'The Works' my first layout and a foray into P4

johndon

Here are a few pics of my current project, my first ever layout and a foray in to P4. It's a 4' * 1' shunting plank allowing me to try out track layout, turnout construction etc. in a small enough space to actually finish.

Plain trackwork is C&L and the single turnout is from a C&L kit.

First up the right hand end where the 'works' building will go showing the concreted area and the simple traverser:

IMG_0904.jpg

Next up the centre of the board with the single turnout. Track is all ballasted and the ballast and sleepers have had an initial coat of sleeper grime. Building are just for show and will be replaced by larger, scratch built units.

IMG_0903.jpg

And finally the scenic break at the left hand end. The plank can be used as a standalone shunting layout but there will be a fiddle yard to the left:

IMG_0902.jpg

John

Thanks gents,

Work continues on the bridge at the left hand end. Roadway is Scalescenes, all the walls are Wills dressed stone weathered with black oils to give the typical appearance of sandstone walling in the North East. Tree is just there for effect at the minute and might not stay.

IMG_0912.jpg

IMG_0913.jpg

John

Guest oldlugger

Nice work John. I think I'd bin the tree and maybe rough grass that area over and add some discarded rubbish and old bits of rusting corrugated sheet. I think the track and ballast would benefit from some judicious weeding and subtle grass work.

All the best

Simon

Guest oldlugger

Like Martin, I think this a terrific effort and promises to be a little cracker! Looking forward to the neglect with great interest!

All the best

Simon

• 3 weeks later...

And now an update on what will be the mainstay of the loco fleet, the Hornby 08:

2012-10-242255024copy.jpg

P4 conversion from Ultrascale, a few additional details added by me but the 'piece de resistance' is the paint job which has been done by Cav of Outon Road fame - hard to believe that this was in InterCity livery a few days ago. I have to say it looks superb and Cav tells me he's not finished yet!!!

John

• RMweb Gold

This is a really good first attempt at P4 (and a lot quicker than my first attempt!...). The b/w photo is particularly good and atmospheric. One question (and sorry if I've missed this) but is the short piece of track in the b/w shot going to get a buffer stop or some other similar treatment?

Archived