Scottish Locomotives

kingfisher24

Thanks Andy as you know I was privy but didn't want to give the game away. Looking forward to this build as when you start it will be about the same time as I start in earnest on the jumbo.

Oh and I think I may have found the boiler for the jumbo as well. Noticed this while sorting through a draw, it belongs to Wendy but I fear its going to have to make the sacrifice for the greater good. its just a fraction under 18mm (17.5mm to be exact) so perfect for the jumbo just the right size to maybe put a 5 thou wrap over it for the smooth transition from boiler to firebox side.

post-17847-0-30971800-1445307153_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Hi Steve, is that marker a true cylinder?  All the ones I've looked at have been tapered.

Hi Andy, there was a short article in the Railway Modeller, probably around 1970, "A Barney from a Bec" describing this conversion.  The main issues were dropping the boiler height by 3mm and shortening the footplate.  The builder (A.T. Condie) used a Caley chimney and smokebox door from a Ks 0-4-4T kit and settled for a slightly off tender by converting the Bec one.  However he notes a T9 bogie tender would represent a good number of the class members.  He also says replacing the dome and safety valves would give a reboilered version.  Your half mark was very fair, good luck. 

Hi Alan

I'll run the calipers over it but I'm pretty sure that its parallel for at least 3/4 of its length certainly enough to get a jumbo boiler barrel out of

Well it is tapered but ever so slightly. The main body is 9 cm long and I need 6 cm for a jumbo boiler, the pen looses 1/2mm over its full length going from 18mm down to 17.5mm. If I cut a 6 cm section off then the difference is only 1/4mm at the point I'll cut it and I was going to wrap it so that's no great problem I can hide that easily, the problem with it is how thick the tube is and that its made of polyurethane which is not a good plastic to work with. With an 18mm tube if the walls are about 2mm then it means an inside diameter of only about 14mm which is hardly any room for the motor. Still its not a priority job so I might just sit on it and see what else I spot before committing my self to the pen.

Steve

• RMweb Premium

Hi Steve, is that marker a true cylinder?  All the ones I've looked at have been tapered.

Hi Andy, there was a short article in the Railway Modeller, probably around 1970, "A Barney from a Bec" describing this conversion.  The main issues were dropping the boiler height by 3mm and shortening the footplate.  The builder (A.T. Condie) used a Caley chimney and smokebox door from a Ks 0-4-4T kit and settled for a slightly off tender by converting the Bec one.  However he notes a T9 bogie tender would represent a good number of the class members.  He also says replacing the dome and safety valves would give a reboilered version.  Your half mark was very fair, good luck. 

Indeed that is the article I followed, although I have used parts from Nu-cast Small Ben and others from the bits box. The worst bit is getting the cab right, I'm still not sure I'm there!

Andy G

Check this picture out.

post-17847-0-72404300-1445459412_thumb.jpg

No the frustration of modeling hasn't pushed me over the edge on to a down wood spiral but after asking Wendy if she could keep her eyes open for some thing that might be suitable to make the jumbo's boiler from she went for a rummage round and came back with an assortment of bits and bobs like make up tubes old cigar cases etc. But one item that jumped out at me and after a quick check was found to be exactly 18mm in diameter was this syringe. My daughter can get them from her work (she works at an animal sanctuary and they use them for giving medicine to the dogs) So she's going to get me some more but as I said its exactly 18mm and thin walled so will be perfect.

Edited by Londontram
  • Like 4

Will it take solvent and or paint?  The plastic is somewhat slippery in my experience?

Ah now this remains to be seen, probable not plastic solvents but there are always alternatives so I'm sure with trial and error I'll find something that I can use. As to being to smooth I can soon run some fine wet and fry over it to give a surface the paint can adhere too. So maybe not perfect in the true sense but hay in the land of blind as they say,

and in the slightly adapted words of Oddball

"So many negative vibes Moriarty, its a mother beautiful tube you've just got to think positively"

Edit - Wendy just found this in a cupboard it held mini cake sparklers from one of the major super markets and is alluminium and again exactly 18mm so now I have a choice.

post-17847-0-54641800-1445500315_thumb.jpg

Edited by Londontram
  • Like 1

It looks like we may have our first RTR G&SWR loco!  OK, there is a big risk it may not be in the right livery (although it has been suggested on the Hornby Engine Shed forum) but Hornby's Peckett W4, which is under development, is the same type as GSW 735, later 16043.

