The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Things that make you :)

Andy Y

Hell, Hull and Halifax, surely?

I suppose you should include that Corner of Hell that's in Berkshire, that happens to be near to Inkpen that in turn is just down the road from Titcomb.

https://goo.gl/maps/gHNVzHqMF4s

Pity Me is just up the road from me which is strange because after regularly driving some 500 miles to Cornwall  would drive through Pityme again on my way to Splatt. I now find when visiting a pal in the wilds of Northumberland I have to pass though yet another Pity Me to get to his gaff .

Woe is me.

post-508-0-57796100-1471434838.jpg

• Like 3

There is a great book one place names which make great railway names. "Rude Britain" by Bob Bailey and Ed Hurst.

Top 10

10, Slag lane Haydock Merseyside

9, Shitterton Dorset

8, Back Passage London

7, Fingeringhoe Essex

6, Muff/Magh Northern Ireland

5, Sandy Balls Hampshire

4,Twatt Orkney

3, Bell End West Midlands

2, Minge Lane Upton Severn

1, Cocks Cornwall

I choose 24 "Scratchy Bottom" for my LSWR layout

Marc 

• Like 5

Not a place specifically, but it was on a road sign on the A2 at one point: Thong Chalk (being a turning off to the places 'Thong' and 'Chalk')

Near the turnoff for Hoo Junction off the Strood-Gravesend road I think. Grew up round there and cycled that way many times. Funny how local placenames seem totally normal. 

Weirdly, when I typed thong chalk into google images, it came up with a photo of the Ham Sandwich sign, also in Kent, after about 3 screens of underwear and flip-flops.

Edit: hilarious "safely" sign at the Thong Lane/Chalk junction on the A226 on google maps:

post-6971-0-14788900-1471449111.jpg

Edited by eastwestdivide

Morals
Are you as moral as you think you are?
This test only has one question, but it's a very important one.
By giving an honest answer, you will discover where you stand morally.
The test features an unlikely, completely fictional situation in which you will have to make a decision.
Only you will know the results, so remember that your answer needs to be honest.
THE SITUATION:
You are in Florida, Miami to be specific.
There is chaos all around you caused by a hurricane with severe flooding.
This is a flood of biblical proportions.
You are a photojournalist working for a major newspaper, and you're caught in the middle of this epic disaster.
The situation is nearly hopeless.
You're trying to shoot career-making photos.
There are houses and people swirling around you, some disappearing under the water.
THE TEST:
Suddenly you see a man in the water.
He is fighting for his life, trying not to be taken down with the debris.
You move closer.
Somehow the man looks familiar.
You suddenly realize who it is.
It's Donald Trump!
At the same time you notice that the raging waters are about to take him under forever.
YOU HAVE TWO OPTIONS:
You can save the life of Donald Trump or you can shoot a dramatic Pulitzer Prize winning photo, documenting the death of one of the world's most powerful Republican men hell bent on the destruction of America.
THE QUESTION:
Here's the question, and please give an honest answer.
"Would you select high contrast color film, or would you go with the classic simplicity of black and white?"

• Like 2

Morals

Are you as moral as you think you are?

Why do I feel like that joke was written for someone else? I wonder how many different versions of it orbit the internet?

It needs to be updated up for the digital world - like telephoto or wide angle and I would change the venue to Palm Beach, Florida - home of Mar-a-Lago the Trump estate.

How depressing.

How terribly depressing.

Personally I am not entirely convinced that Mr Trump is not a few carriages short of a rake. However to wish death on someone and accuse him of being a criminal just because you disagree with his politics is really not cricket- or baseball if you prefer.

The "Punchline" of the "joke" was also entirely predictable.

Must say I'd be tempted to save him, knowing that the monetory reward would allow me to live comfortably for the rest of life somewhere Trump's political macerations could not reach me.

He'd tell everyone that he's a winner because people like him enough to save him and make you head of FEMA as your reward - a poisoned chalice if ever there were one.

Edited by Ozexpatriate

There is a great book one place names which make great railway names. "Rude Britain" by Bob Bailey and Ed Hurst.

Top 10

10, Slag lane Haydock Merseyside

9, Shitterton Dorset

8, Back Passage London

7, Fingeringhoe Essex

6, Muff/Magh Northern Ireland

5, Sandy Balls Hampshire

4,Twatt Orkney

3, Bell End West Midlands

2, Minge Lane Upton Severn

1, Cocks Cornwall

I choose 24 "Scratchy Bottom" for my LSWR layout

Marc 

Theres a Knicker Brow opposite the old saddleworth station 

• RMweb Premium

Staying with signs, here is the approach to the station at Hatfield Peverel (Essex, UK), on Google Streetview. The post with the station sign has been leaning for many years.

Earlier this week, some men came to do some work on the sign. They dug out the foundations, set the post upright, and poured in some fresh concrete. This is how they left the sign:

post-14389-0-69542700-1471545201_thumb.jpg

- Richard.

Reblogged on tumblr so many times I don't know where the original is.

Realistic Indiana Jones movies

Indiana Jones and the Tomb That Had Already Been Looted in the 19th Century

Indiana Jones and Pottery Fragment #1478

Indiana Jones and the Site Under Somebody's House So There Was No Way To Excavate It

Indiana Jones and the Thing That Turned Out To Be A Low Status Cooking Pot

Indiana Jones and the Temple of Three Damaged Columns And Some Demolition Rubble

Indiana Jones and the Just Got A Pass For Intro To Archaeology

• Like 2