Exhibiting a layout - What should I do?

On the strength of the photos of Llanfyllin in the layout forum, I have received a couple of invites to get it out of the shed and put it on display, albeit as a work in progress at the moment. Quite frankly, I would love to, but, the thought terrifies me, so much could go wrong, etc, etc.

My question is as a lone modeller, what can I do to ready myself for this giant leap of faith?

As a start I have contacted the organisers of my local show and offered my services as a helper, I need to get to know people, my local show is Wigan. (might as well aim high to start with!)

It is provisionally booked for 2014 so I have some time to get ready

It's over 30 years since I did my first exhibition, and I haven't done one for a long time, but I made sure I was really well organised. My layout and all the bits fitted in my car, with room for one passenger. I had a set order for loading and unloading, and did it on my own using a mental checklist of everything, so I knew that I left home with everything, and arrived home with it all. The worst thing was "helpful" people who brought things out of the exhibition hall in the wrong order when I was packing up, and risked messing up the routine! Helpers who did what I asked were appreciated though! I always checked the area of the hall after loading up to make sure nothing was left behind.

I'm not the most sociable person in the world, but can talk confidently about things I know well, and had no problem chatting to visitors about the layout, as I knew everything about it, having built the thing! I tended to let the one helper I could fit in the car, and anyone else I knew who turned up at the show, do much of the operating, so I was fairly free to talk.

I'm sure my first show wasn't that well organised, and it was probably one of my club's events, so not far from home if I did forget anything, but I don't remember any disasters. If your layout is work in progress, you have a good excuse if you leave that vital bit behind - you haven't made it yet!!!! Just get everything organised well in advance, make sure it will fit in the vehicle, and don't worry.

- Time how long it takes you to take the layout down, and put it up again.

- Make sure everything has reasonably secure things in which to travel. Baseboard edge protectors/carriers. (Buildings?)

- Ensure everything can fit in your transport (power supplies, control boxes, toolboxes, stockboxes, chairs, it's surprising how much these take up)

- Don't know whether you have a lighting rig, but these can take up a huge amount of travelling space.

If you're not satisfied with any of the above, or hate working to someone else's deadlines, politely decline any exhibiting requests until you are happy about them.

• RMweb Gold

Do you have a skirting or some cover to the front of the layout to hide the legs and everything under the boards?

Any material skirting should be fireproofed - this is a requirement of many shows.

We use a light cotton material in a plain colour obtained from a dress makers or such section in a department store. The edges of the materials have been stitched by my other half and Velcro sewn on. Self adhesive Velcro is applied to hte layout fascis.Cans of spray fire retardent have been usedon the skirting material and hung up to dry.

Carry a plug in circuit breaker. Some shows insist you use one whilst some others inist you dont - all depends on the venues electrical circuit protection system. Make sure you have enough extension leads to run from soemwhere behind your layout to all electrical items under / along your layout. Shows will often provide you with just one socket soemwhere in the vicinity of your layout. Mark your extension leads to you know which are yours when you come to pack up.

Try not to take everything including the kitchen sink as you have to fit it into your transport then lug it into the venue and back again but do make sure you have glue to fix any lose items, soldering iron and solder for any wires that may come loose however good your wiring is, spanners etc.

If you need stools then get some folding ones from a DIY store. Ors came from Ikea but I think they stopped selling them some years ago. Exhibitions may be able to provide you chairs should you need them but not stools.

Do you have delicate items along hte ront of the layout? If so you may need ot make sure the show organisers have barriers or you can fit perspex. Anything loose on the front should be stuck down as some people will touch things and they may well get prodded and fall off or worse.

Many will say layout lighting is a must. We did numerous shows to start with years ago without lighting. If you can find out how bright the location in the hall is, you may be able to do without lighting. Its your choice if you want lighting or not especially if you do not intend to do many shows.

Your first show will no doubt feel daunting but you are there to enjoy yourself as much as the people coming to view the show.

Ian

Above all be prepared!