Ian@stenochs has naturally done one in the big scale and gives its history at http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/70407-locomotive-railway-carriage-wagon-review/ - go to post #10.

• Like 4

Hi,

I thought I would upload a record shot of a couple of locos which have just come off my workbench.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Both locomotives could have been seen chimney to chimney although they would both have been in LMS livery. Both were shedded at Hurlford for a while.

The 306 class is scratch built and is part of my collection of Smellie/Manson G&SWR goods locos, only one more to build and I will have the set!

The 4F is a long term Hurlford engine and has been built as one of the engines I saw as a young train spotter. The model is based on the JLTRT kit with the addition of a Griffin inside valve gear kit. The engine still needs a bit more weathering as she is far too clean for a Hurlford engine of the 60's.

Ian.

I must start reading more about the G&SWR!

Judging by the stunner on the lhs of this pic, they had very attractive locos indeed! I'd almost die for something that nice.

Cheers,

John E.

PS Sorry for the late response, reminded by the previous comment about a potential rtr item!

John,

If you trawl about the 'Railways of Scotland' and look for posts by 'ian@stenmochs' you will find lots of images of his scratch built O gauge locos. He really is a very fine modeller indeed. Although my involvement with the G&SWR lines was much later, in the fifties when BR were in charge, and all those lovely locomotives were gone! Well worth seeking out John,

Kind regards,

Jock.

Check this picture out.

attachicon.gifBoiler barrol idea.jpg

No the frustration of modeling hasn't pushed me over the edge on to a down wood spiral but after asking Wendy if she could keep her eyes open for some thing that might be suitable to make the jumbo's boiler from she went for a rummage round and came back with an assortment of bits and bobs like make up tubes old cigar cases etc. But one item that jumped out at me and after a quick check was found to be exactly 18mm in diameter was this syringe. My daughter can get them from her work (she works at an animal sanctuary and they use them for giving medicine to the dogs) So she's going to get me some more but as I said its exactly 18mm and thin walled so will be perfect.

Many years ago when the only Midland 4F available was a Wills kit a good friend and skilled modeller who happened to work at a large hospital scratch built one utilising a syringe as the boiler..and a cracking job he made of it too!

Dave.

Many years ago when the only Midland 4F available was a Wills kit a good friend and skilled modeller who happened to work at a large hospital scratch built one utilising a syringe as the boiler..and a cracking job he made of it too!

Dave.

Hi,

I couldn't afford the Wills kit so scratch built a body on a Triang 3f chassis. As I recall I used an off cut of 3/4" water pipe for the boiler, slit along its length to open it up to the correct diameter with a piece of oo gauge rail wedged in. I recall too that the copper was very difficult to solder, it needed so much heat, while the cocoa tin that I built the rest from was a doddle!

Nowadays I use virgin metal and roll the boilers. Sheet metal availability is so much better now and at quite modest cost considering the value of the finished models.

Ian

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Well you know that us Scottish modellers often complain how little stuff is avaiable to us, well I'm afriad there is going to be even less soon.

I've been chatting with DJH about purchasing a HR River, and it appears that they are starting a cull on their less popular 4mm kits, which basically means that when the existing stock (that is sat on the shelf, mainly in 1's and 2's it would appear) has gone, then no more will be made.

I have just re-mortgaged my kidneys and liver and purchased the bare-minimum of my wish-list (and as much as the mortgage would allow) and have exhausted the supply of HR Castles (there was only one left).

Now as I was only interested in that and the River I didn't ask about any of the other Scottish kits they do, so I have no-idea what is going to disappear, my only advice is to buy what you want now..... 

Andy G

• Like 1

Will it take solvent and or paint?  The plastic is somewhat slippery in my experience?

