking green,  because my memory of ancillary buildings on the ex-NBR in the 1950's is that some such coating was used rather than the Scottish Region sky blue which made relatively limited appearances applied to bits at the "passenger interface",  and by no means comprehensively even there.  I remember lots of brown and cream on the smaller railway stations,  and I'm fairly sure that Waverley's old wooden platform barriers were painted a none too fetching mid to dark green.

Some partly-complete components are to be seen lying on the shelf stage right.

Next,  I have a choice of bullets to bite.   Either I can fabricate my best guess about the tippler guide-rails,  or I can paint the interior in a suitably filthy condition,  so as to enable me to attach the external panels on this side.

The tippler guide rails are puzzling me as to their method and location of fixture at the upper end.  There surely has to be some very robust anchorage to the main structure so as to enable proper resistance to the forces exerted whilst tipping  the loaded coal wagons.  Yet I have seen no illustration which gives a clear indication of such anchorage.  My best guess is that the upper near-horizontal component must extend through to some form of connection with the jigger-side framing;  but I see no external evidence of such an arrangement in the external form indicated by the jigger-side framing. 

Hmmmm.....

auldreekie

• Like 1

I'm still puzzling how to represent the tippling gear within the mouth of the "chasm".  The available photographic cover does not give quite enough information for certainty on several points,  but I shall very shortly come to a working conclusion......

For starters,  here is a picture of the tippler side with a few of the key pieces partially fabricated (not necessarily quite as they will end up) propped more-or-less in position).

DSCF0326_zpslbh67eer.jpg

After looking long and hard at the pictures,  and considering one or two other tipplers (not parts of a coaling stage) to see how they are disposed,  I'm coming to the following.

-  The ground-level tipplers  are not helpful in one particular:  the counterbalance arrangements for the tippler,  since they seem to use the wagon and its cradle as part of the counterweight for the beam:  I just don't see how this might be done on a coaling tower.

-  On the whole,  the photographic evidence tends to suggest that the beam is pivoted somewhere on about a level with the first major concrete reinforcing frame above the tops of the main coal bunkers.

-  It also looks as if the curved steel projections at the base of the chasm and the massive steel static girder which appears to run horizontally between them are key parts of the tippler structure,  and the pivot for the "goalpost beam" may well be at the centre of curvature of the steel projection and in line with the end of the static beam.

-  I see no evidence of how the near-horizontal components at the top of the tippler guide rails are secured at their inner ends.  Despite their present configuration as unsecured components of my model,  I don't really think they are keyed direct to the reinforced-concrete framework of the jigger side of the structure.

Looking at my elevations of the coaling tower,  and on the basis of no other evidence,  it seems to me that it would make structural sense if each guide rail formed part of a sort of truncated A-frame.   It is clear that the guide rails themselves are keyed very firmly to the structure at the level of the top of the hoppers at base of the main bunkers:  it would be reasonable for the structure to contain a reinforced-concrete ring-beam at this level.  If the rear member of a putative truncated A-frame were based on this ring-beam in line with the jigger-side main legs of the structure,  this would seem to provide for a degree of robustness and symmetry which is otherwise absent. 

All this adds up to a basis for a "believable" (I think) model,  with one key exception:  I'm blessed (I think that is an admissible word) if I can see how the counterbalance arrangements for the goalpost beam are arranged.  The principle is clear enough.  But I don't think there's room for a massive enough simple counterweight plus enough room for sufficient angular deflection to do the job.

Heigh-ho.

auldreekie

(Incidentally,  the internal "walls" in the model machine-room are not meant to represent reality - they are merely bracing to inhibit bowing-in of the sides.)

Edited by auldreekie
  • Like 1

I'm still puzzling how to represent the tippling gear within the mouth of the "chasm".  The available photographic cover does not give quite enough information for certainty on several points,  but I shall very shortly come to a working conclusion......

For starters,  here is a picture of the tippler side with a few of the key pieces partially fabricated (not necessarily quite as they will end up) propped more-or-less in position).

DSCF0326_zpslbh67eer.jpg

After looking long and hard at the pictures,  and considering one or two other tipplers (not parts of a coaling stage) to see how they are disposed,  I'm coming to the following.

-  The ground-level tipplers  are not helpful in one particular:  the counterbalance arrangements for the tippler,  since they seem to use the wagon and its cradle as part of the counterweight for the beam:  I just don't see how this might be done on a coaling tower.

