Bachmann nrm prototype deltic - spring 2013

Brian Grey

My sound fitted sample arrived today, can't wit get it humming round the clubs test track. Body work is mint so looks like you were unlucky Lochnagar. Pity the Chinese packed a duff loco rather than having the secure job that would allow them to own up. No doubt a severe flogging would result if they did admit the damage

No, I have no intention of stockpiling deltics...

I just hate the emotive language used whenever this happens. It's hardly a tar and feather them offence.

Simply with batch production this will never stop...see the rail exclusive 37s ....if people can't afford them at the time, someone may make a few quid later....supply and demand...

Good my sound version last Wednesday. Sounds more realistic to some other deltics I've heard. However strangely it operates in the wrong direction. On lenz controller when selecting ^ the loco goes backwards. So I had to change cv29 to correct this.

• RMweb Gold

Just test run my Deltic, It ran for about two yards then juddered and made clicking noises. It now just hums and will not move. Not happy!!!

. You are the second to report a problem with this . Lochnagar had to return his due to qc issues. Return to Shildon.Don't attempt a self- fix.

Just test run my Deltic, It ran for about two yards then juddered and made clicking noises. It now just hums and will not move. Not happy!!!

Please return it to us. We will refund your postage and send a replacement. Please remember to include your details and if possible a note of the problem so that we can take it up with Bachmann.

The Locomotion Sales Team.

. You are the second to report a problem with this . Lochnagar had to return his due to qc issues. Return to Shildon.Don't attempt a self- fix.

This is a Bachmann/NRM loco we commission. All of these arrive with us with a QC check mark on the outers, but they have just travelled 8000 miles! Lochnagar's problem was with a different issue, and was quickly resolved.

The Locomotion Sales Team

• RMweb Gold

This is a Bachmann/NRM loco we commission. All of these arrive with us with a QC check mark on the outers, but they have just travelled 8000 miles! Lochnagar's problem was with a different issue, and was quickly resolved.

Sorrry,this was not intended to promote a crisis of confidence in NRM Shildon,to whom I attach no cricticism implied or otherwise.The reason I posted was to encourage the gent concerned not to attempt a d-i-y repair. You must,however,surely be aware of the wider issues of QC with all r-t-r manufacturers at  present,thus this is not an unusual event,is it? To set the record straight,I  am a very happy purchaser of your Prince William and the 'as in service' Deltic...which I actually saw at King's Cross in Sept. 1959....the prototype, I mean. if I caused offence,then sincere apologies....Ian.

Sorrry,this was not intended to promote a crisis of confidence in NRM Shildon,to whom I attach no cricticism implied or otherwise.The reason I posted was to encourage the gent concerned not to attempt a d-i-y repair. You must,however,surely be aware of the wider issues of QC with all r-t-r manufacturers at  present,thus this is not an unusual event,is it? To set the record straight,I  am a very happy purchaser of your Prince William and the 'as in service' Deltic...which I actually saw at King's Cross in Sept. 1959....the prototype, I mean. if I caused offence,then sincere apologies....Ian.

Thankyou, no offence taken. We are aware that as a mass produced item there will be occasions when things go wrong. We do unpack every outer box and inner carton, and do an external visual check of the condition of the individual boxes. If any of these show damage then we will physically check the contents.

• 2 weeks later...

Replacement recieved, runs perfect.Locomotion sales team very helpfull and apologetic, could not ask for better service.

• RMweb Premium

Having sold out fairly quickly of the weathered version, we have had Bachmann do some more for us as a special. These are at £149.00 each plus postage, and should be going on the website later on today.

Please form an orderly queue....

How do you get a production slot for these at such short notice when main catalogue items are being delayed, I wonder...

My DCC fitted version arrived, looks fantastic, I haven't tested it due to no permanent layout at this time but will do in due course. As I have only the ability to set up a little test track with the space for Radius 3 curves, I was wondering what the chances are of this model causing problems (specifically the wheels fouling the bodywork) on set-track curves as mentioned in this thread about other Deltic models doing this. I don't want to wreck a beautiful model!

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/70046-Bachmann-class-55-deltics/

My DCC fitted version arrived, looks fantastic, I haven't tested it due to no permanent layout at this time but will do in due course. As I have only the ability to set up a little test track with the space for Radius 3 curves, I was wondering what the chances are of this model causing problems (specifically the wheels fouling the bodywork) on set-track curves as mentioned in this thread about other Deltic models doing this. I don't want to wreck a beautiful model!

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/70046-Bachmann-class-55-deltics/

Second radius should be fine, we don't reccommend first radius at all. Enjoy your Deltic, and thanks.

Second radius should be fine, we don't reccommend first radius at all. Enjoy your Deltic, and thanks.

Bachmann also recommends second radius curves for their locos as a minimum, I never run first radius. But even on third radius, I've had problems with the wheels on Bachmann Deltics fouling the bodywork and cutting into it! Comments about this can be found elsewhere on the web as well as on this forum. I've noticed the same problem, although not quite as extant, on my Bachmann Class 37 locos too.

It is not just the radius that has to be considered, but also how flat the curved track is. Any deviations from level on a curve eat into (sorry!) the safety margin Bachmann provide by typically having the body slightly high relative to the bogies . (The model maker is in a bind here with any long vehicle on bogies on which the prototype has wheels inside the fixed bodywork. Which compromise to go for: undersize wheels, raise body relative to bogies, vary body shape to allow for operation on set track; or restrict operation to curves of circa 30" or greater radius.)

My 2nd Gen Prototype Deltic arrive safely in Oz on Tuesday, just over two weeks after it was ordered.  Very pleased doesn't even cover it!

A massive thank-you to Sandra from the Shildon team, who handled my enquiry, and arranged to sort out a VAT refund for me as well, because the loco was posted Down Under.

Now all I have to do is try and sell the first 1st Gen one it replaces...      :scratchhead:

Archived