Scottish Locomotives

kingfisher24

Those are seriously nice models of the J36 and Atlantic - well done.

I hadn't realised the Bachmann 3F was that close to a J36 dimension wise to make a conversion possible, certainly food for thought when considering tackling the PDK kit.

The wheelbase isnt a million miles ou and at 5'2" on the full size the wheels are slightly too big as the j36 had 5' wheels but i thought better slightly too big rather than the pannier wheels i used before, the running plate is also slightly too long but only by a few mm so i extended the cab side sheets to suit.

Gary

After viewing some of the spectacular locos on this thread I thought I might share some of my meagre kit-built Scottish locos. Apologies for the poor photo quality.

N15%20pic_zpst39rujc2.jpg

An N15/1 built from a 52F kit as 69224 during its brief stint at Keith shed. New addition to the fleet with only the smokebox plate still to do.

d40%20pic_zpsvtx8m7op.jpg

A D40 from a pdk kit built as 62277 "Gordon Highlander" also of Keith shed (minus the name plates). My favourite class of loco, but it needs its poor wonky boiler bands redone (made the amateur mistake of using card for the boiler bands which disintegrated when using the waterslide transfer lining!)

K2%20pic%202_zpsffxmjhxd.jpg

K2 61783 "Loch Shiel" again from Keith Shed. My second favourite loco and built from a nu-cast kit. However I need to find a way of toning down the running gear...

J36%20Pic_zpsf2nauac2.jpg

My attempt at a J36 from a pdk kit heavily butchered to fit on a Bachmann pannier chassis. Not quite as convincing as Kingfisher's astounding kit/scratchbuilt effort (note the horible boiler deformation between the centre splashers to fit the chassis motor!). I'm thinking of taking it to pieces and reconstructing it with a proper chassis.

Caley%20Pic_zpsbaludevp.jpg

Lastly a Caley 0-6-0T refurbished and re-detailed from a secondhand Wills kit. A good runner, but can't go round my second radius curves!

I'm currently building a C16 from a Cotswold kit so will post when that is completed. Nice to see so many different Scottish locos on this thread, lets keep it up!

Adam

• Like 8

After viewing some of the spectacular locos on this thread I thought I might share some of my meagre kit-built Scottish locos. Apologies for the poor photo quality.

N15%20pic_zpst39rujc2.jpg

An N15/1 built from a 52F kit as 69224 during its brief stint at Keith shed. New addition to the fleet with only the smokebox plate still to do.

d40%20pic_zpsvtx8m7op.jpg

A D40 from a pdk kit built as 62277 "Gordon Highlander" also of Keith shed (minus the name plates). My favourite class of loco, but it needs its poor wonky boiler bands redone (made the amateur mistake of using card for the boiler bands which disintegrated when using the waterslide transfer lining!)

K2%20pic%202_zpsffxmjhxd.jpg

K2 61783 "Loch Shiel" again from Keith Shed. My second favourite loco and built from a nu-cast kit. However I need to find a way of toning down the running gear...

My attempt at a J36 from a pdk kit heavily butchered to fit on a Bachmann pannier chassis. Not quite as convincing as Kingfisher's astounding kit/scratchbuilt effort (note the horible boiler deformation between the centre splashers to fit the chassis motor!). I'm thinking of taking it to pieces and reconstructing it with a proper chassis.

Caley%20Pic_zpsbaludevp.jpg

Lastly a Caley 0-6-0T refurbished and re-detailed from a secondhand Wills kit. A good runner, but can't go round my second radius curves!

I'm currently building a C16 from a Cotswold kit so will post when that is completed. Nice to see so many different Scottish locos on this thread, lets keep it up!

Adam

very nice locos in these snaps, as regards the j36 the pannier chassis is what i used originally but the more i looked at it the more it looked wrong, thats why i opted for the Bachmann 3f chassis with the larger wheels, the wheelbase is near enogh and the wheels are slightly too big but id rather  have something that is slightly over size than something which is too small. 

i particularly like the d40, i hav always wanted one and do it in as first preserved livery but the banks anccount (and the wife) say NO haha

gary

• Like 2

very nice locos in these snaps, as regards the j36 the pannier chassis is what i used originally but the more i looked at it the more it looked wrong, thats why i opted for the Bachmann 3f chassis with the larger wheels, the wheelbase is near enogh and the wheels are slightly too big but id rather  have something that is slightly over size than something which is too small. 