-  On the whole,  the photographic evidence tends to suggest that the beam is pivoted somewhere on about a level with the first major concrete reinforcing frame above the tops of the main coal bunkers.

-  It also looks as if the curved steel projections at the base of the chasm and the massive steel static girder which appears to run horizontally between them are key parts of the tippler structure,  and the pivot for the "goalpost beam" may well be at the centre of curvature of the steel projection and in line with the end of the static beam.

-  I see no evidence of how the near-horizontal components at the top of the tippler guide rails are secured at their inner ends.  Despite their present configuration as unsecured components of my model,  I don't really think they are keyed direct to the reinforced-concrete framework of the jigger side of the structure.

Looking at my elevations of the coaling tower,  and on the basis of no other evidence,  it seems to me that it would make structural sense if each guide rail formed part of a sort of truncated A-frame.   It is clear that the guide rails themselves are keyed very firmly to the structure at the level of the top of the hoppers at base of the main bunkers:  it would be reasonable for the structure to contain a reinforced-concrete ring-beam at this level.  If the rear member of a putative truncated A-frame were based on this ring-beam in line with the jigger-side main legs of the structure,  this would seem to provide for a degree of robustness and symmetry which is otherwise absent. 

All this adds up to a basis for a "believable" (I think) model,  with one key exception:  I'm blessed (I think that is an admissible word) if I can see how the counterbalance arrangements for the goalpost beam are arranged.  The principle is clear enough.  But I don't think there's room for a massive enough simple counterweight plus enough room for sufficient angular deflection to do the job.

Heigh-ho.

auldreekie

(Incidentally,  the internal "walls" in the model machine-room are not meant to represent reality - they are merely bracing to inhibit bowing-in of the sides.)

Hi auldreekie

That's looking very good indeed, I do admire you trying to work out how the tower worked then trying to fabricate it in detail at 4mm scale, I think my way was a much easier option as most of the tower was already built so all I had to do was try to build the detailed add on parts to a near as what I could see in photos available to me.

I am now starting work on the Water Tank support beams and cross braces, I am now on holiday for a few days over Easter but once back I need to purchase a piercing saw to finely cut all the brass angle sections.

Regards

David

David,

Thank you.

Well,  I'm no engineer.  But I really find it very difficult to build a model of something  (anything) without a reasonably clear mental picture of how it functions  (or might,  at least,  credibly function).

This one has caused more head-scratching than I've indulged in (in a modelling context)  for ages.  I've probably got more splinters than I did from building the last two baseboards.......

I'm interested in seeing how your water tower goes.   I suspect that,  as and if I ever get around to it (more likely that I shall re-engage first with the main shed building,  now that your example has kick-started me)  I'm more likely to use styrene sections than brass.  (Having said which,  my first styrene effort at the tippler guides on the coaling tower has surprised me by its flimsiness,  so  on that basis too they will have to be revisited...

auldreekie

David,

Thank you.

Well,  I'm no engineer.  But I really find it very difficult to build a model of something  (anything) without a reasonably clear mental picture of how it functions  (or might,  at least,  credibly function).

This one has caused more head-scratching than I've indulged in (in a modelling context)  for ages.  I've probably got more splinters than I did from building the last two baseboards.......

I'm interested in seeing how your water tower goes.   I suspect that,  as and if I ever get around to it (more likely that I shall re-engage first with the main shed building,  now that your example has kick-started me)  I'm more likely to use styrene sections than brass.  (Having said which,  my first styrene effort at the tippler guides on the coaling tower has surprised me by its flimsiness,  so  on that basis too they will have to be revisited...

auldreekie

Hi auldreekie

That's why I am using 1.5mm x1.5mm brass angle for the main horizontal supports to tie all the 10 H columns together, it will give extra support and rigidity over using plastic angles which as you have said are to flimsy.

I will use plastic angles for the cross braces, I made one up using 1.5mm x 1.5mm plastics angle glued to a 6mm x 5mm x0.5mm thick plastic plate, photo enclosed below and this seems to work OK.

Regards

David

post-6557-0-64984200-1428004298_thumb.jpg

David,

Thanks for that.  Yes,  I'd expect that to work for the cross-braces.

Remind me:  what are you using for the H columns - brass section?

auldreekie

Hi auldreekie

For the H Columns I am using 4mm x 4mm plastic sections, at about a height of approx 125mm they are rigid enough especially when all tied together with the brass angle they should be fine.

