'The Works' my first layout and a foray into P4

johndon

40141 turned up at  'The Works' today, got it straight home and, having butchered the pickups, got it running in P4 using the Ultrascale wheels from the old Bachman 40...

P1170143_zps9c513f55.jpg

John

I'd be interested to hear what you think of the retooled 40. I've just taken deliver of a Dapol Whizzo... (I know, a bit off region for me, but there you go) and it's be interesting to hear a P4 modeller's view of this one.

Cheers.... Jon.

P.S. It does look very "at home" on you superb layout.

• 1 month later...

Jon,

Apologies, just noticed your question about the 40 - by now you'll know of the well documented issues with it some of which I had even with amended pickups following the wheel swap.  Having said that, after a couple of tweaks, it has run perfectly on the rolling road at a snails pace for over half an hour.  It still needs some work on the pony trucks which are prone to derailment every now and again so I think I'll just start by adding some additional weight and take it from there...

Made a start weathering one of the factory buildings at the back of the layout:

P3040203_zps5d8684ab.jpg

P3040204_zps7ba3de53.jpg

John

And more filth:

P3070205_zpsc73ed64e.jpg

P3070204_zpscb806b88.jpg

P3070203_zpsf197dc0c.jpg

John

Cracking job.

As you know, I get to look at this type of building for a living and I can say that you are getting the feel for it very well.

A bit more grot at ground level and on the brickwork perhaps?

Cheers Mark, yes there is more grot to add along the bottom.

John

• 1 month later...
After what seems like months, I've been working on the buildings on the layout again.  First up though, a new loco has arrived, a Class 24 - eventually this will be used on the South Pelaw layout so needs converting and detailing but I bought it as it already had the Ultrascale wheels fitted which is a bit of a bonus as their waiting list is up to 6 months at the moment!!

P4180236_zps39c733d7.jpg

Next up, the small shelter has been fitted permanently, I've added some rudimentary details to the walls as they are visible through the window when the light is right:

P4180237_zps7f81d5fb.jpg

Finally, I've started the weathering and detailing of the centre building across the rear of the layout:

P4180239_zps85730da6.jpg

P4180238_zps0184254c.jpg

John

• 5 months later...

Some excellent modelling here John. I'm a follower of anything ' blue ' - I especially like your track as I am contemplating using C+L myself and will wait till my visit to Warley this year before deciding.

Bill.

Archived