What to run a Hornby class 60 with?

• RMweb Premium

You can pretty much put the 60 on the front of any of your EWS 66 hauled trains.

I just put 60049 into flickr and it comes up with loads of examples.

This was the first one in the search - HTA's

Stick the number of your 60 into flickr and see what happens!

Cheers,

Mick

Ebay is your freind there for wagons that are no longer around. Slowly youd build up the rake that your wanting.

Bachmanns 90T bogie wagons would be spot on, RMC, Tilcon etc. Oil trains are another one that the class 60 is perfect for, as with steel. Careful as if your modelling flows the heavyweight nature of the 60 means smaller rakes are needed for a 66 to be used to. All depends where you are, and how accurate you want to be in the space youve got.

You can pretty much put the 60 on the front of any of your EWS 66 hauled trains.

I just put 60049 into flickr and it comes up with loads of examples.

This was the first one in the search - HTA's

Stick the number of your 60 into flickr and see what happens!

Cheers,

Mick

Thanks Mick very helpfully as usual.

I've decided on getting either Bachmann coal hoppers or Dapol mini box wagons but likely to be mini box wagons

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Mick very helpfully as usual.

I've decided on getting either Bachmann coal hoppers or Dapol mini box wagons but likely to be mini box wagons

The mini boxes need a bit of work. Go for the HTA's or MBA's from Bachmann. However,if you use either of these, make sure the end wagon has buffers as 60's aren't fitted with buckeye couplers like 66's.

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Gold

Oh right, I just want an easy model that needs no moddleing work doing to it. The Bachmann one has the buckeye and therefore isn't easily compatible, or so I'm told!

Correct.

You could use MEAs or MBAs or HEAs

• 3 weeks later...

you could put your skip onto a departemental like the 60, theyve sometiems worked them

NL

I have seen that have seen 60s and 67 on departmentsl, although I'm looking at the teenage tug 60074.

I think 60s are better than 67s and 57/3s in real life, and 100% English built as well ... IMHO as an enthusiast, as a modeller id say Hornbys 60 is the best model out of the 3 as it is more or less spot on

NL

The 57/3 and the 67 are near spot on, the only fault on the 57/3 is the coupling as NR have modified them

• RMweb Premium

The 57/3 and the 67 are near spot on, the only fault on the 57/3 is the coupling as NR have modified them

But is the NR modification obvious?

Before:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rob50037/4596794528/

After: http://www.flickr.com/photos/73080173@N03/7946395086/

Cheers,

Mick

But is the NR modification obvious?

Before:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rob50037/4596794528/

After: http://www.flickr.com/photos/73080173@N03/7946395086/

Cheers,

Mick

The mods on 57301/303 are as they have had knuckle couplings but there isn't much difference between the mods to the dellner, all that's been done is the large pipes are on the buffer beam now and the dellner is at a slightly lower hight

I think 'better' is a subjective thing, but the Hornby 60 is still held up as the best RTR diesel in many corners. Also probably the last heavy haul loco made in the UK...

Yes it's a huge shame how DBS is needlessly getting rid of 60s, then they put them up for sale and ignore the c60pg's bid for one!!

I think 'better' is a subjective thing, but the Hornby 60 is still held up as the best RTR diesel in many corners. Also probably the last heavy haul loco made in the UK...

Agreed Rob, the Hornby class 60 as a model needs minimal corrections and is one of the best 4mm representations of a locomotive .. the 57 is a good model in its own right, but there are compremises on the bogies as well as missing pipework as well and a few other areas ... The Hornby 67 is a good model but is let down also by a a few silly errors

NL

Agreed Rob, the Hornby class 60 as a model needs minimal corrections and is one of the best 4mm representations of a locomotive .. the 57 is a good model in its own right, but there are compremises on the bogies as well as missing pipework as well and a few other areas ... The Hornby 67 is a good model but is let down also by a a few silly errors

NL

I agree yes. At the moment, (as I am a bit of a GM fan, words that shall not be uttered in a forum for a Brush class 60) I'm went for them first. And as the 57/3 is my favourite class so my hands were tied so I'm going for the bodysnatcher and the skip, sorry! I still like the 60 don't get me wrong but I have another couple of models just above it in priority.

Archived