Nearly had a major disaster yesterday, i was glueing a small channel section onto the water tank side with this new Hafixs Super glue and I did not realise that the nozzle top had come away from the bottle and an amount of glue poured out over one of the water tank sides and even worse all over the kitchen table.

After careful cleaning and removal of the glue the table was OK and the area on the water tank was rubbed down with very fine wet & dry paper then resprayed all OK, very luck escape on both counts. 

Regards

David

Edited by landscapes

Some relatively light relief.

DSCF0327_zpse5kczsyz.jpg

One 4mm scale hand winch in seven parts,  to activate the selector flap in the coaling tower.

DSCF0329_zpsmk6vgois.jpg

The cosmetic inner surface forming the back of the to-be-visible tippler chasm,  showing:

-  representation of inner surface of reinforced concrete framing with infill panels;

-  my guess at a railed hand-winch platform together with the winch

-  inner face of access door.

The projecting bottom ends of the stanchions will be trimmed when the glue fixing them has had time to set firmly - probably overnight.

The main main sub-assemblies of the tippler-side aspect are now beginning to come together,  but there's still much to do in order to achieve a credible representation together with a good fit. 

auldreekie

Edited by auldreekie

Coaling tower.  The tippler side of things has so far involved a great deal of hard thinking,  trial and error.  Virtually every feature of the "chasm" has had to be redone two or three times,  whence an apparent slowness of progress.

For example,  the hand-winch platform has now had 7mm taken out of its depth,  taking us back to only 1mm wider than the first shot.  In consequence,  the little winch previously fabricated cannot be accommodated (no doubt another use will arise on another project).  Instead,  a slim line special purpose hand winch is needed ,  to cope with the relatively small amount of winding backwards and forwards which will be required of it:

DSCF0332_zpstttzmzo6.jpg

The present state of play from this perspective:

DSCF0333_zpsvl1y4han.jpg

The main components/subassemblies on this face are propped up for effect.  Nearly there,  I think.

The swinging beam is too high.  Its "goalposts"  will need to be shortened and,  when that is done,  the two angles between beam and goalposts treated to a pair of small gussets.

It seems that I've not bedded the machine-room assembly down quite firmly on this occasion.  No problem:  it IS a decent fit.  But there will be a small amount of filling and sanding of the occasional untidy bit,  before the job is done.

Next up,  I think,  will be completion of the main tippler guide-rails,  now that I've worked out a credible (to me at least) configuration for the bit that's missing from the photographs......

auldreekie 

Edited by auldreekie

Still propped together,  but more progress than you might think.

DSCF0335_zps0htcbfyd.jpg

Some detail provided to main guide-rails and they are no propped in position. 

Demonstrating that the curved supplementary guides were too high,  and the static horizontal beam linking them too deep.  All three have now been rectified.  That is to say,  re-fabricated.  Again.

But I think we may now be close to a spot of tippler-side definitive assembly.  With real solvent / glue......

auldreekie

• Like 1

DSCF0335_zps0htcbfyd.jpg

Demonstrating that the curved supplementary guides were too high,  and the static horizontal beam linking them too deep.  All three have now been rectified.  That is to say,  re-fabricated.  Again.

But I think we may now be close to a spot of tippler-side definitive assembly.  With real solvent / glue......

auldreekie

DSCF0335_zps0htcbfyd.jpg

auldreekie

DSCF0335_zps0htcbfyd.jpg

auldreekie

Hi auldreekie

Sorry for late reply as I am in Rome for a few days break so no modelling this week, but still logging onto RMWeb.

Your coaling tower is really looking the part, great job so far, I bet you are really pleased with it.

Really looking forward to seeing it finished.

Regards

David

Rome.

I'd envy you,  but I have very bad memories of my missus being bushwhacked by two youths on a motor-scooter,  and,  much worse,  of being treated by the filthy local police as if we had committed the crime.  Come to think of it,  we probably had,  by reporting one of the mainstays of the local economy.....  That's perhaps twenty years ago,  and I have yet to revise my opinion that altogether too much of Italy is run by the scum of the earth.....

I'd like to see the damned coal hoist finished also,  but I fear that that pleasure is some time (weeks,  not days) off.   There are so many steps which are interdependent with others that final assembly keeps being put off.  Not helped by the need on occasion to revise and re-do little jobs already "done".....

A flavour of what's been going on lately.

