Haymarket 64B

landscapes

Yes,  grids like that are really helpful.

I have found graph-paper to be  an extremely powerful analytic tool when drawing-up model locomotives prior to fabrication.

Not only does the graticule itself provide a built-in discipline,  but also it makes a basis on which the correlated side and end elevations can be translated into a plan view and then exploded into component parts for fabrication.

I'm afraid I'm not into CAD,.  but I'll settle happily for centimetric graph paper in place of a CAD package.....

auldreekie

Hi auldreekie

I fully agree with you, I trained as a Draughtsman in the late 1960's and then went into Architecture and my view was always that you cannot beat a good drawing board with pencils and ink pens over CAD any day.

Thank God I retired before CAD took over.

Regards

David

Architecture with a good drawing board sounds like a very satisfying way of making a living.  I had to make do with words,  weighing evidence,  and trying to persuade others to make about the same amount of effort as I took for granted.......

Some parts of that were altogether a less analytic and satisfying procedure,  although in retirement you come to realise that you'd learned some useful skills,  not of a technical nature.....

auldreekie

Architecture with a good drawing board sounds like a very satisfying way of making a living. I had to make do with words, weighing evidence, and trying to persuade others to make about the same amount of effort as I took for granted.......

Some parts of that were altogether a less analytic and satisfying procedure, although in retirement you come to realise that you'd learned some useful skills, not of a technical nature.....

auldreekie

Hi auldreekie

Sounds as though you possibly worked in the legal profession or maybe the police force, both very worthy careers all the same.

This morning I have just completed the H columns and horizontal braces for the other side of the water tank.

Regards

David

Edited by landscapes

Good Afternoon

Spent this morning trying to tie the two H column support sections together, I can honestly say this is one of the most frustrating tasks to date.

After much perseverance I finally glued to two halves together using 1.5mm x 1.5mm brass angle sections to each end plus additional support braces at high level.

I still have six more brass cross ties to insert into the middle of the support structure plus all the cross braces.

Photo enclosed of todays progress.

Regards

David

post-6557-0-90420900-1429884226_thumb.jpg

post-6557-0-25728400-1429884258_thumb.jpg

post-6557-0-05234400-1429884280_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Good Evening

More progress on Haymarket Water Tank, made a good start on the 26 cross brace X sections that tie the 10 H column together.

This task was proving much harder to construct than I thought it would be.

To get over the problem of ensuring all the plastic X frames are at the correct size and angles are also all the same I made up a small template from 1.5mm which white card to use and a guide to ensure thay all came out looking the same as they will be fixed is by side, the template has enabled me to make up half of them today.

Photos enclosed.

Regards

David

post-6557-0-42195800-1430248224_thumb.jpg

post-6557-0-64874500-1430248240_thumb.jpg

Edited by landscapes
  • Like 2

Hi All

I have Finally finished the main structure of Haymarket's Water Tank, just need to find out if anyone sells fine brass ladders at 4mm scale which will need to need at least 180mm in length.

also need to find some water pipes to go each end of the tank I think about 3mm dia would look about right, as there are three bends in one of the main supply pipes I might try 3mm dia brass so it can be shaped accordingly.

The water tank has had some weathering to it, but it will need a bit more weathering and a small amount of rust weathering powders as well.

I am very happy with the final result and it's a miracle that it is still in one piece after fitting 26 cross brace supports which on some occasions seemed to prefer to stick to my hand rather than the structure it's self.

Two photos enclosed.

Regards

David

post-6557-0-32109900-1430486426_thumb.jpg

post-6557-0-41006700-1430486446_thumb.jpg

Edited by landscapes
  • Like 4

David,

I've just caught up with you.  I've been off doing other things whilst awaiting the paint to move the coaling tower forward.

That water tank  looks great.  I shall take time to learn from your experiences with it!

Not a lot to say for myself on the Haymarket modelling front,  But it will restart ere long.

auldreekie

David,

I've just caught up with you.  I've been off doing other things whilst awaiting the paint to move the coaling tower forward.

That water tank  looks great.  I shall take time to learn from your experiences with it!

Not a lot to say for myself on the Haymarket modelling front,  But it will restart ere long.

auldreekie

Hi auldreekie

Thank you for your kind comments, looking at your coaling tower I do not think you need much learning at all on modelling and I look forward to seeing it completed when you have the opportunity.

I must say building the water tank was harder than I thought it would be and I will be more than happy to share any information you require from my own experience when you start that project yourself.