i particularly like the d40, i hav always wanted one and do it in as first preserved livery but the banks anccount (and the wife) say NO haha

gary

and as regards the boiler liing on the d40, you would be better just putting the lining transfers directly onto the boiler, if you think on the real thing the boiler bands were wafer thin and we always make them too thick (i know that on a cast boiler they are more difficult to get rid of) but you really would be better just to put the lining directly onto the boiler. it will give a better finish.

gary

and as regards the boiler liing on the d40, you would be better just putting the lining transfers directly onto the boiler, if you think on the real thing the boiler bands were wafer thin and we always make them too thick (i know that on a cast boiler they are more difficult to get rid of) but you really would be better just to put the lining directly onto the boiler. it will give a better finish.

gary

Thanks Gary, I might just do that. I used card because of how thin the boiler bands appear, but it ended up backfiring.

As for the J36, the pannier chassis has increasingly annoyed me too as the standard of my kit building got better. I think I could probably tackle the proper chassis now instead of using rtr and attempt to 'un-bash' the body.

Adam

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Interesting to see the sheer amount of Scottish locos modelled here..didn't realise we were so popular!

Some very good models and hopefully I might add a few more from the corners of our trainset.

First is an old pic showing a Caley 0-4-4T in the bay at Alloa station ..and below similar shot of model although taken from memory or would have moved the stock!

attachicon.gifDSC05062.jpg

attachicon.gifDSC_0700.jpg

J37 in yard

attachicon.gifDSC_0817-1.jpg

J88 at shed

attachicon.gifIMG_1010 - Version 3.jpg

Jumbo at Platform

attachicon.gifDSC_0709 - Version 2.jpg

0-4-4T in Bay

attachicon.gifDSC_4765.jpg

Finally Caley 762 Class 0-6-0 56246

attachicon.gifDSC_1026.jpg

Very nice i always like seeing snaps of alloa, im guessing the j37 is pdk or is it the old nb models loco, i have an nb models example and it lloks very good for the age of it, secondly im assuming the j88 to be a bec example.

Is the layout being exhibited in scotland any time soon.

Gary

I cant remember if this has been posted before but, anyways the snap of 68335 on Alloa by vital spark made me want to upload one of 68334.post-10572-0-83499900-1440964944_thumb.jpg

I am currently working on another two j88's but at the moment just the bodies are being done as the electrotren chassis arent cheap. I could use terrier chassis but whilst they run well and i have two of them, they sont look right when sat beside the finer electrotren chassis model.

Gary

• Like 6

I cant remember if this has been posted before but, anyways the snap of 68335 on Alloa by vital spark made me want to upload one of 68334.attachicon.gifimage.jpg

I am currently working on another two j88's but at the moment just the bodies are being done as the electrotren chassis arent cheap. I could use terrier chassis but whilst they run well and i have two of them, they sont look right when sat beside the finer electrotren chassis model.

Gary

Just don't make one them 68341 unless your depicting a very easily BR period as it went into Kirkcaldy harbour I believe in 1954 and was withdrawn soon after.

Very nice i always like seeing snaps of alloa, im guessing the j37 is pdk or is it the old nb models loco, i have an nb models example and it lloks very good for the age of it, secondly im assuming the j88 to be a bec example.

Gary

Thanks Gary for the kind comments.

I didn't have anything to do with the build of either of these two but I do have an unbuilt NB J37 and I'm sure its the same.

I will recheck the J88 when down at club this week and let you know.

Next outing for Alloa will be at Wakefield in November followed by the Modelrail Scotland 50th anniversary show at the SECC in Glasgow in Feb '16.

Looking forward to both of these shows as Alloa is nearing its last years on the exhibition circuit..we have a new Scottish layout under construction in the same vein..bit bigger at over 40ft and will feature a wider sphere of operation from pacifics to Caley tanks.

We think it will be a great exhibition layout with plenty of action and like Alloa is being hand built from drawings and photographs so hopefully be as good visually and as accurate.

Still at baseboard stages although signals have been started by our member with the fetish for lattice posts…every group has one!

Dave

Just for a change a shot without a loco..or the way Alloa was for most of the working day!

post-2371-0-79876000-1441045617_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

Gary

The J88 is, believe it or not, from the Jidenco Kit! (Don't ask me ever to do another one!)

Edited to add the J37 is the NB models Kit.

Edited by ScRSG
  • Like 1

The J88 is, believe it or not, from the Jidenco Kit! (Don't ask me ever to do another one!)

Edited to add the J37 is the NB models Kit.

Bless him..he grumps about all the kits he builds for Alloa and says he is doing no more…but he makes a great job of them so we just ignore his moans.