DSCF0332_zpstttzmzo6.jpg

A couple of shots at the hand-winch for working the selector flap.  The first on the left was a general-purpose job.  However,  when I'd fabricated the tippler-side swinging beam assembly,  it became clear that my first shot at the platform on which this winch and its operator would stand was too deep,  it needed thinning down by 7mm.  It followed that,  for clearance,  a skinnier special-purpose winch needed to be fabricated:  it wouldn't need a very wide drum,  as its task would be restricted to a few turns forwards and backwards.....

DSCF0335_zps0htcbfyd.jpg

The tippler side with the various sub-assemblies propped together to give an approximate flavour of how it will end up.  The  winch-platform can be seen within,  as perhaps can the cosmetic inner face of the jigger-side to which it is attached.   The curved-over elements at the top of the guides for the tippler have caused not a little head-scratching,  as have the arrangements for securing the upper ends of the tippler guides.   I have come to the working conclusion that it would make structural sense for the tippler guides each to be the visible part of a kind of truncated A-frame,  of which the rear components would be anchored at the same level in the main structure as the heavy-duty brackets visible on the tippler face of the structure.

DSCF0338_zps7fhvwsyl.jpg

The jigger side,  with the  various "landings" and platforms cut,  drilled for handrail stanchions and attached;  three main stairway components propped in place.  It looks as if the modified Plastruct stairways will do the job.  Each has had a couple of thicknesses (not widths) of microstrip solvented to each side and drilled as appropriate for handrail stanchions.  I've done three lengths in this way,  and it can be seen that,  when fettled to length,  there will be enough left over to fabricate the fourth and final stretch of stairway.  I'm surprised to see that some photographs suggest that handrails were attached to both sides of the staircases.  So there will be a pause in operations whilst I source enough stanchions to cover this eventuality......

Lying around in this picture may be seen the tippler-guide subassemblies,  which now include a representation of that part of the rear legs of the putative A-frame assembly which would be visible above my representation of  the upper "reception" hopper. 

auldreekie

Edited by auldreekie

Rome.

I'd envy you,  but I have very bad memories of my missus being bushwhacked by two youths on a motor-scooter,  and,  much worse,  of being treated by the filthy local police as if we had committed the crime.  Come to think of it,  we probably had,  by reporting one of the mainstays of the local economy.....  That's perhaps twenty years ago,  and I have yet to revise my opinion that altogether too much of Italy is run by the scum of the earth.....

I'd like to see the damned coal hoist finished also,  but I fear that that pleasure is some time (weeks,  not days) off.   There are so many steps which are interdependent with others that final assembly keeps being put off.  Not helped by the need on occasion to revise and re-do little jobs already "done".....

A flavour of what's been going on lately.

DSCF0332_zpstttzmzo6.jpg

A couple of shots at the hand-winch for working the selector flap.  The first on the left was a general-purpose job.  However,  when I'd fabricated the tippler-side swinging beam assembly,  it became clear that my first shot at the platform on which this winch and its operator would stand was too deep,  it needed thinning down by 7mm.  It followed that,  for clearance,  a skinnier special-purpose winch needed to be fabricated:  it wouldn't need a very wide drum,  as its task would be restricted to a few turns forwards and backwards.....

DSCF0335_zps0htcbfyd.jpg

The tippler side with the various sub-assemblies propped together to give an approximate flavour of how it will end up.  The  winch-platform can be seen within,  as perhaps can the cosmetic inner face of the jigger-side to which it is attached.   The curved-over elements at the top of the guides for the tippler have caused not a little head-scratching,  as have the arrangements for securing the upper ends of the tippler guides.   I have come to the working conclusion that it would make structural sense for the tippler guides each to be the visible part of a kind of truncated A-frame,  of which the rear components would be anchored at the same level in the main structure as the heavy-duty brackets visible on the tippler face of the structure.

DSCF0338_zps7fhvwsyl.jpg

The jigger side,  with the  various "landings" and platforms cut,  drilled for handrail stanchions and attached;  three main stairway components propped in place.  It looks as if the modified Plastruct stairways will do the job.  Each has had a couple of thicknesses (not widths) of microstrip solvented to each side and drilled as appropriate for handrail stanchions.  I've done three lengths in this way,  and it can be seen that,  when fettled to length,  there will be enough left over to fabricate the fourth and final stretch of stairway.  I'm surprised to see that some photographs suggest that handrails were attached to both sides of the staircases.  So there will be a pause in operations whilst I source enough stanchions to cover this eventuality......

