The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Things that make you :)

Andy Y

51 minutes ago, CameronL said:

Mind you modern technology is a double-edged sword. There's still time for a counter-campaign encouraging people to stand on their front doorsteps and, at the appropriate moment shout: "B0ll0cks to Charlie."

Your place in the Tower awaits you!

• Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
36 minutes ago, CameronL said:

To quote Dennis: "Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government."

“You can't expect to wield supreme executive power just 'cause some watery tart threw a sword at you. I mean, if I went 'round, sayin' I was an emperor, just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!"

• Like 3
  • Round of applause 3
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, CameronL said:

...snip... people to stand on their front doorsteps and, at the appropriate moment shout: "B0ll0cks to Charlie."

Just let me know the correct time .................................................

• Like 2
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
On 28/04/2023 at 19:27, melmerby said:

Amtrak really laying on the facilities at this station (Benson Arizona)🙂

image.png.1645a2178fbd530d692e981d3377c067.png

That's it, there isn't any more!

Well, then there is 30th Street in Philadelphia:

Img_131006033844.JPG.5e53abde5978b5c3381b009b1b015331.JPG

Img_130616152359.JPG.bfcb35fdf05256289091498d416e06ad.JPG

BTW, that "U" shaped line is all waiting for one train.

Edited by J. S. Bach
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium
19 hours ago, ColinK said:

Another one from my recent trip to Germany; one of the food outlets in Dusseldorf Hbf,

A693ACB4-0104-4D4B-961D-EA79CC191700.jpeg.46b2e7da94f00ec32f4ccb86009b65c1.jpeg

Must be a UN thing, store and sign in Germany, most signage in English, and what's that? I spy a Canadian maple leaf on the back wall.

Edited by J. S. Bach
  • Like 5

I was in Berlin just before last Christmas and a refuse collection truck went by with "Berlin City Refuse Collection" in English printed on it.  We went to a pop-up restaurant at the christmas market and were amazed at the amount of English spoken.  When we asked why this was, we were told that Germans from different parts of the country found it easier to understand each other in English rather than unravelling the accents from various parts of the country.

Make of it what you will but English is surely the linqua franca of Europe nowadays.

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 6

4 hours ago, J. S. Bach said:

Must be a UN thing, store and sign in Germany, most signage in English, and what's that? I spy a Canadian maple leaf on the back wall.

Are you sure it's a maple leaf?.....

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 4

8 hours ago, Stanley Melrose said:

When we asked why this was, we were told that Germans from different parts of the country found it easier to understand each other in English rather than unravelling the accents from various parts of the country.

Make of it what you will but English is surely the linqua franca of Europe nowadays.

Not just Europe, in my last job two of my work colleagues, both from The Gambia, spoke different languages, they could only speak English together.

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

14 hours ago, Hroth said:

Are you sure it's a maple leaf?.....

Possibly disappointing, but Maple 3 x 3pointed lobes, with 2 x lower single point lobes.  I'm not sure if there are any other tree families with the same distinct silhouette, but can't recall one, off hand. 

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Went the chippy last night, couldn’t decide between a Peproni, hawain pizza, or a sheesh kebab

IMG_0384.HEIC

Settled on a chip bup (weirdly with bap spelt correctly further down!)

IMG_0385.HEIC

• Like 3
  • Funny 9

30 minutes ago, big jim said:

Went the chippy last night, couldn’t decide between a Peproni, hawain pizza, or a sheesh kebab

IMG_0384.HEIC

Settled on a chip bup (weirdly with bap spelt correctly further down!)

IMG_0385.HEIC

I was in a fish and chip shop / pizza place in Conwy, North Wales, once, and the person in front of me asked for a Hawaiian (not Hawain, maybe that's a Newcastle thing, as in "Ha'wain the lads")  pizza. The girl serving him asked him if he wanted a 9 inch or 12 inch.

"How big is the 9 inch?" he asked.

Completely unperturbed by finding herself in the presence of an IQ which was possibly lower than the room temperature, she showed him the box it would be served in.

• Like 5
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 10

3 hours ago, CameronL said:

I was in a fish and chip shop / pizza place in Conwy, North Wales, once, and the person in front of me asked for a Hawaiian (not Hawain, maybe that's a Newcastle thing, as in "Ha'wain the lads")  pizza. The girl serving him asked him if he wanted a 9 inch or 12 inch.

"How big is the 9 inch?" he asked.

Completely unperturbed by finding herself in the presence of an IQ which was possibly lower than the room temperature, she showed him the box it would be served in.

Talented young lady, giving the best of service to a customer, good or her!

• Like 1
  • Agree 8