The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Things that make you :)

Andy Y

I fell asleep with my eyes wide open watching the England vs Brazil football match last night, but I did notice that out of the Brazil squad, eight players had a single name ending in -o (Danilo, Beraldo etc). This habit seems to go back as far as I can remember Brazil in football (back to Rivellino and Jairzinho in the 60s). It made me wonder if users of this parish could adopt usernames ending in -o for a little bit of Brazilian cool.

So, you could show your love of a particular one of the Big Four - Elemesso, Eleniaro, Essaro or GeeDubwaro. Or if your modelling preference was before 1923 you could be Pregroupinho, Emarro, Aycharo, or even Elbyesseearo. 

You could make reference to your scale of preference: Aycho, Scaylo or Gaijnarro. 

You could even salute your favourite engines: Paniero, Jinteo, Foremtio or Ayteffo. (Maybe fans of Class 37s or 08s might balk at Tractorro or Gronko). 

It just occurred to me that this is far from a new idea. In fact, Hornby did it in 1938 (Dublo),

Best wishes all

Cam

(Brazilian name: Notymorcasho)

• Like 3
  • Funny 6

1 minute ago, kevinlms said:

I don't think this really meets the thread title!

That's evolution in action. If he managed to get it started it would certainly prevent him passing his genes on to the next generation. 

• Agree 5
  • Funny 1

1 hour ago, kevinlms said:

I don't think this really meets the thread title!

1 hour ago, CameronL said:

That's evolution in action. If he managed to get it started it would certainly prevent him passing his genes on to the next generation. 

But getting an acceptance from the Darwin Awards website would be truly worthy of posting here?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, CameronL said:

...snip... So, you could show your love of a particular one of the Big Four - Elemesso, Eleniaro, Essaro or GeeDubwaro. Or if your modelling preference was before 1923 you could be Pregroupinho,  ...snip...

It just occurred to me that this is far from a new idea. In fact, Hornby did it in 1938 (Dublo),

Best wishes all

Cam

Not sure that I would like that one!

Back over a hundred or more years ago "-O" was a popular way to end a product's name; one that still exists is JELLO; although the original spelling may have been JELL-O.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, billbedford said:

People have tried that with musical instruments -- piano, cello, drumo, cornetto. 

Just one cornetto?

• Round of applause 2
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, CameronL said:

You could make reference to your scale of preference: Aycho, Scaylo or Gaijnarro. 

TiTio, Esso, Ennio😕

• Like 2
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, melmerby said:

TiTio, Esso, Ennio😕

Actually Esso was not one of the "O" "added onto the brand name" brands, it is the initials of the company: Standard Oil with the "S" spelled phonetically. Another of their brand names was SOCONY: Standard Oil Company Of New York.

The history of that company is fascinating; especially some of the things that Rockefeller did.

Edited by J. S. Bach
To edit the post
  • Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1