Before the show:

• Practice putting up/taking down the layout and time how long it takes (find out now where it is awkward to get a spanner to!)
  • Make sure it does all fit in the intended transport vehicle (and how).
  • Have a practice operating session (ideally with the rest of the crew for the weekend) find out what works and what doesn't in advance.
  • Make a list of everything you need to take with you including the obvious (e.g. a friend once arrived at a show with the layout but no stock to run on it, while another forgot the layout legs!).
  • Plan your route to the show and timings (ideally to allow you a leisurely set-up and time to relax afterwards)

For during the show:

• Make sure you have all the tools/spares you need to keep the layout going through the weekend from loco servicing, to electrical faults. Include at least one spare controller and carry spare point motors etc - there's no guarentee you will be able to buy replacements at the show.
  • Confirm what catering/refreshment provision there is at the show. Provide your own supplies as necessary to fill any gaps.
  • Make sure you have enough staff available to keep the layout fully operational and cover meal breaks/allow you time to look round and enjoy the rest of the show.

For after the show:

• Assuming you aren't put off by the first show and want to do others, have printed details ready to hand out to other exhibition managers. This should include contact details; all the other relevant info he needs to plan the show such as size of layout, no of operators, transport requirements, power consumption; and description+track plan for the show guide.
  • Don't expect everything to be perfect and go to plan first time out, but do learn from it and make a list of what to do different next time.

• RMweb Gold

As a start I have contacted the organisers of my local show and offered my services as a helper, I need to get to know people,

Sounds like a perfect first move ;) find a couple of people who you get on with to share duties behind the layout and you'll have a much less stressful time.

Follow the advice above and in the other thread and tick things off the checklist as you load up and you'll be fine.

Good luck

If it's a "work in progress", it doesn't have to work. Treat it as a discussion point, show techniques, have some plans, be prepared to say how and why you did things in that way.

• RMweb Gold

I was in exactly the same position as you about a year ago when I was asked to take my layout to the Model Rail Group Members Day this April. The layout wasn't anywhere near finished but it gave me the spur to get it somewhere near complete. You have received some good advice already especially from Roundhouse and PLD and my advice being a lone modeller is to find at least one other operator that you can trust and get on with to help. I took the wife who quite frankly wasn't really interested. I got away with some slack operating with it being a members day and a relaxed atmosphere but I would have been embarrassed if that had been the situation at an exhibition with paying punters expecting something better and quite rightly so.

Andy's suggestion would probably be the best way to take the plunge and test the water. I'm glad I did with MRG and feel I'm ready now to take mine on the road if the opportunity arises.

• RMweb Gold

It is a good idea to help out at your local club first. If possible get to help out on one of the layouts it will give you an idea of what its is like. More pertinantly you will get some appreciation of what it is like operating someone else's layout, so you will no just what kind of support your operators will need. You willremember what switch does what and that loco is not suitable for that siding etc. they will not and you need to make sure these things are clear. It does not matter what scale layout you operate. Experience of helping on friends 00 and N gauge layouts was useful when it came to my 0 gauge layout.

Try to avoid taking newly completed stock along. I know it is tempting but an exhibition is not the time and place for running things in or having bits fall off.

I found having a separate base support which I could set up and then place the baseboards on it was very useful although it probably added weight.

BTW it was all good fun.

Don

Just a couple of comments.

Shows which are aimed at the fairly serious modeller are a good place for a work in progress, but make sure you have plenty of time to talk to people about what you're doing and how, and if possible have some display material to show. (Shows aimed at the general public are all right too, but in this case you need a lot more display materials and must be certain to have something at least running reliably, as a lot of visitors at these shows just come 'to watch the trains' and will be disappointed if there aren't any, and may make their displeasure known!)

Do make sure you can get everything there and back safely (and safely includes making certain that nothing will be nicked out of your car while your back is turned!) and that you know how long it will take to set up and take down; and arrive at the show as early as possible.

