'The Works' my first layout and a foray into P4

johndon

A little progress to report, I've started work on detailing the small 'office' building at the back. Brick is Wills sheets which have had a coat of Stone Grey for the mortar which was painted on then rubbed of with a finger and painting of the brick work has started. Roof tiles are from York Model Making, window frame is Wills and the rest is various sizes of Evergreen strip. The building is loosely based on one of 3 that used to sit at the east end of Newcastle Central Station.

IMG_0964.jpg

John

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I've decided to kill off the plank as, operationally, there were a number of problems mainly due to a lack of planning so I've started again with another that if 4' long but a bit wider this time that consists of what is, essentially, an inglenook track plan as shown below:

IMG_1095_zps164b737d.jpg

I'm yet to decide whether to make the track at the far left run the full length of the board so I can run 'through' trains behind the shunting in the yard. Scenic breaks will be sheds at either end.

IMG_1096_zps9b7a9dac.jpg

I wasn't happy with the original buildings that were going to stand at the right hand end as shown in the last pic so they've been scrapped and, I've started on a new one based on a building that currently stands at Forth Yard in Newcastle. Basic shell has been put together so far which still needs some tidying up:

IMG_1128_zps95567f5f.jpg

John

• 2 weeks later...

Concrete hard standing for the shed has been laid and ballasting has begun.  I noticed the last time I was at Tyne Yard that the ballast outside the rails was over the sleepers so that is the look I'm going for here.  Also printed a couple of sky backgrounds to play around with in the pics - the join will, of course, not be there on the permanent background.  Joins between buildings and the ground also need to be fettled...

IMG_1162_zps0951b09e.jpg

John

Cheers David,

Thought I'd try a low angle shot of the 08 outside the shed:

IMG_1165_zps47d9d754.jpg

John

John,

I know we are not supposed to include pictures when we "reply quoting" but I do like this picture.

You need to batter and dirty the cladding somewhat though.  The size of the cladding suggests it is "Big 6" which means it ought to be asbestos on a 6 inch pitch - asbestos dirties up a lot where there is no water run off; so the contrast between areas slightly sheltered from the rain and those that are not will be quite stark.

Cheers Mark,

Once the ballasting is complete, the next job will be to tackle the painting of the shed, I've got some good pics of similar building just outside Newcastle Central Station so will be using that as a reference for the weathering.

John

• 2 weeks later...

Painting of the shed on the left hand end of the layout and track has begun as the resident 08 passes with a Grampus filled with old ballast. The idea is that this particular shed is no longer is use hence the rusty tracks and the building will be heavily weathered to suggest it's not being cared for any more...

IMG_1230_zps5b6169ba.jpg

John

• 3 weeks later...

Been working on the buildings at the right hand end both of which have had their base coats on both the sheeting and the brickwork as well as some signs added prior to weathering. I've also made a start on the roof of the main shed albeit I'm not to happy with it at the moment.

IMG_1274_zpsb9b79ee0.jpg

And a low level shot with the '80s' effect applied:

IMG_1273_zps2acf5cf3.jpg

John

The works has has gained a new reception/departure line which has just been ballasted so requires some tidying up. It is not connected to the other tracks, the 'connection' will be in the fiddle yard so trains will appear on this line then the shunters will split the train up and then trains will be built up on the same line for later departure.

IMG_1307_zpsc3c24ebe.jpg

IMG_1308_zps1b1c9636.jpg

There will be another 'through' line to the left of the new line with a fence separating it from the yard - the only thing I haven't decided yet is what will then sit alongside the through line, I'm undecided between an embankment topped with a wall or a large building that will run the full length of the layout...

John

Archived