'The Works' my first layout and a foray into P4

johndon

John,

With my MRICS hat on I can tell you that there are essentially two types of cladding that will be relevant in your era; profiled asbestos sheet which would only come in a concrete grey colour but did weather to a much darker grey (as you have caught) and profiled steel sheet.  Nearly all steel sheet came with nearly square ribs (they were slightly hexagonal) and it did not - at this point - come in a rounded curve section.

Until comparatively recently there were a relatively limited number of colours that the steel came coated in and these can be found here (but only the standard colours in this range - the rest of the colours are more modern) - it is true that the cladding can be over-painted but this is not generally done until it is quite old and it is needed as a remedial treatment because it uses a lot of paint and costs a lot of money!

The most commonly used type of coating suffered badly from fading; so nearly all of the colours faded and whitened over time from the affects of the sun and weather.  Indeed, it is by no means uncommon to see the original much darker colour below where a sign has been removed - surrounded by a faded colour everywhere else.

Maybe 60% of the buildings that were built in the 1970's used Vandyke Brown.  This starts as a Bourneville chocolate colour but quickly fades through a Galaxy Chocolate colour and then ends up like a chocolate that has sat in the sun too long and has the white fat deposit on the outside!

Hope this helps.

I find myself with a bit of a dilemma...

On the left hand side of the layout, the tracks disappear in to what will be the fiddle yard and, whilst the left hand shed hides most of this exit, if you view the layout from the right hand end, the exit for the rearmost track is all to obvious:

IMG_1959_zpsd6564d47.jpg

So I'm thinking of ways to disguise it. My first thought would be a bridge but this would have to be on a very acute angle to avoid the shed on the left but this would allow me to put a bridge support between the middle and rearmost tracks as in the pic below:

IMG_1960_zps9ad0d972.jpg

My other thought is to have the support there but have no bridge to make it appear as though there was a bridge that has been demolished but I'm not sure on that one, I just can't think of any other excuse to have a solid brick wall between 2 tracks...

Any suggestions are appreciated...

John

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Made some progress over the last couple of days - when the track was laid, I sprayed the rust on the rails and over the sleepers as well thinking it would be a simple job to scrape it back off.  It turned in to the most mind numbing job ever (even more so than the ballasting) but I finally got it completed on New Years day.

I've started adding some more weeds and the next job is to weather the ballast.

A view that no one will ever get to see from the entrance to the left hand fiddle yard:

P1030138_zps462ed43c.jpg

Overall view of the right hand end:

P1030139_zps43f2acc1.jpg

And a video of my sound equipped Class 20:

John

Thanks again for the comments.

As you'll know from earlier posts, I have been wondering how to help to disguise the fiddle yard entrance at the left hand of the layout and I've come up with a solution in the form of a cable bridge inspired by a photo I found recently of the rear of the Central Station in Newcastle which had a similar structure carrying cables over the lines.

So, a couple of hours work with some styrene strip has produced this:

P1060138_zpsea07ff41.jpg

John

I find myself with a bit of a dilemma...

On the left hand side of the layout, the tracks disappear in to what will be the fiddle yard and, whilst the left hand shed hides most of this exit, if you view the layout from the right hand end, the exit for the rearmost track is all to obvious:

IMG_1959_zpsd6564d47.jpg

So I'm thinking of ways to disguise it. My first thought would be a bridge but this would have to be on a very acute angle to avoid the shed on the left but this would allow me to put a bridge support between the middle and rearmost tracks as in the pic below:

IMG_1960_zps9ad0d972.jpg

My other thought is to have the support there but have no bridge to make it appear as though there was a bridge that has been demolished but I'm not sure on that one, I just can't think of any other excuse to have a solid brick wall between 2 tracks...

Any suggestions are appreciated...

John

Hi John, maybe try a pipe across as I have done on Fiddlers Yard.

post-9335-0-41147700-1389048618_thumb.jpg

Hope this is of some help.

Andy :sungum:

Hi John, I've just had a quick flick through from the start, the change of board size was the right move and the pics are really good, I especially like the 08 that Cav did and the Crane.

Good stuff and more pics please.

All the best.

Andy :sungum:

The Works has gained what will be it's one and only signal:

P1090143_zps02b5c306.jpg

And from this view you can see I've used Wills concrete trunking for the same job that the real stuff is used for, carrying the wires for the signal.  I know that the trunking is a little overscale but weathered and 'buried' in the grass it look OK to me.

P1090145_zps111d681b.jpg

John

Cheers Mickey - that's exactly why I built it in the first place, to prove to myself that I could 'do' P4 before moving on to something larger - the locos are all drop in wheel conversions as are most of the wagons although I do have 3 fully sprung wagons I bought on eBay but, on such a small layout, it is impossible to tell which ones they are.  

Of course, I could have just laid and wired the track and called it a test track and it would have been finished long before now :)

John

Archived