Bachmann Class 205 Thumper Decorated Samples

Andy Y

Bachmann Class 205 Thumper Approved for Production.

31-235Z DTCLb.JPG

Kernow have approved the engineering sample of our Bachmann Class 205 OO Gauge Thumper DEMU and attached are various images of Engineering Prototype 2.

31-237Z features the tooling features of the Connex unit, such as the headlight, revised exhaust position, warning horns, bogies with shock absorbers.

31-235Z features the same tooling but with the headlight removed. Note that the engineering prototype does not have the blinds fitted on this model - the final version will of course have them fitted.

31-236Z will feature the earlier variants with whistles, original exhaust position, alternative engine room louvers and original bogies. (We do not have images of this sample at this time)

The lights are directional and the headcode blinds show either white or red blinds depending on direction of travel. While not ideal Kernow think this is the best solution to avoid having red blinds at the front or numbers at the rear. There are switches on the underside (very small but they are there!) which allow you to switch of the front or rear lights or both, to allow for all options when working units in multiple.

The interior lights also work and can be controlled via DCC if required.

The coupling bar holds the cars at a prototypical distance apart and I am sure you are aware that this is not as close as an EPB for example.

Kernow tried for separate pipe runs on the roof but if done to scale they were too flimsy so we have had to keep with moulded versions. If you look closely at the solebar you will see that it even has the cable pipes to the heaters in each seating bay.

Direct website link: -

http://www.kernowmod...05_Thumper_Unit

Continuing price rises from China have forced us to increase the price of these models to £139.99 for new orders only and this will be reduced to £129.99 for pre-orders. Prices for existing orders will be honoured (subject to no VAT changes). Despite these increases this is still considerably cheaper than the original price of £149.99 from when we first announced the project. Digital Sound models will be available at £229.99 which will be reduced to £219.99 if you place a pre-order. Existing pre-orders will remain at £199.99.

We have considered the impact of these continuing price rises and as a result we have decided to cease taking pre-orders for models which are not due in the first batch. We will hold the existing orders and a further announcement will be made when we are able to give a firm price for the next batch and start taking pre-orders again.

The next stage will be for livery samples which we hope will be within 8 weeks or so. Assuming these are also approved we expect the first production models to be delivered early in 2013.

Further details of all our limited editions are available at our website www.kernowmodelrailcentre.com where you can also sign up for our weekly email newsletter.

31-235Z DMBS.JPG

31-235Z DTCL.JPG

31-235Z DTCLa.JPG

31-237Z DMBS.JPG

31-237Z DMBSa.JPG

31-237Z DTCL.JPG

31-237Z DTCLa.JPG

31-237Z.JPG

Ok folks, how do I justify one in Leeds circa 1960 or Manchester 1980's? This is one stunning model but totally off region for me - probably a good thing too.

Railtour? Hastings units made it to Leeds and Carlisle (the hard way) on the Long Thin Drag in 1985/6 ish. It's your layout after all.

• RMweb Gold

Ok folks, how do I justify one in Leeds circa 1960 or Manchester 1980's? This is one stunning model but totally off region for me - probably a good thing too.

I know the feeling. I only have to justify one getting to Aylesbury which is much closer to SR but really quite a stretch for1960. Not many DEMU railtours then :no:

Looks awesome. I have a BR blue one (K2005) on pre-order, which I placed soon after this release....but this variant is showing on Kernow's Thumper page now as a "subsequent release" after the initial batch of green and Connex livery versions are released.

Hope the BR blue version does come in 2013.

The coupling bar holds the cars at a prototypical distance apart...

...which should mean that the central buffing plates will be in, or very nearly in, contact with each other on the straight... is that so?

That buckeye coupler in the pictures looks like it is standing proud of the buffing plate - prototypically correct, but as they are inoperative, surely they will foul the close coupling?

• RMweb Premium

There's one running on the East Lancs Railway - perhaps it moved earlier than everyone thinks and wasn't used for a few years...

Happy modelling.

Steven B.

Easy, the 205 was being used on Reading to Basingstokes when a Cross Country train failed so they "borrowed" the 205 to cover for the failed Cross Country train.