I am now looking for a long brass ladder for the water tank as it measures 160mm overall height which equates to around 40 feet high in 4mm scale.

I am also trying to obtain some 9mm Dia rings to go around the two column like structures below that tank, these I can see from photos I have and they seem have a series of raised bands at various stages along there length.

The two columns have been formed using 7mm Dia hollow plastic tube.

Regards

David

David,

Thanks for your kind words.

I find that anything to do with modelling is something of a learning curve.  But that is in fact the real pleasure of the thing....

By way of example:

DSCF0414_zpshp2azvih.jpg 

I've been experimenting with colours for the coaling tower,  in places where the results will be invisible once it is assembled.

I tried Railmatch "concrete initially,  and concluded that it will not do for this purpose.  Its greenish tinge would do for more low-lying locations susceptible to mould/algal incursion.  But not on this weatherbeaten and industrially-challenged monster,  I fear.

I also tried overbrushing roughly with "coal black" in the LH hopper.  The result was awful.

So I tried a 20% admixture of "coal black" to overpaint the mess in the hopper,  as can now be seen.  This might do as a base cover for the interior,  including the upper hopper.   I'll try a 10% "coal black"/ 90% "concrete" mixture to see if it might suffice as a base colour for the exterior,  to be overweathered ad lb.  But I suspect this may require more experimentation awhile before I settle to a method.....

auldreekie

• Like 2

David,

Thanks for your kind words.

I find that anything to do with modelling is something of a learning curve.  But that is in fact the real pleasure of the thing....

By way of example:

DSCF0414_zpshp2azvih.jpg

I've been experimenting with colours for the coaling tower,  in places where the results will be invisible once it is assembled.

I tried Railmatch "concrete initially,  and concluded that it will not do for this purpose.  Its greenish tinge would do for more low-lying locations susceptible to mould/algal incursion.  But not on this weatherbeaten and industrially-challenged monster,  I fear.

I also tried overbrushing roughly with "coal black" in the LH hopper.  The result was awful.

So I tried a 20% admixture of "coal black" to overpaint the mess in the hopper,  as can now be seen.  This might do as a base cover for the interior,  including the upper hopper.   I'll try a 10% "coal black"/ 90% "concrete" mixture to see if it might suffice as a base colour for the exterior,  to be overweathered ad lb.  But I suspect this may require more experimentation awhile before I settle to a method.....

auldreekie

Hi Auldreekie

Your coal tower is looking good, I used a concrete colour paint and added a little flat black to it to weather up the Bachmann coaling tower.

Just got back from a few days in London and some 7mm internal diameter rings had arrived which has allowed me to now complete and fix the two large circular columns that I have been talking about in the past, these have now been fixed to the main tank underside.

I also managed to obtain two fine brass ladders from Wizard Models who make up very nice signal kits, these have been sprayed in a grey undercoat and I now need to work out how I am going to fix them to the water tank end panel and add brass handrails as well.

Photos to follow soon when completed.

Regards

David

David,

Yes.  The concrete plus matt black (in small amounts,  say 10%)  looks like a possible way forward for the base colour for the exterior of the coaling tower.

Unfortunately as regards rapid progress on the coaler,  whilst awaiting the necessary paints and playing around with them I've plunged back into the completion of narrow-gauge monster locomotives.  Just for the hell of it,  here are two of the ones which are keeping me occupied:

DSCF0410_zpsiluqwelz.jpg

DSCF0413_zpsqdiakgiv.jpg

I'll return to the coaler very shortly...

auldreekie

• Like 2

Good Morning All

I decided to put together some of the main building I have constructed for Haymarket 64B to give a little idea of what that shed layout may look like once I start setting it out on base boards.

Photo enclosed to show the new water tank nearly finished along side to main shed and coaling tower which are now complete.

Please excuse part of the stone wall behind the coal tower

Regards

David

post-6557-0-42820100-1431338112_thumb.jpg

Edited by landscapes
  • Like 11

That's brilliant David ~~~ makes me feel like I'm back at Haymarket after about 55 years . . . even if it's a lot tidier here than I remember it !!!

Jim.

Thank you for your kind comments Jim.

I can assure you there is lots of weathering still to do to make it look like a working steam shed once the layout starts taking place on base boards.

I just wanted to get a flavour of what the layout might start to look like.

Regards

David

Excellent photos David. It's all coming together now at 64B and am looking forward to the next buildings appearing.

Great work.