Lying around in this picture may be seen the tippler-guide subassemblies,  which now include a representation of that part of the rear legs of the putative A-frame assembly which would be visible above my representation of  the upper "reception" hopper. 

auldreekie

Hi auldreekie

You coaling tower will look stunning once completed and weathered, a real work of art.

I am just waiting for the plastic 1.5 x1.5 mm angle for the cross braces to be delivered then I can start on the water tank support framework.

Regards

David

David,  Thanks.

The weathering will pose several challenges......

What's new?

I look forward to hearing more about the water tank,  which bids fair to be completed weeks (if not months) in advance of my shot at the coaling tower.  Summer (well,  spring)  just MAY be coming on......

auldreekie

Good Afternoon

Two new additions to Haymarket 64B, both Hornby A4's and both purchased recently on Ebay for what I regard as a bargain.

Hornby A4 60010 Dominion of Canada R2910 limited addition of 1000, in mint boxed condition with unopened detail pack £98.00 +PP

Hornby A4 60031 Golden Plover R2340 boxed again in mint condition, no detail pack but only run a few times £66.00 +PP

Both have been run in on my rolling Road and run smooth and quite in both directions at all speeds.

Photos enclosed.

Little tip for anyone who was not aware, in many of the detail packs comes a pair of Cylinder Drain Cock Pipes, on many occasions these I have found to be distorted and bowed not flat as they should be.

Put them in a saucer of boiling water for a few minutes and they return to their original flat shape, works a treat.

I must stop being tempted to buy A4's and get on with completing my water tank.

Regards

David

post-6557-0-16061000-1429273521_thumb.jpg

post-6557-0-39380400-1429273536_thumb.jpg

Edited by landscapes

My word,  that's a rocky part of Wiltshire in the background.  None of the trains to Bristol goes through that bit!

auldreekie

Hi auldreekie

That rocky background is an area near to Fort William, had a great weeks holiday up there about Severn years ago and I thought it would be in keeping with the Haymarket theme to photoshop it as a background.

The only A4's we get going through the Swindon on route to Bristol now is 60007 or 60019 on the Catherdrals Express.

Regards

David

Thanks,  David.

My tongue WAS well ensconced in my cheek......

A n update on minimal progress with the coal monster.

DSCF0349_zpsoi51mmav.jpg

Quite a bit  (although you might not think so) of work done to the stairways on the jigger side.

I had to await the arrival of another tranche of boat modellers' beautiful brass stanchions (which really are rather posher than is merited by the real thing - but I think they are the nearest I can get without disproportionate effort),  and so I spent some time on activities related to my peculiar version of the narrow gauge.

These stairways really ARE a beast to model.  You need to be better than me at visualising in three dimensions if you are to succeed first time....  Most of this has been re-done at least once.....  And I'm scarcely half way finished.....

There will be some simplification of the handrails in due course,  especially where in reality they continue from one flight of stairs to the next.  I shall substitute extra stanchions,  and hope that the cheating is not too obvious....

auldreekie

Edited by auldreekie

Quite a bit more thinking done about the sequence in which the stairways,  stanchions and handrails should be assembled,  and a painfully slow start made.  It is very much still a work-in-progress,  and it will be so for some time to come.

DSCF0351_zpsenj3hku1.jpg

Not apparent in the photograph is that all six machine-room windows have now been glazed.

The sequence of events in putting together the stairways,  etc IS really quite complex:  you cannot sensibly just pitch in at one end and work up or down.  There's also a need to work out exactly how it should be done in the model,  even if this does not exactly reflect the real-world configuration.  In particular,   I shall when finished have used rather more stanchions than in the real thing,  mainly to achieve greater independence between the handrails of the various staircases,  and to avoid some of the more intricate in situ wire-bending which would otherwise be needed.

It's also grand to be able to spend the best part of a day out of doors model-building in the garden......

auldreekie

• Like 1

Good Evening All

I had a few spare hours this morning so took the opportunity to carry out some more work on the Water Tank.

I have cut out to size the 10 h section support columns and cut to size the first two brass 1.5mm x 1.5mm angle horizontal braces, i now have to start making up the cross brace sections which will be in 1.5mm x 1.5mm plastic sections.

i found it very difficult lining up the 5 columns so i could glue on the brass angle sections to get the whole ensemble square, eventually I found that lining them with the grid on my cutting mat did the trick.

Photo enclosed of todays efforts positioned against my original setting out drawing I was pleased to see its almost spot on in size.

Regards

David

post-6557-0-51429700-1429548582_thumb.jpg