Bachmann Class 205 Thumper Decorated Samples

Andy Y

Thanks for that, the Replica coach looks a no go as apart from the ride height and roof issues there is only a very slim section of underframe visible beneath the bodysides in comparison to the 2H. Will have a go with a DC Kits one instead.

• 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Reading Kernow's own comments over the waiting time since the first batch it seems they have had to negotiate both price and production slots and that what we are about to receive will be the balance (or at least some of the balance) of outstanding previous announcements in 2-car form.  

Friday will confirm when the newsletter arrives but I'm not expecting anything not already in the pipeline.

On the Facebook page they have commented that they can't do a blue/grey unit as there are no 2 car examples. I've suggested that they could do a 3 car 204 using an EPB DTSO in the middle.  Whilst it seems an easy enough option to me, I wonder how easily one could persuade Bachmann to produce an EPB DTSO on its own. 

On the Facebook page they have commented that they can't do a blue/grey unit as there are no 2 car examples. I've suggested that they could do a 3 car 204 using an EPB DTSO in the middle.  Whilst it seems an easy enough option to me, I wonder how easily one could persuade Bachmann to produce an EPB DTSO on its own. 

I like that idea, but they would have to modify the wiring and coupling at the ex-driving end to allow through-control of lights from the decoder on DCC. Not insurmountable but still probably an extra cost as existing tooling doesn't quite cover that.

• RMweb Gold

British Railway Pictorial 'Southern Region DEMUs' by Kevin Robinson and Hugh Abbinnett

Page 68  Two 2 car 'Hampshires' at Waterloo on a '62' in Blue and Grey.

I know. It's an obscure title in which to find information on 'Thumpers' can't think why I looked :jester:

I think from memory that is actually something like 204 001 which was a temporary set and was worked as a four car, with the same set number at the outer driving ends.  If it is something other than this I am sure Kernow would love to hear about it! 

We are pleased to announce that production capacity for our remaining Class 205 models has been made available.

The Class 205s should be available during the 3rd Quarter of 2015.  We have been negotiating with Bachmann about these remaining models as they have been hit hard with the new prices.  We fully understand why Bachmann has had to increase their prices and we have negotiated to have these prices held for next year, so they will not be subject to a further increase.  It is unfortunate that the Thumper has so many individual parts as although that makes it a superb model it has also added to the cost of assembly.

The reasons for Bachmann's price increases have been well documented and the price of a 2 car Class 205 will be £210.  Anyone placing a pre-order for these models will save just over £10 although we reserve the right to remove the pre-order price as soon as the models have been manufactured.  We will also be offering a sound option for an additional £100.  The sound decoder and speakers will be fitted in our own workshop.   We have previously honoured pre-order prices when we can, but as these models have increased from the originally-announced £149.99 in 2009 we cannot keep to this in this case.  Customers who already have a pre-order for these models will be contacted directly about the options available to them, as some of the running numbers and livery details have also changed slightly.   This may take a while as we have a lot of customers to contact individually and we will update our progress with this through our weekly newsletter.

The next batch of models are shown below: -

prod_25952.jpg 31-239Z Bachmann Class 205 2-H Thumper Unit 205 001 debranded Network SouthEast

prod_25952.jpg 31-239ZDS Bachmann Class 205 2-H Thumper Unit 205 001 debranded Network SouthEast DCC Sound Fitted

prod_27288.jpg 31-236X Bachmann Class 205 2-H Thumper Unit 1121 BR Green small yellow panel

prod_27288.jpg 31-236XDS Bachmann Class 205 2-H Thumper Unit 1121 BR Green small yellow panel DCC Sound Fitted

prod_27289.jpg 31-238Z Bachmann Class 205 2-H Thumper Unit 1122 BR Blue

prod_30034.jpg 31-238ZDS Bachmann Class 205 2-H Thumper Unit 1122 BR Blue DCC Sound Fitted

We had originally intended to offer two running numbers of the BR Green version.  With the new pricing we don't believe there will be sufficient demand for two near-identical models so we have cancelled the second running number (previous reference K2006) and transferred orders to 31-236X.  Again customers will be contacted about this in due course.

