'The Works' my first layout and a foray into P4

johndon

Cheers gents.

The layout has now gained it's own lighting rig, a set of white strip LEDs from Maplins.  The only light in the photo below is from the layout lights.  The billboard and side of the shed are in deep shadow as the strip lights have been angled towards the rear of the layout, normal room lighting is more than enough the illuminate them.

DSC00923_zpsd233e379.jpg

John

A couple of new wagons for the layout, purchased ready weathered from eBay all they need is new couplings and wheel swap and they will be good to go.

DSC00958_zps5e383788.jpg

I've also been adding etched drain covers for the downpipes on the buildings at the rear of the layout.

DSC00959_zps9bd5317e.jpg

Having done so, all you can actually see from the normal viewing distance are black rectangles  :no2:

John

• RMweb Premium

I've also been adding etched drain covers for the downpipes on the buildings at the rear of the layout.

Having done so, all you can actually see from the normal viewing distance are black rectangles  :no2:

John

Looking good.  You might try a light dry brushing with a dirty/rusty brown shade; Humbrol 98 for example, that should help to pick out the detail and (IMHO) looks better than black.

• 2 weeks later...
I've finally got round to making a start on the fiddle yard for the layout.  It is cassette based and will, eventually, have the cassettes stacked vertically at the rear but for now, the board is done and one cassette has track on it with rails either side still to fit. Nothing fancy, just blocks of wood to act as stops and align the cassettes.

DSC00965_zps88a857a9.jpg

Here's a shot of 20076, 24073 and 08671 outside the shed:

DSC00964_zpsa91ad1b5.jpg

John

Cheers David,

A bit of a milestone was reached tonight - 19 months after the first track was laid, following the making of a couple of cassettes, a train has finally run over all the trackwork on the layout without me having to lift it from one track to another.

John

• 4 months later...

Archived