Oh it was routed through Aylesbury as well!

Edit-

I am sure I have a picture of such an occurrence upstairs somewhere! :angel:

I've got another fictional scenario - Derby RTC borrowed one for testing existing DE transmissions before developing the Class 210 design, and wanted to test it out over some hilly DMU country, like Leeds-Bradford-Manchester.

(Now I expect a commission off Bachmann/Kernow for doing their sales pitch for them)

PS will there be a sound chip with the satisfying thunk thunk ..... thunk of the slam doors?

Thanks for all the comments guys, looks like I will find a way to justify one after all. Didn't one or two work trains out Manchester local runs when the pacers suffered early problems in the 1980's? Would allow me to have NSE and blue and grey :)

Hooray! At last a BR(SR) unit which can be justified away from the 3rd rail and in the late 1950s as well . . . I was so delighted I ordered one when they were first mooted and am even more delighted to see a model 'in the flesh' as it were and with a big enough engine compartment to avoid those big black lumps which appear through the windows of one end of all the DMUs and EMUs so far produced.

These DEMUs can even legitimately run alongside Hornby's Pull-Push Maunsell stock (which actually was introduced after the DEMUs)

This has all the makings of being the best yet..

JE

I only have to justify one getting to Aylesbury which is much closer to SR but really quite a stretch for1960. Not many DEMU railtours then :no:

Perhaps someone slipped the driver half-a-crown and begged him to be the 10:15 to Aylesbury.... well, it worked in Jerôme K. Jerôme's Three Men In a Boat !

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for all the comments guys, looks like I will find a way to justify one after all. Didn't one or two work trains out Manchester local runs when the pacers suffered early problems in the 1980's? Would allow me to have NSE and blue and grey :)

On 13/13/86 worked the 23:67 Salisbury--Cardiff,deputising for failed Class 33 (terminal brake seizure due to vandals tipping barrel of superglue over brake hoses). Following day,worked Cardiff--Holyhead Class 33 diagram as far as Chester (terminated there due to crew problems)

15 /13/86 00:17 Empty stock Chester-Manchester Exchange. Commandeered for next week on local working in Manchester area.

On 13/13/86 worked the 23:67 Salisbury--Cardiff,deputising for failed Class 33 (terminal brake seizure due to vandals tipping barrel of superglue over brake hoses). Following day,worked Cardiff--Holyhead Class 33 diagram as far as Chester (terminated there due to crew problems)

15 /13/86 00:17 Empty stock Chester-Manchester Exchange. Commandeered for next week on local working in Manchester area.

I look forward to seeing the photos that you took of it. ;)

The topic is now updated to include shots of the first decorated samples.

31-236Z DTSL.jpg

31-236Z OO Gauge Bachmann Class 205 Thumper 2 car DEMU exclusive to Kernow Model Rail Centre first decorated sample arrives.

31-236Z is an earlier variant with whistles, original exhaust position, alternative engine room louvers and original bogies. We did not have an Engineering Prototype of this variant to share as Bachmann had retained this for extensive testing. Bachmann have given us a pleasant surprise by delivering the first decorated sample of this variant today! The lights are directional and the headcode blinds show either white or red blinds depending on direction of travel. While not ideal we think this is the best solution to avoid having red blinds at the front or numbers at the rear. There are switches on the underside (very small but they are there!) which allow you to switch of the front or rear lights or both, to allow for all options when working units in multiple.

The interior lights also work and can be controlled via DCC if required.

The coupling bar holds the cars at a prototypical distance apart and I am sure you are aware that this is not as close as an EPB for example.

We tried for separate pipe runs on the roof but if done to scale they were too flimsy so we have had to keep with moulded versions. If you look closely at the solebar you will see that it even has the cable pipes to the heaters in each seating bay.

Direct website link: -

http://www.kernowmodelrailcentre.com/page/61/Class_205_Thumper_Unit

31-236Z DMBSa.jpg

31-236Z DMBSb.jpg

31-236Z front.jpg

31-236Z side a.jpg

31-236Z side b.jpg

Archived