The specification for the units is unchanged, with directional lighting with white blinds showing at the front and red at the rear.  There are switches below the unit that will allow you to switch off these lights if you wish for when running units in multiple; the switch will allow each car to be switched independently.  A headlight will be fitted to the NSE version.  The units also have interior lights and are through-wired so that only one 21-pin decoder will be required.  The tooling allows for the fitting of two-tone horns or whistle, depending on the era of the unit in question.  The engine room radiator louvres or mesh varies according to era to match the prototype as does the fitment of roof periscopes and position of the exhaust port.  There are two different bogies, the original Mk3 bogies or the Mk4 with shock absorbers in accordance with the prototype.

The interior allows the seating layout of the compartments to be varied with removable seats to allow the creation of a luggage compartment if required to match the prototype.

To clarify some common questions, we cannot produce a Blue and Grey model as we cannot find any evidence that any Phase 1 or Phase 2 unit ran in this livery as a 2 car.  The Class 204 using an EPB  driving trailer as a centre car has been looked into but the costs of providing through-wiring with electrical couplings have been too high.  A newly-tooled centre car would probably add too much to the cost and we will need to see how well these models sell before deciding if it is worth the extra cost to produce this.

Pre-orders at the discounted price can be made immediately and no deposit is required as we will only charge for these models when we are ready to send them.

• RMweb Premium

Bachmann's pricing regime has been discussed thoroughly here and elsewhere.  £210 for a 2-car unit - note this is a commission and therefore the costs are spread over a smaller number of pieces than a catalogue item - sets a new benchmark but is not unexpected.  You can order (if you haven't already) at just under £200 until they're in the shop.

Also noted is the comment regarding centre trailers.  The door to produce them was never definitely open and is still neither open nor closed.  That position hasn't changed.  

I understand why 2-car units were commissioned in terms of risk and costs (also perhaps finding a trailer available to scan) but I'm still firmly in the three-car camp.  One day.  Please.

at last the liveries everyone wants ;-)

agree on Gwiwer's sentiments on the pricing, on what is otherwise an excellent model.

I see the sound fitting will be done by Kernow (lessions learnt ?) - I returned my green thumper due to poor sound quality

I had originally ordered an all blue model in 2008, then switched to the Bachmann sound fitted one. However with the price now just short of £300, I found it a bit much and decided to switch to a non sound connex version instead which is available now and around half the price.

No hard feelings only I could have had the Connex one pre-ordered and therefore slightly cheaper than what I just paid for it, and I could have had it earlier too. I hope the other Kernow limiteds pick up pace because 6 years is long time to wait only to find in the end that you have a choice of pay 50% more or cancel.

Originally the model was to start me in DCC sound, but a converted Bachmann 2 EPB has filed that gap now.

I assume the NSE one will be debranded as it gives it a wider date range, this one being photographed in 1999: http://mark5812.smugmug.com/UKpicturesclassorder/DEMUs-scanned/i-s57jQ6P/A

Those who want the branding (like me) can always get some transfers.  In fact, I think I've got some in the pile somewhere!

I'm personally happy to pay the new price for what is an excellent model and understand why they can't honour the pre-order price. 

I'm just deciding whether to go sound-fitted or not.  What's peoples opinions on the Kernow sound-fitted ones?  Is there another decoder people would recommend, such as Legomanbiffo's?

I am tempted with the NSE version but I would like it branded does anyone know if there were any major differences on the debranded livery or did they just remove the Nse logo? I also would add that while the price seems high this is one of the best MUs on the market and as a comparison I was considering adding light to my 2BIL using the Train Tec lighting unit at £25 each coach and £130 for BIl that's £180 not much difference when you look at it.

I am tempted with the NSE version but I would like it branded does anyone know if there were any major differences on the debranded livery or did they just remove the Nse logo?

As far as I can see comparing the photo in entry #143 above to NSE era pictures, the only differences are the NSE branding on the bodysides, NSE flash on the cab front on some and the NSE sector logo on the bodyside (as seen on the leading coach here: http://www.trackbasher-photos.co.uk/1991/i-qCkSXcf).  So all additions that can easily be made with transfers.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Archived