Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Things that make you :)

Andy Y

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

Apparently a vast majority of Londoners support ULEZ. 

I wouldn't say vast, but various polls do show a overall majority.

However whilst Inner London residents are greatly in favour, those in the outer boroughs have a majority against.

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

23 hours ago, Sidecar Racer said:

machspeed.jpg.7706064350f55f6a0d9b3c1c3490e2f1.jpg

Excellent. 😁

That got me wondering what else is flying around at v.high speed. Then I thought of the two Voyager probes.

Launched in 1977, NASA’s two Voyager probes surveyed Jupiter and Saturn, with Voyager 2 also visiting Uranus and Neptune before heading out of the Solar System. Voyager 1 has since become the fastest and most distant man-made object in the Universe, travelling at around 61,500km/h at a distance of 17.6 billion km from the Earth. Perhaps most incredible of all, NASA is still in communication with it, despite radio signals taking 16 hours to reach it.

I'm in awe and joy that something launched into space in 1977 is still working.

If we took Mach 1 as 1,235 km/h, it's theoretically cruising at about Mach 50.

I'll get the next line in before the Space Pedants arrive.

Yes I do know there's no air out there for sound to travel through at any speed.

In space, no one can hear you scream.

image.png.75ffe3a825f38ed0b1a5f72491b0b540.png

https://www.sciencefocus.com/space/how-fast-are-the-voyager-spacecrafts-travelling

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium
20 minutes ago, KeithMacdonald said:

In space, no one can hear you scream.

In space, no one can hear you say "Actually..."

But according to the calculations of Professor von Proton, that 16 light hours achieved in 47 years is 2300 times less than the distance to Alpha Centauri (if either probe were even heading in that direction).  Space is big.

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, CameronL said:

On a short break with SWMBO in the Lake District,  and visited the South Lakes Safari Zoo. They have a rhino there with a head at each end...20240402_1546362.jpg.78477dceef68c87684991b2e30724e65.jpg

And its got six legs.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Travel from Buckfastleigh to Saltash... at least three different accents .... or travel 100 yards down our road at home I know of 4 different accents and 3 different languages!

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
15 hours ago, Sidecar Racer said:

accentchange.jpg.2d5689f5f183a8479633853272bbe183.jpg

Reminds me of the old joke about a Devon farmer staying on a Texas ranch, (much abridged).

Rancher: "I can get in mah car and drive for an hour, and I'm still on mah land."

Farmer: "I used to 'ave a car like that."

• Funny 17

• RMweb Gold

Rubberised coia for hedges packed with bubble wrap. . . ? 😉  even leaving it loose you’d be hard pressed to damage it without totally destroying the box first 🤣

Excellent service though 👍

IMG_5983.jpeg.cdedd0d5defcc6696c9e0551231ac051.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Funny 5

16 hours ago, Flying Pig said:

In space, no one can hear you say "Actually..."

But according to the calculations of Professor von Proton, that 16 light hours achieved in 47 years is 2300 times less than the distance to Alpha Centauri (if either probe were even heading in that direction).  Space is big.

And i think Alpha Centauri and Beta Centauri are the nearest stars to us. Makes you wonder how many billions of galaxies are out there.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

Have to agree with old Shrek.....

I daresay the troll has never had to get up at something daft like 5AM. Eaten a full breakfast. Trained. Then had a meal of about 10,000 calories. Then played football for over two hours (equivalent of doing a marathon). All before 2PM.

Just so that SKY or BT can show the match to people like the troll in the pub whilst they're supping ale and moaning!

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

Have to agree with old Shrek.....

I daresay the troll has never had to get up at something daft like 5AM. Eaten a full breakfast. Trained. Then had a meal of about 10,000 calories. Then played football for over two hours (equivalent of doing a marathon). All before 2PM.

Just so that SKY or BT can show the match to people like the troll in the pub whilst they're supping ale and moaning!

For one day a week at £250,000 . cue the violins ,poor little hard done by baby .

• Agree 7
  • Funny 1

15 minutes ago, Sidecar Racer said:

For one day a week at £250,000 . cue the violins ,poor little hard done by baby .

Maybe if you had worked harder then you would be earning that much?

One day a week. Deluded and jealous is the word. These kids start playing from about eight. Day in, day out. Only a few make it.

Most teams now will be playing three times a week as well as training. That's the equivalent of a marathon a day.

When you see what happens to people like Varane and Jeff Astle maybe some will start growing up and keep their stupid comments to their selves.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/68713327

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeff_Astle

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
22 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

Maybe if you had worked harder then you would be earning that much?

One day a week. Deluded and jealous is the word. These kids start playing from about eight. Day in, day out. Only a few make it.

Most teams now will be playing three times a week as well as training. That's the equivalent of a marathon a day.

When you see what happens to people like Varane and Jeff Astle maybe some will start growing up and keep their stupid comments to their selves.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/68713327

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeff_Astle

I spent my working life repairing cars for a living , so a useful occupation benefiting

everyday people , not doing something that serves no real purpose .

Best earnings during mt time ,  about £22,000 per year , 30 of those years were with a police

force so not just  any cars , if I had made a major mistake I could have cost peoples lives .

What was the cost  of a  Rooney mistake .

So take your stupid comments and sit on them.

• Like 13
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

4 hours ago, Captain Cuttle said:

And i think Alpha Centauri and Beta Centauri are the nearest stars to us. Makes you wonder how many billions of galaxies are out there.

After the Sun which is the nearest star to us...  now, where's my coat?? 😉

• Like 1
  • Agree 2