It seemed to take super glue well though I had roughed up the surface with course wet and dry first to give the glue something to key too but it worked OK the tube its self acting as a guide for a wrap of 5 thou plasticard. Here's the loco so far just waiting for some hand rail knobs and wire to come (must chase them up) I know some of you have seen my thread on the build but just in case some of you haven't.

post-17847-0-37528500-1447297040.jpg

post-17847-0-89167200-1447297102_thumb.jpg

When painted it will become No.413 a blue air pump fitted jumbo built under Lambie in 1895 which is the jumbo that received the Caley singles one off tender when that loco received a bigger tender in the general upgrading of all Caledonian express locos

• Like 5

• 2 months later...

Firstly the 439:

attachicon.gifDSC07173.JPG

attachicon.gifDSC07174.JPG

Now chassis shots:

attachicon.gifDSC06583.JPG

Showing single stage gearbox on front axle

attachicon.gifDSC06584.JPG

My bogie pick-ups and shorting bushes:

attachicon.gifDSC06585.JPG

Note the wire from the bogie. This is secured usually to the body.

attachicon.gifDSC06586.JPG

Showing the chassis mounted in the body

attachicon.gifDSC06602.JPG

Now the SEF 0-6-0T:

The chassis butchering:

attachicon.gifDSC07167.JPG

attachicon.gifDSC07168.JPG

attachicon.gifDSC07169.JPG

attachicon.gifDSC07051.JPG

The underside of the gearbox:

attachicon.gifDSC07043.JPG

The chassis with motor and gearbox:

attachicon.gifDSC07181.JPG

The coupling rods:

attachicon.gifDSC07045.JPG

Assembled:

attachicon.gifDSC07179.JPG

attachicon.gifDSC07180.JPG

As you can see the worm is only just visable with this arrangement.

As you can see both need finishing off, but most of the work is done.

Now who can see and guess what the other body shown in the photos is and will be?

Andy G

Hi Andy, From what or where is the 0-6-0 backplate with all that detail on? My mostly assembled kit was bought without any cab detail as the xo4 motor filled it, Graham

• RMweb Premium

Graham,

The plastic back head is from the GBL T9. Another soruce would be damaged Hornby bodies from ebay.

Dave at SE Finecast does a M7 cab detailing kit, which includes a cast backhead, and he will sell it seperatly if you ask him. I can't remember what size the boiler of the M7 is, so it may be a little large, but I doubt you'll see much of it anyway!

Andy G

I also used a GBL T9 back head on my 782 class build as I also did on the big 492 tank but as Andy says once built with the crew in the cab its very hard to see much, I'll have a look but I might still have a spare one

My 782 still in primer waiting for the better weather in the spring before getting its top coat, I took a different approach with mine and scratch built the body on a Bachmann chassis rather than use the SF Finecast kit for no other reason than cost as I had the chassis and lots of plasticard in stock so it seemed worth having a go

post-17847-0-42460900-1452995969.jpg

Built in the same way and also using a GBL T9 back head here's the 492 0-8-0 tank

post-17847-0-86646800-1452996569_thumb.jpg

Let me know if you want me to look for the spare back head.

Steve

Edited by Londontram
  • Like 3

• 1 month later...

This morning at model rail before the show opened i to my j88 over to alloa to compare with 60159's kit built example and as usual i spent a good while looking at the superb layout. I was chatting away and was lucky enough to see my j88 run up and down the yard and took a few shots. I know the loco has appeared before but it was nice to see it run in a more built up environment when compared to its usual haunts on glendevon.

post-10572-0-38529500-1456696879_thumb.jpeg

post-10572-0-37297100-1456696928_thumb.jpeg

• Like 8

An NB models J88 od 68352 built to a reasonable standard has just gone for £454.44p on Ebay.

Scratchbuilt chassis with a Porterscap;

Astounding.

I must build mine.

The link is:- http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/131730321380?ssPageName=STRK:MESINDXX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1436.l2649

I know i was watching it and it weant for crazy money. The total for my j88 was less than £60 with an electrotren chassis at £45 with the j72 body at 50p and chimney and dome from a spares box and the same for handrails etc, then two smp sleepers and brass wire to make up the footboards. Angled brass strip for the cab roof coming in at £5. That's about it. Save for a new motor via a certain internet auction site. Altogether pretty inexpensive by comparison - and nae burned fingers either!

Gary

• Like 1