Eric

Thank you Eric

As I have said before I take that as a big compliment coming from a Railway Modeller of your quality.], I hope one day to be able to take a nice line up photo of the shed,s eastern elevation so well known for viewing the magnificent Haymarket pacific's.

Last night I managed to make up and fix the brass ladder and handrails, I enclose a photo below they now need to be painted and weathered.

The next building to complete will be the offices and store building just east of the turntable location, I already have all the necessary doors and windows which came from York Modelmaking Ltd some time ago.

Regards

David

post-6557-0-67798400-1431516761_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Good Morning all

It's wet and raining today in Swindon so I decided to play with some of my photos in Photoshop Elements.

I know to some this is regarded as a Dark Art so please forgive me for putting this photo on the thread, it was just to see if I could create some atmosphere to the original photo.

Any criticism accepted as I probably deserve it.

Regards

David

post-6557-0-56915800-1431592457_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Preferred it without the computer-chuff.  But very envious.  I reckon I'm three years minimum off anything remotely comparable......

Still fiddling around with paint mixtures.....

What was the reason in reality for the two-tone brickwork in the shed gables?  Was it grey-blue engineering brick throughout,  overpainted brickish red in the lower two-thirds,  or what?

auldreekie

Edited by auldreekie

Preferred it without the computer-chuff.  But very envious.  I reckon I'm three years minimum off anything remotely comparable......

Still fiddling around with paint mixtures.....

What was the reason in reality for the two-tone brickwork in the shed gables?  Was it grey-blue engineering brick throughout,  overpainted brickish red in the lower two-thirds,  or what?

auldreekie

Hi auldreekie

Thank you for that, with regards to the two tone brickwork I went with the colour photos I had.

I thought that when the shed was built they used two different colour bricks, Red from ground level then Blue engineering bricks from the Valley gutter level unto the ridge.

I did have this conversation via email with Harry Knox who like you said that he thought there was one colour brickwork with part of the gable walls painted, not sure which way round it was.

Also the whole shed building will be heavily weathered in due course to reflect over fifty years of wear and tear plus a bit of neglect in it's last years especially on the roof structure.

I enclose a colour photo of the shed wall which was what I used as a colour reference and to me it looked like two different coloured bricks.

I would be interested to know how you see it from the enclosed photo?

Regards

David

post-6557-0-46777400-1431714680_thumb.jpg

Edited by landscapes

David,

I think that photograph suggests two different colours of bricks.  The reason it does so is that the red part appears to be somewhat variegated in colour and to indicate darker (sooty?) pointing/cement between them.

However,   I am just a little dubious about this.  It never occurred to me that the upper,  blue-grey bricks were painted.  But I have seen at least one colour photograph which looked as if the lower,  red,  bit had indeed been painted over.  The effects in "your" photograph just could be due to dirtying-down of a coat of paint.  I've not so far been able to satisfy myself as to whether or not the red paint (which I think,  on the basis of photographs alone,  did exist at some time) was applied over red bricks!    Or when it was initially applied.

I'll have a hunt around such reference material as is in my possession,  but that cannot be for a couple of weeks,  since I am some 100 miles away from it in the meantime....

auldreekie

David,

I think that photograph suggests two different colours of bricks.  The reason it does so is that the red part appears to be somewhat variegated in colour and to indicate darker (sooty?) pointing/cement between them.

However,   I am just a little dubious about this.  It never occurred to me that the upper,  blue-grey bricks were painted.  But I have seen at least one colour photograph which looked as if the lower,  red,  bit had indeed been painted over.  The effects in "your" photograph just could be due to dirtying-down of a coat of paint.  I've not so far been able to satisfy myself as to whether or not the red paint (which I think,  on the basis of photographs alone,  did exist at some time) was applied over red bricks!    Or when it was initially applied.

I'll have a hunt around such reference material as is in my possession,  but that cannot be for a couple of weeks,  since I am some 100 miles away from it in the meantime....

auldreekie

Hi auldreekie

One thing I forgot to mention is that many of the other smaller buildings in the MPD are also in the same Red brickwork which would suggest either two different colour bricks were used or the blue brickwork is in fact painted.

But looking at my recent colour photo above and coming from the construction industry I would almost certainly say that two different colour bricks were used for the main shed walls.

Regards

David

------or is it just VERY sooty red brickwork in the upper reaches?  I puzzle over why two different colours of brickwork would have been used in a pseudo-decorative manner in so utilitarian a building.  But I certainly CAN see why,  if one decided to paint over the mucky bits,  one mightn't bother with the bits well out of reach.......

auldreekie