Bachmann Class 205 Thumper Decorated Samples

Andy Y

• RMweb Premium

The "Long Thin Drag" was indeed 14 coaches. Two 6L sets and the motor coaches from 6S 1001 paired back to back. The extra power-to-weight and fuel capacity was considered prudent for the route being taken. Toilet stops were included for those passengers in the 6S motor coaches who otherwise had no access to such facilities. A day to remember for all involved in any way. But it didn't get a "Hampshire" unit up north and it didn't get any SR unit across the border into Scotland - not for want of trying though but time and track occupation precluded it.

• 2 weeks later...

They do look superb. Is it just me or did the Connex livery always appear a little insipid. Notwithstanding that, the models look to be spot on for livery application, although the grilles could do with a bit of black in them (maybe still to be appled to these preproduction items?).

I changed my order recently to the 'orange vee' version as Kernow have updated and changed what is being offered with sound. I am very tempted by the Connex unit as well but I think I should wait for the NSE one .. that's 'should' ...

Mutter, mutter, mutter ... B@$#@* temptations being put in my way ... ;)

• RMweb Premium

The ends of the Connex livery yellow bands were applied with vinyls to get that fade out effect, trouble was the vinyls faded badly as a result most Connex liveried units had a distinctinctively different shade of yellow at the ends than the rest of the livery!!

Connex's legendary cheap and nasty livery and their lack of cosmetic maintenance didn't help either...

• RMweb Premium

The images do sugggest a good representation of the Connex livery and it is no fault of KMRC that I have no intention of ever representing that sorry era on any layout of mine. But each to their own. The grilles will probably look even better with a brush-over of a dark weathering powder. As John says the livery faded and often looked shabby in service; the lower panels also showed brake dust staining which was quite severe in some cases and which can also be represented by careful application of powders.

Connex's legendary cheap and nasty livery

Lets face it, it wasn't just the livery! I thought I'd done away with Connex when we moved to Germany, only to find them running the local branchline.

Back on topic, the 205 is a seriously tempting affair, and a lot more justifiable than a 2epb.

Guest Belgian

I understand these units were tested for riding quality, on the ECML during the late 1960's, as part of a wider study looking at derailments. Anyways, I took a photo of one arriving at Leeds, on a railtour and here it is http://www.flickr.co...N02/5430824684/ This looks a beautiful model by the way ! so, well done to Kernow / Bachmann, etc.

I think it was part of an investigation following the Hither Green derailment and used the slim Hastings line units (I may be totally wrong with all of that) but the conclusion reached was that it was the SR's track that was the problem.............

Interesting that that was what they did after the Sevenoaks accident in 1927 (tested the locomotive on the ECML) and they reached the same conclusion, except the 'Rivers' got rebuilt whilst the Hastings units rolled on. Is Southern track any better today?!!! :O

JE

Interesting that that was what they did after the Sevenoaks accident in 1927 (tested the locomotive on the ECML) and they reached the same conclusion, except the 'Rivers' got rebuilt whilst the Hastings units rolled on. Is Southern track any better today?!!! :O

JE

Nah - I've left NR................. :mosking:

• RMweb Premium

3-car blue ones ran on all BR regions except Scottish. Does that help? ;)

The current version of Kernow's "Thumper" page implies 3-car versions are coming later as opposed to the original text which referred only to them being a possibility dependant upon sales. After a 4-year wait we are almost at the point of getting the first batch of 2-car units, Kernow is therefore about to start seeing a return on their investment and we might find some 3-car versions announced after all. I suspect at least the BR blue would sell well; personally I'd jump at an early blue syp one but if that were not to be announced then overall blue will be an acceptable second choice.

Hee hee ... come over to the dark side, David! :devil:

Yeah, I've long since realised this whole forum is the dark side. Serious temptation and seduction everywhere. To give an example, I thought I'd done away with N-gauge, then someone mentions something called FiNeTrax and I'm suddenly presented with a track system I didn't even dare dream of, and it sets me wondering again. Charmouth, 0-16.5 at its very best...eye-watering eye candy in a multitude of scales and gauges...I'm a broken man...

3-car blue ones ran on all BR regions except Scottish. Does that help? ;)

The current version of Kernow's "Thumper" page implies 3-car versions are coming later as opposed to the original text which referred only to them being a possibility dependant upon sales. After a 4-year wait we are almost at the point of getting the first batch of 2-car units, Kernow is therefore about to start seeing a return on their investment and we might find some 3-car versions announced after all. I suspect at least the BR blue would sell well; personally I'd jump at an early blue syp one but if that were not to be announced then overall blue will be an acceptable second choice.

Oh God, I knew it... "Dear Kernow, Please reserve me a 3-car unit in rail blue with full custard faces. Yours sincerely, A. Bankrupt." I simply have to have one of these. Read my post on page four of the "Why do you model BR blue?" thread to see why. I really have absolutely no use for one but the memories that go with them...well, I'm sure you understand. You know, I have to say this: we are well served by the industry just now.

That nostalgia thing will get us all sooner or later! Even though I model predominantly LT and Southern subjects, memories of riding, seeing and/or hearing other 'foreign' locos and units mean that also have many other things like HSTs, Sprinters and DMMUs from several different time periods. It gets messy!

I have to have a green DEMU - I have built kits already but the Kernow/Bachmann effort well and truly eclipses mine and the lure of sound adds to that. I do have happy memories of trips between Three Bridges and East Grinstead, as well as sights and sounds as the trains passed underneath on my way to or from school.

