Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Things that make you :)

Andy Y

• RMweb Premium
31 minutes ago, Hroth said:

Its not just the shirt, he's left his kecks off for a similar reason!

And it looks like the waman in green has caught sight of his equipment and is going to give him a flash....

And the Lady in Red isn't sure what she's seeing

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

I read that McDonald's are in the midst of a GLOBAL network outage and most stores around the world are closed, because they cannot take orders!

Could this be one of the world's biggest outages?

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, luckymucklebackit said:

FB_IMG_1710449460030.jpg.acc17fafe5d751513a715e15eb5fc596.jpg

The interesting font on this old cast iron sign used to warrant a second glance. Someone’s nicked it now so it probably sits on someone’s mantlepiece.

3FB3811A-1DF6-4BFD-ABD5-AAD47DDF8743.jpeg.0377471bc9005e5c6b9ed4b0ca076d5a.jpeg

Edited by 97406
  • Like 4
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Premium
55 minutes ago, 97406 said:

The interesting font on this old cast iron sign used to warrant a second glance. Someone’s nicked it now so it probably sits on someone’s mantlepiece.

It actually reads Gunthorpe Road.

• Agree 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, kevinlms said:

I read that McDonald's are in the midst of a GLOBAL network outage and most stores around the world are closed, because they cannot take orders!

I heard on the radio that most stores have closed, but a few are working off paper and pencil and cash only.

Like why would you bother, it's just too hard these days.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, kevinlms said:

Proberly a blessing in disguise.... for at least one day people will be (a) better off and (b) fitter 

• Like 2
  • Agree 4
  • Funny 2

7 minutes ago, John Besley said:

Proberly a blessing in disguise.... for at least one day people will be (a) better off and (b) fitter 

But not the delivery drivers who will be getting no wages today...

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, 30801 said:

But not the delivery drivers who will be getting no wages today...

I’ll bet people just order from the other stores they deliver for, it’s the store / franchise workers on zero hour contracts who are more likely to suffer. 

3 hours ago, kevinlms said:

Like why would you bother, it's just too hard these days.

What adding up when most of the staff have calculators on their phones? Even when I worked in retail thirty years ago we reverted to manual card machines and calculators for cash, it’s not like electronic till shutdowns are a new thing. Modern cards not having embossed numbers just means it has to be handwritten and the address taken, slower but they can double up on tills like we used to, to ease the delays by serving more at once. 
Modern impatience means no doubt they’ll get tons of verbal abuse but again that’s not really new either in retail! 

• Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

17 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

Remember the TV companies having profanity censors?

They even made Arsenal's name ruder!

image-1-for-virgin-media-gallery-2161080

Sometimes it goes the other way.

BBCblunder.jpg.f36e42e5712f77d40efbe0e2f5ccf386.jpg

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)

There are three major trucking companies (out of many, many) over here: Overnight Express, J. B. Hunt, and Stoops Express. It was said that they planned a merger; the new company was going to be known as HuntStoopsOver. I heard the darnedest jokes on the CB radio!

Note: J. B. Hunt drivers take a lot of ribbing due to some corporate policies such as the drivers have to wear a company uniform, etc. Some J. B. Hunt boxes:

102_8843.JPG.2c25c0ac9e24d1c7fa395c33de563834.JPG

100_9113.JPG.d03e9e16da39a0e5312371df4a0667d3.JPG

100_9112.JPG.f4882c8ae273d8a296ca3d9ca1a59cf0.JPG

That was only one Hunt train of several that I saw. a huge quantity of boxes!!

EDIT: The orange boxes are Schneider (sp?)

Edited by J. S. Bach
To edit the post
  • Like 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

When I was working on the Underground (as a contractor for another company) we had to wear hi-vis with our company name on it. Later on, a number of our guys jumped ship to another company new to the Umderground; they too of course had to abide by LU rules and ear named hi-vis. In later years, that company tookon more contracts on the tube - I believe they were "warranty" jobs for new equipments intallations. So for those jobs they had to wear the appropriate named hi-vis. These guys worked on foot, lugging a wheeled toolcase &spare equipment - one of my (ex) workmateds told me he had 4 sets of clothing to carry all day!

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, stewartingram said:

When I was working on the Underground (as a contractor for another company) we had to wear hi-vis with our company name on it. Later on, a number of our guys jumped ship to another company new to the Umderground; they too of course had to abide by LU rules and ear named hi-vis. In later years, that company tookon more contracts on the tube - I believe they were "warranty" jobs for new equipments intallations. So for those jobs they had to wear the appropriate named hi-vis. These guys worked on foot, lugging a wheeled toolcase &spare equipment - one of my (ex) workmateds told me he had 4 sets of clothing to carry all day!

There are several contrat fire alarm Co's out there who work for different main customers and have full uniform for each contrat...

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, PaulRhB said:

What adding up when most of the staff have calculators on their phones? Even when I worked in retail thirty years ago we reverted to manual card machines and calculators for cash, it’s not like electronic till shutdowns are a new thing. Modern cards not having embossed numbers just means it has to be handwritten and the address taken, slower but they can double up on tills like we used to, to ease the delays by serving more at once. 
Modern impatience means no doubt they’ll get tons of verbal abuse but again that’s not really new either in retail! 

All of which is the precise reason I asked why would they bother. Fact is that a 100% computer operation is very hard to reproduce manually. The slowness of taking card numbers and then later re-entering everything on the system (to keep the stock take database correct - although this could be a golden opportunity for an unscrupulous manager to 'balance the books'), just would be near impossible for an organisation like McDonalds. Quite possible and practical for an operation selling a limited number of more expensive items.

I agree 100% about the verbal abuse, from that point alone, look the doors and send the staff home, once it became clear that is was a total failure.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, 30801 said:

Re: the McDonald's outage...

Screenshot2024-03-15at20_31_02.png.ae58e9fea171ee21672635f289cd4759.png

A lot of people just gained a few more years of their life............😉

Edited by melmerby
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

15 hours ago, 97406 said:

14 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

It actually reads Gunthorpe Road.

A spot of extra weathering should remove the inconvenient little blob at the bottom of the "G".

• Funny 1

Humans caught interfering with evolution (again)?

Two octopuses spotted walking on a Ceredigion beach

Two octopuses were rescued by walkers after they were spotted crawling along a beach.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-wales-60516908

Some say all the octupuses wanted was a romantic stroll. Others say they were the advance scouts for our replacements.

Edited by KeithMacdonald
  • Like 1
  • Funny 3