He went on about the Judith Edge shunters for a month…

The aforementioned Jidenco J88 showing not a sign of the grief it caused...

post-2371-0-59930100-1441055906_thumb.jpg

..and the famous shunters that hastened his grey hair.. 

post-2371-0-56894800-1441055940_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

Bless him..he grumps about all the kits he builds for Alloa and says he is doing no more…but he makes a great job of them so we just ignore his moans.

He went on about the Judith Edge shunters for a month…

The aforementioned Jidenco J88 showing not a sign of the grief it caused...

attachicon.gifDSC_0855_2.jpg

..and the famous shunters that hastened his grey hair.. 

attachicon.gifDSC_0810.jpg

Ahh i had forgotten about the jidenco j88 kit, i have a body of one lying in the shed, but as ive built one from rtr parts i have done nothing more as yet, i will be at glasgow with the edinburgh lot and will be over to say hello. Although its my youngest little girls 2nd birthday over the weekend of model rail so will no be there all weekend this time.

Keep the pictures coming.

Gary

Ahh i had forgotten about the jidenco j88 kit, i have a body of one lying in the shed, but as ive built one from rtr parts i have done nothing more as yet, i will be at glasgow with the edinburgh lot and will be over to say hello. Although its my youngest little girls 2nd birthday over the weekend of model rail so will no be there all weekend this time.

Keep the pictures coming.

Gary

Say hello indeed Gary..make yourself known at the train set.

Dave (Scott)..there are four 'Daves' in our small group..its been rumoured that its a requirement to get past the enquiry stage!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Pete Westwater was a few years older than me and got to go along and photograph the recovery. It was done on a Sunday as otherwise all of the J88s used would have been on their regular duties. I was made to go to Sunday School and only got there with my parents when the loco was already dangling out of the water. I have always been glad to have Pete's photos as a record.

I think that the loco could have been repaired but with diesel shunters just about to hit the scene it was not felt to be worth the expense.  When 224 was rebuilt after the Tay Bridge disaster it was still "state of the art" and had many years of potential use in front of it.

Years ago I had a model, built from one of the rare NB models J88 kits which I finished in satin black with the more modern BR crest and numbered  68341 as in my model world she was rebuilt and sent north on loan to work a distillery branch.  Went when I changed to EM, another sale that I now regret.

best wishes,

Ian

Edited by Ian Kirk
  • Like 2

Hi,

Pete Westwater was a few years older than me and got to go along and photograph the recovery. It was done on a Sunday as otherwise all of the J88s used would have been on their regular duties. I was made to go to Sunday School and only got there with my parents when the loco was already dangling out of the water. I have always been glad to have Pete's photos as a record.

I think that the loco could have been repaired but with diesel shunters just about to hit the scene it was not felt to be worth the expense.  When 224 was rebuilt after the Tay Bridge disaster it was still "state of the art" and had many years of potential use in front of it.

Years ago I had a model, built from one of the rare NB models J88 kits which I finished in satin black with the more modern BR crest and numbered  68341 as in my model world she was rebuilt and sent north on loan to work a distillery branch.  Went when I changed to EM, another sale that I now regret.

best wishes,

Ian

When you think that the gorgie pilot 68335 lasted to '62 its a pity it wasn't considered for preservation as the loco was fitted for shunting gorgie east yards etc.

Gary

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Adam

Hi Adam I singled this out as I went down this route with a Bachmann pannier chassis when scratch building a jumbo and in the end gave up on the Bachman chassis and have now turned to a Hornby chassis as even though the motor is a bit longer (About 1 to 1.5mm) the motor sits up right Where as the Bachmann motor is a can motor sat on its widest side, this means the amount cut out at the bottom of the boiler is a lot less for the Hornby motor and the splashers on the center axle can hide it better.

Its early days yet but here's some picture of some of the bits sat on the Hornby chassis. For some of the parts I'm using the running plate (cut down to the right length) The cab, smoke box , chimney and tender from the GBL Caledonian single static model to help with the build. These will all be altered as required.

Picture one the parts salvaged from the GBL single

post-17847-0-75976200-1444540491.jpg

Next is the Hornby chassis cut down to the correct length and also with some of the block in front of the motor mount cut away to give it some daylight under the forward part of the boiler, the bit remaining is just enough to mount the motor retaining screw in.

post-17847-0-42842500-1444540435.jpg

Two final pictures of the parts loosely sat on the Hornby chassis.

post-17847-0-44002600-1444540524.jpg

post-17847-0-23229100-1444540468.jpg

Hope you can see the potential. Steve

• Like 5