The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Things that make you :)

Andy Y

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Hroth said:

Rule 1: Don't buy from CMOT Dibbler....

Oh go on, It’s a once in a lifetime experience . . .

thump . . . . 

WAS IT GOOD?

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Gold
On 16/02/2022 at 22:36, Mark Saunders said:

The problem is finding a purveyor of good quality ones!

Its also. North, South thing about cured or uncured  pork!

I don't care how well it's cured, I'm not bl**dy eating it if it's been ill.  And I'm deffo not bl**dy eating it if it hasn't been cured...

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
On 16/02/2022 at 23:01, Hroth said:

Rule 1: Don't buy from CMOT Dibbler....

Or, as I once told a chum who'd bought a wobbly VHS recorder in a pub, 'what did you expect if you bought something from a bloke called Slippery'...

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Hroth said:

Due Q4 2022

That's when it's expected to come back down, is it. 

In the 'Great Storm' (how wonderful it is to have experienced something that went down as the 'Great Storm'), I rang my dad in the evening to check he was ok; he lived on Port Road in Barry, and it's a bit wild up there even in a light breeze as anyone who knows the area will testify.  'Yeah, fine', he said, 'all battened down and cosy, no problems.  But if you happen to see a garage flying past...'.  Said garage was thick asbestos and I'd have thought it was pretty much too heavy for even that wind, but it took to the sky and as far as I know, is still going!

Edited by The Johnster
  • Like 1
  • Funny 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

7 hours ago, The Johnster said:

That's when it's expected to come back down, is it. 

In the 'Great Storm' (how wonderful it is to have experienced something that went down as the 'Great Storm'), I rang my dad in the evening to check he was ok; he lived on Port Road in Barry, and it's a bit wild up there even in a light breeze as anyone who knows the area will testify.  'Yeah, fine', he said, 'all battened down and cosy, no problems.  But if you happen to see a garage flying past...'.  Said garage was thick asbestos and I'd have thought it was pretty much too heavy for even that wind, but it took to the sky and as far as I know, is still going!

With climate change, newspapers (especially the tabloid variety) might start referring to the Great Storm of 20xx. And if more than one, the month too....

Giving storms names isn't really helping either!

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

It has been a success in that it’s successfully raised awareness (oo, Storm Eunice, must be serious), but there’s a downside; Eunice has been touted as the worst since 1987, and it’s pretty windy here in Cardiff now just, but not the armageddon suggested, just a normal winter storm, probably Beaufort 10 or 11.  Too much of this talking up of storms is crying wolf, and nobody will take any notice of the forecast next time a really big one hits.  No flying garages (yet)!

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

4 hours ago, Hroth said:

With climate change, newspapers (especially the tabloid variety) might start referring to the Great Storm of 20xx. And if more than one, the month too....

Giving storms names isn't really helping either!

Who gives these storms names? And what surreptitious reasons may they have for doing so?

EUnice!

3 hours ago, The Johnster said:

It has been a success in that it’s successfully raised awareness (oo, Storm Eunice, must be serious), but there’s a downside; Eunice has been touted as the worst since 1987, and it’s pretty windy here in Cardiff now just, but not the armageddon suggested, just a normal winter storm, probably Beaufort 10 or 11.  Too much of this talking up of storms is crying wolf, and nobody will take any notice of the forecast next time a really big one hits.  No flying garages (yet)!

Its probably to help the insurance companies work out the probability of high winds, rain, floods,  in a particular area so they can diddle their customers afterwards.

No flying garages (yet)!

How about flying pickets (fences)?

:whistle:

Locally, according to that broken reed BBC Weather, we are in the Amber zone. Winds are currently gusting at 58mph and due to peak at 67mph by 4PM.  This is down on an earlier prediction of gusts to 87mph for about now.  To be honest, it feels like an ordinary winter gale.

Edited by Hroth
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, The Johnster said:

122mph at the Needles

90mph South Wales

Just an normal winter storm?:jester:

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1