Haymarket 64B

landscapes

Good Afternoon All

I have just been over this morning to Railwayania who are based in Swindon to collect a new addition to my Haymarket 64B layout as a visiting engine.

It's the brand new Hornby K1 which has been superbly weathered and renumbered for me complete with new etched brass shed plate, it was one of a batch made up at the same time.

Out of interest and I do hope I am not breaking any RMWeb rules by advising members but if any one is interested they still have five additional K1's left for sale all brand new,weathered and renumbered as York based locomotives running numbers as follows, 62012, 62046, 62047 and two of 62065 all with late tender crests,

If anyone is interested please contact Railwayania in Swindon Wilts direct.

Photo of loco enclosed, and there will be a few more additions to the Haymarket fleet in the near future.

Regards

David

post-6557-0-04762100-1450183461_thumb.jpg

Edited by landscapes
  • Like 9

Hi 

A delivery came this morning in the shape of 25 lengths of 1 Meter flexi-track from C&L Finescale, lovely track work and well worth the additional cost

I have laid out most of the straight lengths with the intention of setting out the point work, my idea was to use the free templates down loaded from Peco's website then when the whole track layout is completed install the point work using points from C&L's own range.

Easier said then done, I am finding it a lot harder trying to match up the pointwork templates and make the curved lines from the running shed entrance all look symmetrical.

I enclose some photos of my first attempt, these photos show me that the layout is finally starting to take shape and hopefully show what I am trying to achieve.

Back to the point work, with so many curved points all leading to the main lines in a restricted space I do feel I am going to have to invest in getting someone to set the whole yard area out full size on Templet or on similar software as this has to be spot on becuase so many other issues rely on the whole layout being accurate.

I do feel a bit like a fish out of water with track laying, any suggestions will be more than welcomed.

One other point, I do intend if possible to create inspection pits running almost full length of the main shed eight running roads and also one tender loco length on the eight road's just outside the shed entrance as per the prototype.

Routing out these will obviously cause problems with the stability of my 9mm plywood top so I intend to overcome this by applying a 3mm thick board bonded to the underside of my 9mm plywood top below the inspection pit areas only, does anyone know if I do this will it cause the plywood to warp in any way?

Regards

David

post-6557-0-13579900-1450455058_thumb.jpg

post-6557-0-51047400-1450455071_thumb.jpg

post-6557-0-29606900-1450455086_thumb.jpg

post-6557-0-35065600-1450455103_thumb.jpg

Edited by landscapes
  • Like 12

Hi David 

That is looking very impressive. 

The challenge with track laying is always getting it to work right for the eye, and in that respect there's no substitute for getting out of the helicopter that we normally use to view our layouts, and looking along the railhead.

AT first glance I would say your alignment problems are coming from the fact that you're using the Peco curved point template which gives you a 5' outer radius and 3' inner which doesn't really work well when you're trying to do a fan.

Effectively your outside turn wants to curve at something like a 7'radius then you need the curves to drop in 3" increments to the inside curve, which is why proprietary point work is always going to cause you a compromise. One way you can ease the curve is to mix in some conventional large radius lefts so that you can ease the inner curves a bit - it may not reflect the prototype, but it could work out better visually.

In terms of the pits, I'd suggest you should look at the Peco pits - they are designed for a CODE 100/75 railhead to slide through the chairs so you can router out a channel and then drop them into the hole in the board  with the track pre loaded. IF you glue them in, this will restore  board stability. I'd also suggest that unless you plan to show the whole of the shed with roof off, then just run them into the first 12" or so as beyond that no-one will see them

Hope that helps

Hi David 

That is looking very impressive. 

The challenge with track laying is always getting it to work right for the eye, and in that respect there's no substitute for getting out of the helicopter that we normally use to view our layouts, and looking along the railhead.

AT first glance I would say your alignment problems are coming from the fact that you're using the Peco curved point template which gives you a 5' outer radius and 3' inner which doesn't really work well when you're trying to do a fan.

Effectively your outside turn wants to curve at something like a 7'radius then you need the curves to drop in 3" increments to the inside curve, which is why proprietary point work is always going to cause you a compromise. One way you can ease the curve is to mix in some conventional large radius lefts so that you can ease the inner curves a bit - it may not reflect the prototype, but it could work out better visually.

In terms of the pits, I'd suggest you should look at the Peco pits - they are designed for a CODE 100/75 railhead to slide through the chairs so you can router out a channel and then drop them into the hole in the board  with the track pre loaded. IF you glue them in, this will restore  board stability. I'd also suggest that unless you plan to show the whole of the shed with roof off, then just run them into the first 12" or so as beyond that no-one will see them

Hope that helps

Hi Peter

Thank you for your kind comments, what you are saying sounds regarding the paintwork sounds very technical as I have said before I have never tried laying track work before so I am not sure exactly what you mean, although I am sure you will be correct with your asumptions.

