The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Bandits at 9 O'clock

beast66606

• RMweb Premium

Earlier this year I had to deliver some aicraft parts to Coningsby. After I had tipped I parked on a road that ends next to the runway to eat my snap. Whilst sat there the Lancaster happened to take off so I snapped it with my phone cam.

The sound just makes the hairs on the back of your neck stand up , magnificent .

• RMweb Premium

What a beautiful photograph.

Thanks Mike. Little Gransden was a great little show. A few too many aerobatic displays for my liking, but to be able to go to a show 8 miles from home and see the Lancaster, Vulcan and B-17 all flying was something not to be missed. Only £15 entry with all proceeds donated to Children in Need.

... and the lower photo a F6 Hellcat, the younger but bigger brother of the Wildcat.

It actually looks like a Harvard/Texan trainer - you can see the end of the long canopy showing behind the wings. A very noisy aircraft (especially when a formation of six flies over at about 1500').

Adrian

• RMweb Premium

It actually looks like a Harvard/Texan trainer - you can see the end of the long canopy showing behind the wings. A very noisy aircraft (especially when a formation of six flies over at about 1500').

Adrian

I walked into that one it was th US Navy blue that distracted me...I was thinking it might be a Harvard, loads seem to still flying in all sorts of colours.

• RMweb Premium

Shame the Dak couldn't do a Down Ampney - Arnhem trip - its really good to see them flying this great plane - did the job for my late Father - he did 2 or three trips to Arnhem and the Daks (48 Sqdn) took an absolute battering - particularly on the last trip. But its a big steady beast and may it fly on for a long time!

Last time II saw the Lanc it was in close proximity to the Dak as they landed at Leeds Bradford on the way to somewhere else.

I can remember in 1985 being on a hike with my then GF and her lodger around Marple, Disley & Lyme Park, the same day as that year's Woodford Air Show. The Lancaster came home and, together with the rest of the BBMF did aerobatics (a Lanc. doing mild aerobatics!) over our heads for about half an hour. Magic!

• RMweb Gold

The Dakota at Arnhem explains the wonderful sight we had of it on Friday lunchtime. While waiting to photograph class 47s on the Mid Norfolk Railway it flew past low over the fields heading east, I guess it must have been on it's way out to Holland for the weekend.

Lovely sight

Martin

Archived