'The Works' my first layout and a foray into P4

johndon

Really like the look of this.The sheds are fantastic , just wish I had the skill to build something that looks that realistic....... :scratchhead:

What's the dimensions of the layout please? I'm just off to look for my tape measure!

Thanks for that,dimensions are 1200mm * 500mm the base is a single sheet of Knauf insulation board.

John

Had a very busy week work wise but got a little done today with the second buffer stop added in the sidings. It's from PH Designs and the sides and buffer bar were very kindly put together for me by Lee (allthingsblue), I've just glued the bar to the sides to ensure they were the right distance apart for the P4 track. Painted black with an initial weathering of brown pastel chalk...

IMG_1371_zps292d7db0.jpg

Diesel superpower visited the works today in the shape of Deltic 55020 Nimbus. I can't take credit for this one, it was purchased from Jon020 but still needs to be converted to P4 so is balancing on the track at the moment:

cfc58546-ea30-432b-9d87-3f62dbffe63d_zps

c1a40b3f-fb77-4375-9008-141bb965c450_zps

John

Ah, I thought that looked familiar! Well done; I've been scanning this recently as I've pulled my finger out and started a small demo board for myself, but with just the one turnout I'd got to hand... but I want to do something scenic too... and I'll continue to follow this with even more enthusiasm ... especially as it seems to be the new home of one of my products. Thanks for posting this... I looked at the image for a while wondering ;-)

Jon

• RMweb Gold

That's great John!

I was thinking about building something similar myself for Acacia Ave, but when I started marking out the Slaters brick plasticard, it was painfully clear that the coarses are not square.

Indeed, there is a distinct curve! So, need to source some more suitable brick plasticard.

What have you used for your building?

Thanks for that Mudmagnet.

I use the Wills SSMP231 Flexible Brick sheets, the ones they make for doing bridge arches. Being much thinner than the standard wills sheets, they cut that much easier. Only downside is that the warp like something not right so need to be fixed to something else - I use 9mm stripwood but I'm thinking of using 2mm MDF.

John

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for that Mudmagnet.

I use the Wills SSMP231 Flexible Brick sheets, the ones they make for doing bridge arches. Being much thinner than the standard wills sheets, they cut that much easier. Only downside is that the warp like something not right so need to be fixed to something else - I use 9mm stripwood but I'm thinking of using 2mm MDF.

John

Thanks John.

I've come across these sheets - so will need to keep a look out!

I'm visiting a few exhibitions over the next few weeks, so hopefully someone will stock them!

The 2mm MDF sounds like a good idea ...

I've a couple of sections of the other bricks, but as you mention are quite thick and not easy to cut.

This is really starting to look the business. Those last photos look better than previous, have you a new camera?

Cav

Cheers Cav, yes it is a new camera - all previous pics were taken with an iPhone - the new camera has a proper Macro mode.

John

They certainly look better. Does it have aperture control? If so bang the f stops right up and you will get a much greater depth of field to get the whole frame in focus. A tripod will be necessary to hold it steady enough though.

They certainly look better. Does it have aperture control? If so bang the f stops right up and you will get a much greater depth of field to get the whole frame in focus. A tripod will be necessary to hold it steady enough though.

Not sure if it has or not, will have to have a play...

John

Archived