If I understand correct you are suggesting using larger radius turns on the outer four roads IE looking from left to right roads 2,4,6, and 8.

I said this was a bit of a nightmare to me and you are spot on about making it look right to the eye.

Regarding the inspection pits, I did think about using the Peco ones but I will need at least 32 of them and the cost would be just to much so I have decided to rout out the pits them overlay and stick down the C&L track, when fully bonded cut away the sleepers over the pit area and any bits of sleeper visible below the chairs will be buried in grime and cinders with PVA glue and as most of it will be inside the shed it should not notice to much.

Well thats the idea in theory.

Regards

David

Edited by landscapes

That doesn't look too bad to me David - I think it can be made to work.

One thing that is possible is to adjust the curvature of the points by cutting away some of the webbing beneath (nothing too drastic - it's surprising how much difference just the slightest tweak can make). I can post you some simple instructions for doing this.

The other thing to bear in mind is that although perfect flowing curves are the thing to aim for a stretch of mainline, you're dealing with a loco shed here - the odd kink and dip here and there would be perfectly prototypical (provided your stock can still run over it)

• Like 1

Hi 

A delivery came this morning in the shape of 25 lengths of 1 Meter flexi-track from C&L Finescale, lovely track work and well worth the additional cost

I have laid out most of the straight lengths with the intention of setting out the point work, my idea was to use the free templates down loaded from Peco's website then when the whole track layout is completed install the point work using points from C&L's own range.

Easier said then done, I am finding it a lot harder trying to match up the pointwork templates and make the curved lines from the running shed entrance all look symmetrical.

I enclose some photos of my first attempt, these photos show me that the layout is finally starting to take shape and hopefully show what I am trying to achieve.

Back to the point work, with so many curved points all leading to the main lines in a restricted space I do feel I am going to have to invest in getting someone to set the whole yard area out full size on Templet or on similar software as this has to be spot on becuase so many other issues rely on the whole layout being accurate.

I do feel a bit like a fish out of water with track laying, any suggestions will be more than welcomed.

One other point, I do intend if possible to create inspection pits running almost full length of the main shed eight running roads and also one tender loco length on the eight road's just outside the shed entrance as per the prototype.

Routing out these will obviously cause problems with the stability of my 9mm plywood top so I intend to overcome this by applying a 3mm thick board bonded to the underside of my 9mm plywood top below the inspection pit areas only, does anyone know if I do this will it cause the plywood to warp in any way?

Regards

David

I like the look of that!

• 1 month later...

Good Evening All

Well I had a go at planning the track layout for Haymarket 64B as shown in the photo above on item No 502 of this thread using paper templates from Peco and it was a total disaster and a waste of time.

So I decided to get Norman Saunders of "Just Tracks" to plot it all out for me using Templot, and a superb job he has done for me.

I believe it was Norman who planned the track layout for Gilbert's Peterborough North Layout as well, all my proposed track work will be in C&L Finescale track with hand built point-work. 

The only negative points highlighted were that I will need an additional 600mm x 1200mm baseboard making a total of nine boards in all with an overall layout length of 5,400 meters and also that I need around 30 turnout points to make it all work.

Obviously we could not plan the layout exactly the same as the real shed, for starters my main shed building is 725mm long with Six transverse roof sections the real shed had ten roof sections and at 4mm scale the shed building would have been just over 1200mm in length, which would have been to big to build and handle and far to expensive as well.

I enclose a photo below of the new track plan and there will be a few minor amendments to the track layout still to do, the photo does not do Norman's layout work real justice as I had to print and paste the two halves together for photographing as Templot is not user friendly with an Apple Mac.

The baseboards locations are also indicated on the enlaced photo below, also I had to reduce the four main running lines in front of the whole shed area down to two due to space restrictions.

Anyway I hope the enclosed is of interest, also half of the last board does not show below unless you click on the photo.

Regards

David

post-6557-0-30164400-1453575000_thumb.jpg

Edited by landscapes
  • Like 5

A very simple plan what will be eac end?

Hi David

At this stage I am not sure what will be done to finish of the West end of the layout.

The last few baseboards at each end of the layout will be tapered to reduce the width of the baseboards and there will be grass embankments to follow the contour of the west yard lines which segregated the yard from Murrayfield Stadium.

The east side will end with an embankment running north to south with a bridge spanning over the two main running lines, this was the case with the real location.

The bridge carried lines going round to Dalry Station and MPD all be it they were about half a mile further down.

