The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Things that make you :)

Andy Y

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Mark Saunders said:

Having spent over half the day playing hunt the credit card; finally admitted defeat and reported it missing, only to be told an hour after the event that it was in your Wife's purse!

My wife has lost her keys, again!

Yesterday we went out with me driving her car. Later that night, she asked me to get something she left in her car. I spent half an hour looking for my keys for her car. Eventually remembered, that I had opened her car to get the shopping bags out for the supermarket trip and I went in my car. Found my keys for her car, on the passenger seat of my car.

Her keys are still missing, but they have to be in the house, somewhere!

It isn't easy!

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, kevinlms said:

My wife has lost her keys, again!

Yesterday we went out with me driving her car. Later that night, she asked me to get something she left in her car. I spent half an hour looking for my keys for her car. Eventually remembered, that I had opened her car to get the shopping bags out for the supermarket trip and I went in my car. Found my keys for her car, on the passenger seat of my car.

Her keys are still missing, but they have to be in the house, somewhere!

It isn't easy!

Some years ago I went to collect my car from a garage but they couldn't find the keys, after some timefruitlessly searching they lent me another car so that I could go home and collect my spare set, which I did.  Once back at the garage and after opening my car the "lost" keys were found, under the driver's seat.

As the car had central locking you should not have been able to lock the keys inside the car.

The doors would not lock if they were open, so activating the locking and throwing the keys inside and shutting a door "locked" wasn't possible.

If you locked the doors whilst inside with the doors closed, opening any door immediately unlocked them.

So how did they get there inside a locked car?

N.B. I tried all possibilities myself afterwards and couldn't do it!

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
30 minutes ago, eastglosmog said:

I certainly was on a Vauxhall Astra Estate, as I managed to do it (engage central locking, open tailgate using key fob to put overtrousers in, close tailgate, find keys were in overtrousers pocket, Oh dear)

I suppose I could've tried that but I don't think I could have got them under the driver's seat. They were right under as if placed there, not dropped out of coat/trousers etc. (Not sure why because there was no reason for anyone from the garage to be under the seat.)

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, melmerby said:

Some years ago I went to collect my car from a garage but they couldn't find the keys, after some timefruitlessly searching they lent me another car so that I could go home and collect my spare set, which I did.  Once back at the garage and after opening my car the "lost" keys were found, under the driver's seat.

As the car had central locking you should not have been able to lock the keys inside the car.

The doors would not lock if they were open, so activating the locking and throwing the keys inside and shutting a door "locked" wasn't possible.

If you locked the doors whilst inside with the doors closed, opening any door immediately unlocked them.

So how did they get there inside a locked car?

N.B. I tried all possibilities myself afterwards and couldn't do it!

What about if you left a window open.

Open a passenger door and leave it open.

Grab your keys and shut the drivers door.

Activate the central locking.

It might beep or similar to let you know that something is wrong, so you go round the passenger side.

Realise that you need to reach inside for something & put the keys down somewhere - pick somewhere easy for the purpose of the exercise, instead of the floor.

Exit the passenger door and shut it.

Now the keys will be inside and the doors locked!

However, since you left the window open in step one, you can just reach in through the window and retrieve the keys!

I suspect the mechanic must of done something similar, central locking is NOT infallible, but you have to work at it!

• RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, J. S. Bach said:

Looking for anything valuable that could be taken?

Lots of mechanics put them under the seat, rather than take them into the office. Not good practice and their insurers wouldn't be happy if a car was stolen!

We were on holiday in Egypt and went to see the sun rise over the Valley of the Kings from a hot air balloon.  Another couple decided they didn't fancy the hot air balloon trip with us so told us they were going bird watching.  When we returned from our fantastic trip we found that they hadn't left the hotel because the other guy's wife couldn't find her sun glasses.  It turned out she had put them on as they went to leave the hotel but as it was not yet dawn she couldn't see anything so tipped them onto the top of her head and then put her sun hat on . . .

Stan

• Funny 9

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Stanley Melrose said:

We were on holiday in Egypt and went to see the sun rise over the Valley of the Kings from a hot air balloon.  Another couple decided they didn't fancy the hot air balloon trip with us so told us they were going bird watching.  When we returned from our fantastic trip we found that they hadn't left the hotel because the other guy's wife couldn't find her sun glasses.  It turned out she had put them on as they went to leave the hotel but as it was not yet dawn she couldn't see anything so tipped them onto the top of her head and then put her sun hat on . . .

Stan

And the husband did not see the frames disappearing up under the hat???????????????:o

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, kevinlms said:

Lots of mechanics put them under the seat, rather than take them into the office. Not good practice and their insurers wouldn't be happy if a car was stolen!

They had a key safe where they looked in the first place.

The car was at the garage for safe keeping whilst I hired a van. It had been moved into a locked compound overnight (They did servicing but also did some van hire)

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, stewartingram said:

Depends on the make of the car - it IS possible to lock the keys inside.

Stewart

Not on my Mazda 6. The other day it just would not lock and started beeping and flashing the lights every time I walked away from the car.  After a few minutes I spotted that the wife had left the other set of keys in a door pocket. As soon as they were removed from the car it would lock fine

Edited by Vistisen
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium

Some of the Chinese descriptions of products are amusing.

A high power valve amplifier:

"6N9P EL34 Sparta X1 luxury high-end electronic tube and gallbladder machine power amplifier kit/finished"

Another couple:

"6J1 FU32 Luxury Fever Electronic Tube and Bile Machine Power Amplifier Kit/Finished"

"6N2 6P1 Luxury Electronic Tube and Bile Machine Fever Kit/Finished Product Bile Rectifier Power Amplifier"

:jester:

• Funny 7