I understand what you're saying. These inoffensive units plugged up and down the Basingstoke-Reading line for years without fuss or bother. They did their job well and with a certain charm that is all too lacking in the Turbos, I find. I really will have one. I can't justify it but there is no choice.

hi guys . love the connex version i hear brittania models are making them also do you think it would work if i put a non powered three car brittania models 207 with a kernow models connex 2 car to make a 5 car . would this formation work and did it ever work on reality . as running a 2 car doesnt seem much fun , curious about peoples thoughts on this matter cheers

As far as the motor bogie goes, there should be ample power and traction to cope with five cars (motored coach plus four non-powered).

In the later days of running on the Oxted lines there were certainly mixed combinations of 205s and 207s (2H/3H + 2D/3D) as the operators had to 'make do and mend' with whatever units were operational.

• RMweb Premium

Assuming something similar to the CEP motor is used in the Thumper I will vouch for that having more than adequate grunt to move five vehicles at a satisfactory speed on the layout. Having seen the test shot in operation on the Kernow shop layout it seemed to be barely on tickover whizzing around with just its two cars to cope with.

The real thing was not permitted in traffic with more than two unpowered coaches per motor coach. As Jeff says Selhurst had to reshuffle the remaining coaches almost daily to ensure a sufficient number was available for traffic but with steep hills south from Croydon and most of the way to Uckfield and pathing between electrics to consider north of Croydon under-powered trains could not be allowed. What had been 9-car peak-hour trains were cut to 6 and 6-car duties cut to 5 but always with at least two motor coaches.

Ironically Southern still finds itself short of diesel units to this day. The 171s are reliable but the minimal number ordered might have been based on an assumption that they would be a stop-gap until electrification or that traffic levels would not bounce back as they have done. Overcrowding is still a problem on short-formed trains to Uckfield with the peak services no more than 6 cars (171/2 plus 171/8) as there are just not enough units to go around. Southern tried to release two 2-cars from the "marsh line" to boost Uckfield line capacity by replacing the Ashford - Brighton service with 3-car electric units west of Eastbourne but a passenger outcry saw that idea caped. Ironically those same trains - which are formed of a 2-car 171/2 - are among the most complained-of for overcrowding which mostly arises between Eastbourne and Brighton! It seems you are damned if you do and damned if you don't.

• RMweb Premium

Even then it has been necessary to sometimes substitute a 377 for the Eastbourne to Brighton and return leg sometimes when something has arisen. I think we are very lucky that we have the services of the guys at St Leonards Depot to call upon and generally there seems to be little they can't fix. Usually by the time the return trip reaches Eastbourne, the 171 is fixed and back waiting to resume its duty.

By the way, what route do the 171's take to get from the Marshes to Selhurst Depot? I have never seen one travel the gap inbetween but they must do somehow, however being a West Coastway man I don't know anyone who knows the answer!!

• RMweb Premium

There is a booked move each night 5F52 at 2330 from Eastbourne to Selhurst Depot to swop over ( if required ) or refuel a 171.

The return working is 5F53 at 0415 from Selhurst back to Eastbourne.

• RMweb Premium

Assuming something similar to the CEP motor is used in the Thumper I will vouch for that having more than adequate grunt to move five vehicles at a satisfactory speed on the layout. Having seen the test shot in operation on the Kernow shop layout it seemed to be barely on tickover whizzing around with just its two cars to cope with.

The real thing was not permitted in traffic with more than two unpowered coaches per motor coach. As Jeff says Selhurst had to reshuffle the remaining coaches almost daily to ensure a sufficient number was available for traffic but with steep hills south from Croydon and most of the way to Uckfield and pathing between electrics to consider north of Croydon under-powered trains could not be allowed. What had been 9-car peak-hour trains were cut to 6 and 6-car duties cut to 5 but always with at least two motor coaches.

Ironically Southern still finds itself short of diesel units to this day. The 171s are reliable but the minimal number ordered might have been based on an assumption that they would be a stop-gap until electrification or that traffic levels would not bounce back as they have done. Overcrowding is still a problem on short-formed trains to Uckfield with the peak services no more than 6 cars (171/2 plus 171/8) as there are just not enough units to go around. Southern tried to release two 2-cars from the "marsh line" to boost Uckfield line capacity by replacing the Ashford - Brighton service with 3-car electric units west of Eastbourne but a passenger outcry saw that idea caped. Ironically those same trains - which are formed of a 2-car 171/2 - are among the most complained-of for overcrowding which mostly arises between Eastbourne and Brighton! It seems you are damned if you do and damned if you don't.

There is an 8 car circuit during both peaks which we try to not short form but if there is a 4 car out of traffic the shuffle means that this usually ends up as a 6 car and the 6 car circuit reduced to 4.

In hindsight an order of 3 car units instead of the 4's and 2's would have been better.

The Rye to Ashford shuttles are now well loaded due to the number of passengers travelling via HS1 to London rather than via Hastings....so not much chance of them being withdrawn.

There is an 8 car circuit during both peaks which we try to not short form but if there is a 4 car out of traffic the shuffle means that this usually ends up as a 6 car and the 6 car circuit reduced to 4.

In hindsight an order of 3 car units instead of the 4's and 2's would have been better.

It would not be that difficult to reform (some of) them into three-car units by removing one centre coach from a four-car and inserting it into a two-car unit. The old Southern Railway and Southern Region were not averse to reforming units to suit the ongoing traffic needs, so history would simply be repeating here! :D

Archived