Regards

David

Hi David,

With reference your inspection pits I attach photos of the ones I built into my Haymarket Cross layout. I routed out the plywood baseboard (9mm) and fitted the Peco code 75 units, the boards have not warped but as you are looking at building yours the full length of the shed it might be wise to add strengthening under them.

post-4401-0-86632000-1453630332_thumb.jpg

post-4401-0-65448300-1453630364_thumb.jpg

I used Peco code 75 track which I slid into the chairs on the pits after removing from sleepers, they have worked fine over the many shows we've attended.

I see you are using C&L trackwork, are you going to use their point kits as well? I ask because I am currently building a new 0 gauge shed layout with friends at my local model railway club. We are using C&L point kits which are really good and not that difficult to make (once you've got the hang of it)  

Cheers

Ian

• Like 1

Hi Ian

Thanks for your reply, I intend to do exactly what you have said.

My thoughts were the same as you in that routing out the grove for the inspection pits may weaken the boards so I intend to bond a thin ply or MDF board below the pit areas.

The way Norman has set the track work out we now have the main shed building centrally over two baseboards which will help with the pit work.

With regards to the point work yes I do intend to use C&L finescale turnout points but not sure if I have the skills to build them all myself so I might have a go at the first one and see how that goes from there.

I have budgeted to have them all built so I will wait and see how my first one turns out, I would like to do as much work as I can myself not only for the satisfaction but also to save on costs as well.

Interesting to here you say you are working on an O gauge layout, would that be an ECML layout again like your superb Haymarket Cross.

Regards

David

Edited by landscapes

Hi David,

Yes the 0 gauge whilst fictitious is based on BR North Eastern region early 60's, we are using photos of buildings, sheds, water towers and ash pits etc as per North Eastern design. There are six of us at our club working on it and we have just started purchasing locos for use on it. I sold some of my '00' locos to help towards the cost of what I've bought up to now.

I now have an LH Loveless A4 'Mallard' and a Golden Age A2 'Irish Elegance '  they are truly stunning. 

Ian

Where is the "smiley" for "massively jealous"??? Loveless and Golden age locos? Yes please...........

Will you post any pics? Or at least some construction notes, photos etc? For us "modellers" who would love to DO something, but are at present, limited to reading what others do?? Please?

I don't want to hijack David's thread but I'll post a couple of photos of Mallard I took recently, unfortunately the photos don't do it justice. Its aprox 21" long and weighs a ton!

post-4401-0-73714200-1453660804_thumb.jpg

post-4401-0-86578300-1453660839_thumb.jpg

As yet I haven't done any photos of the A2 but will do some soon. 

Ian

• Like 3

I don't want to hijack David's thread but I'll post a couple of photos of Mallard I took recently, unfortunately the photos don't do it justice. Its aprox 21" long and weighs a ton!

attachicon.gif60022 A.jpg

attachicon.gif60022 C.jpg

As yet I haven't done any photos of the A2 but will do some soon. 

Ian

Hi Ian

Don't worry about any hijacking, that model looks stunning please feel free to post any additional photos.

Regards

David

• 2 weeks later...

Good Afternoon All

Started work on the first two baseboards this week, my first task is to set out the inspection pits to the main running shed both internal and external, and also the wagon pit below the coaling tower hoist, then get them all routed out.

Comparing the prototype layout to my templet layout I have decided not to install inspection pits to the external area just outside the shed's west elevation, the main reason being to get the whole layout onto nine 600mm wide boards.

Therefore the west yard track layout has been just slightly condensed down so instead of almost straight track work outside the shed my layout will have slightly curved tracks which will make it more difficult to install inspection pits and I don't think they would look right either, see post 507 above.

A few photos enclosed of progress to date.

Regards

David

post-6557-0-65421100-1454949701_thumb.jpg

post-6557-0-30321200-1454949720_thumb.jpg

post-6557-0-27519100-1454949738_thumb.jpg

post-6557-0-65088000-1454949751_thumb.jpg

Edited by landscapes
  • Like 9

• 3 weeks later...

Good Morning All

I am after some help, I enclose a sketch I have prepared highlighting a cover plate on the top side of most LNER Pacific's boilers

I am not sure but is this called the Super Heater Cover, and does anyone know if anyone produces them in OO scale so I can obtain a pair of them in either plastic or resin or even white metal.

Regards

David

post-6557-0-30616200-1456650880_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Good Morning All

I am after some help, I enclose a sketch I have prepared highlighting a cover plate on the top side of most LNER Pacific's boilers

I am not sure but is this called the Super Heater Cover, and does anyone know if anyone produces them in OO scale so I can obtain a pair of them in either plastic or resin or even white metal.