Conversely, leave the show as late as possible consistent with getting home safely. Every Exhibition Manager in the world has a little list of those charming people who turn up and have a lovely time running their trains, then push off home as quickly as possible at the end, leaving everyone else to clear up, sweep the floor and so on. These people tend not to get invited back!

Totally agree with the comments made, a check list sO you do not forget anything is vital in the panic of packing!!

I also always pack a small box of spare scenics to do touching up at the start of a show.

The most important advice is to enjoy yourself, exhibiting is great fun!!!

Best wishes

Simon

• RMweb Gold

Totally agree with the comments made, a check list sO you do not forget anything is vital in the panic of packing!!

I also always pack a small box of spare scenics to do touching up at the start of a show.

The most important advice is to enjoy yourself, exhibiting is great fun!!!

Best wishes

Simon

That reminds me I used to take a small tester pot of midsummer blue to touch up finger marks on the sky backscene.

Don

Include a strip of carpet to stand on with your exhibition kit. Your feet will thank you for it.

As for lighting, despite what the earlier poster said, I think it's essential for a layout to be properly (and sympathetically) lit.

steve

• RMweb Gold

As for lighting, despite what the earlier poster said, I think it's essential for a layout to be properly (and sympathetically) lit.

steve

It is if you are using three links!

Don

Not sure if this really falls under the same thread, but it's pretty similar... I'm in the very early stages of building a layout which, in my dreams at least, may one day be exhibited. Earlier than the tips given above, are there any pointers people could give for the building of a layout, which would prove helpful to exhibiting later on? (Aside from "make it good" :D)

Not sure if this really falls under the same thread, but it's pretty similar... I'm in the very early stages of building a layout which, in my dreams at least, may one day be exhibited. Earlier than the tips given above, are there any pointers people could give for the building of a layout, which would prove helpful to exhibiting later on? (Aside from "make it good" :D)

I'm not sure if there has been a thread for it...

but if there hasn't been then,

1. transport. How do you intend to bring the layout from home to the show, and back ?

2. Set up time/take down time

3. Ease of set up (leveling of layout)

4. Running ability

5. Neatness/completeness

Most of the other questions can be foffed under one of the above- the very first thing, to think about if you are designing a layout for exibition, is how are you going to get it from A to B? Smart Car? 5 Ton Lorry? Carry on Luggage on a airplane ? Full sized van with trailer? (I have 3 of those 4 covered...)

Once you decide how you are intending on transporting the layout, then the how long to set up will be answered- in part, it may be answered by the transport question, depending on the layout. For example, with the Lego, it takes a lot of vehicles (volume) to transport a layout, and it takes a lot of time to set up a layout, (volume related). Even where I have gone to segmented construction (about 10x20" pieces, 32x64 studs if you know lego), it still takes quite a lot more time to put together a lego layout than a 'proper' train layout, because the setup is so different.

The ease of set up is also covered, as the Lego takes quite a bit more time, but is relatively insensitive to level variation, so the base can be (and is) normal tables, with gaps between them, and just straight onto the floor of wherever we are.

The next two are a bit more subjective- I'd put running ability to be higher than scenery, but there are some fantastic scenic layouts out there. In any event, you want one or the other of those to be dead on, and the other then plays 2nd fiddle. For invites to more classy shows, both are equally important- a layout that requires finger pushing isn't in the first league of layouts, nor is one that looks like all it's scenery fell out of a 1950's skit on toy trains.

James

Having shown club sized and private layouts for the last umpteen years, there's good advice given above, but one thing missing (apart from the kettle) is to mkae sure there's always something running!

So many layouts I've seen look good but I stand there for ages and nothing moves! Back in the late 1980's or early 90's I built a small German layout, at the time it was track on baseboards with no scenics, all very basic. I got a last minute invite to Hemel Hemstead show, so I reluctantly took it along. I had literally hundreds of people stop and watch the layout. I started to wonder why, especially as there were other far prettier complete layouts there.

The answer was: it works! I'd used the then new Peco finescale track, the German stock ran remarkably well and the Kadee couplings were a dream, The fact the layout WORKED kept the crowds amused.

Archived