Regards

David

You have mail. Love what your doing with the layout....

• 3 months later...

Good Evening All

It has been quite a while since my last post.

In that time I have been busy working on the first four baseboards,for the support framework I have used the beam method as shown in Barry Norman's 'Landscape Modelling Book" this consist of two strips of 9mm thick plywood with 20mm softwood blocks between.

It is still quite light in weight and I am told less chance of the support framework twisting, I have also faced all four boards with Rubberised Cork Sheets from C&L Finescale Ltd, which were specially cut to size the suite my 600mm x 1200mm board size.

The rubberised cork sheet is far more durable than just using ordinary cork tiles or sheeting as it is impossible to tear.

I am at present fabricating all the inspection pits both in and outside the main shed building and there a quire a few of them, then it's back to re-sticking the Templot track sheets back down onto the cork sheet facing so I can start track laying.

Photos enclosed showing works to date including the beam method support framework plus three of the almost completed baseboards with some building positioned to get an idea of what the layout will look like.

just to give an idea of the layout size the photos show the middle three 600mm wide baseboards, there will be three additional 600mm baseboards either side of these giving an overall layout length of 18 feet or 5,500 meters.

Regards

David 

post-6557-0-23681000-1466445394_thumb.jpg

post-6557-0-31125800-1466445423_thumb.jpg

post-6557-0-27598800-1466445446_thumb.jpg

post-6557-0-52323800-1466445463_thumb.jpg

post-6557-0-21554900-1466445489_thumb.jpg

post-6557-0-89170700-1466445508_thumb.jpg

post-6557-0-40530600-1466445527_thumb.jpg

post-6557-0-58258700-1466445543_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

Good Afternoon 

I will be the first to admit I know very little about LNER coaches and their model versions as well.

I have always like the look of the model Third Brake Coaches, many of them seen on some of the well stablished and very good layouts on RMweb such as Gilbert's Peterborough North and Tony Wright's Little Bytham.

A few weeks ago a selection of coaches came up for sale on EBay all listed as "Kit built Coaches" going for in my opinion reasonable prices and I was surprised to see there was very little interest in them.

Among them were three various types of Third Brake so I put in bids for two of them one for £24.00 and the other for £22.00 and purchased them both.

I am not sure what the bodies are made from but from the ease of drilling them I would assume they are both plastic bodies.

I have since added door handles and grab rails using 0.6 mm brass wire and weathered them both, I am still looking for some decent brass D Handles for the doors.

Photos enclosed below.

I would welcome any comments, in your own opinions did I get a bargain or a pair of Turkeys.

Regards

David

post-6557-0-77704000-1467117246_thumb.jpg

post-6557-0-67277700-1467117271_thumb.jpg

post-6557-0-04673000-1467117285_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Hi 

A bit more progress on the layout today, I have constructed the wagon hoist pit to the coaling tower using 0.75mm thick plasticard sheeting and plastic sections.

Sorry not very good photos as they were taken with an IPhone in gloomy conditions.

I have also found that although I am not track laying just yet I have to work out the scenic areas to the North side of the shed as this will determine how much the 1200mm wide dimension to some of the baseboards will be reduced and these will then need to be cut down to size before I face them with cork sheeting and build up the support framework.

Regards

David

post-6557-0-26854500-1467146893_thumb.jpg

post-6557-0-68696600-1467146913_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

I know this is a Model Railway Website but being a big big tennis fan I just have to say.

Well done Andy Murray Wimbledon Champion 2016 just great.

More Haymarket Photos to follow soon.

Regards

David

Evening All

I am finally beginning to make some good progress now on Haymarket64B.

The first four baseboards are now fully constructed and my next task is to build the support framework to each modular baseboard to get them off the carpet so I can commence track laying, the idea of soldering drop wires to each section of track seems like brain surgery to me having never held a soldering iron in my life.

The first three hand built turnout points were collected on Friday from Norman Saunders of "Just Tracks", I cannot underestimate how helpful Norman has been in getting the baseboards to this stage, without his help and guidance I would have made many time consuming and costly mistakes.

I enclose three photos taken yesterday to give an idea of what is to come in the future, there is still lots of work to do just to get these four boards up and running.

The first photo also shows the three new points, two by the turntable plus one up by the coaling stage, only another twenty six points to be made.

I could not resist positioning one of my A4's on the turntable just to finally show a locomotive on the layout.

Also looking at the details to build up the shed floor level with the track top.

Anyway three new photos enclosed I hope they are on interest.

Regards

David

post-6557-0-67848100-1468259922_thumb.jpg

post-6557-0-72127400-1468259957_thumb.jpg

post-6557-0-10549800-1468260192_thumb.jpg

• Like 14