The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Things that make you :)

Andy Y

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, kevinlms said:

I know H isn't American, but he chooses to live there!

He's just registered himself as an American resident for business purposes.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

As a teacher for many years, I was well aware that to do the job properly you had to love the kids.....

......   it was  absolutely fine as a principal driving force, but I could never manage to eat a whole one!

J

• Funny 7

Just now, melmerby said:

He's just registered himself as an American resident for business purposes.

I have been to the USA for visits, covering many months, although I never got asked to register for passing stools.

Perhaps it could depend on the sort of excrement that is expected to be passed.....   ??

• Like 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
32 minutes ago, melmerby said:

How dare a ladybird be called a nasty bug, they're lovely things.🙂

One of the three creepycrawlies that The Squeeze actually likes, the others being chiggypigs and butterflies.  I agree but like spiders as well, if only for keeping the flies down, and bumblebees, magificicent beasts, oh, and dragonflies.  I kept crickets for a while because I like the summery noise, and found they were rather fun, fond of playing 'king of the castle' and knocking each other off high places in their tank.  Kept them on the bathroom windowsill for something to watch while I was entrhoned on the porcelain...

• Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, Sidecar Racer said:

image.png.11a4d52ef3d47d7c722375220fba59a0.png

We did much the same thing, partly as deception tactics aimed at German aerial reconnaisance during the D-Day build-up when we wanted them to think we were going to attack the Pas de Calais instead of Normandy.  Fake tanks and vehicles were assembled at sites in the south-east of England, made of canvas on wooden frames or even inflatables, effective in aerial photography but they would never have fooled anyone on the ground.  I have seen a full-size replica plywood Spitfire that would have fooled anyone but an expert, though, and I doubt your average run-of-the-mill fifth columnist would have spotted the ruse even if it were parked next to the airfield perimeter fence; I found the thing completely convincing, and the only thing that might have aroused suspicion was the lack of soot staining around the engine exhausts.

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Tim Dubya said:

FB_IMG_1713475790381.jpg.94b6740282ae92f4f8d4484a4e2674ac.jpg

There's a Polish version, too.

The board is the same as regular Scrabble but comes with half the number of vowels and a lot of extra Zs.

• Like 1
  • Funny 7

11 hours ago, Tim Dubya said:

Dogs

Did they not have a dog that chewed the furniture, defecated on the floor or barked all night?

Stayed in plenty of pet-friendly places with annoying dogs.

(And I do like dogs.)

• Like 1

14 hours ago, kevinlms said:

It's worse than you think!

If you add up all the media outlets, with each one having social commentators, photographers, legal teams, researchers and other freeloaders checking up on it all, more money is probably spent than what the Royals themselves cost!

This was one reason I think it was sheer genius that Richard Branson gave Diana an unlimited supply of Virgin Atlantic sweatshirts she wore every time she went to the gym. It gave the commentators conniptions and played the paparazzi who had a hard time proving a photo was new.

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

9 hours ago, The Johnster said:

We did much the same thing, partly as deception tactics aimed at German aerial reconnaisance during the D-Day build-up when we wanted them to think we were going to attack the Pas de Calais instead of Normandy.  Fake tanks and vehicles were assembled at sites in the south-east of England, made of canvas on wooden frames or even inflatables, effective in aerial photography but they would never have fooled anyone on the ground.  I have seen a full-size replica plywood Spitfire that would have fooled anyone but an expert, though, and I doubt your average run-of-the-mill fifth columnist would have spotted the ruse even if it were parked next to the airfield perimeter fence; I found the thing completely convincing, and the only thing that might have aroused suspicion was the lack of soot staining around the engine exhausts.

The thing that made our fake army so real to the Germans was that it was supported by equally fake radio signals that populated the sites with fake people, orders and activities.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Hroth said:

The thing that made our fake army so real to the Germans was that it was supported by equally fake radio signals that populated the sites with fake people, orders and activities.

I recall a fake town, maybe Portsmouth? I can't remember. But they had things like sequenced fireworks that would make little blue flashes that to a bomber pilot at night would look like an electric tram going along.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
24 minutes ago, Sidecar Racer said:

Whatever floats your boat , I prefer a cheese omelette personally .  

Happy to oblige…. image.jpeg.5d918d1648f43ad86b3ab826bc274b7d.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Funny 2

58 minutes ago, 30801 said:

I recall a fake town, maybe Portsmouth? I can't remember. But they had things like sequenced fireworks that would make little blue flashes that to a bomber pilot at night would look like an electric tram going along.

There were fake towns earlier in the war, near to towns that had already been bombed, with patterns of fire to represent still burning buildings, to attract subsequent raids away from the real thing.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, DavidB-AU said:

This was one reason I think it was sheer genius that Richard Branson gave Diana an unlimited supply of Virgin Atlantic sweatshirts she wore every time she went to the gym. It gave the commentators conniptions and played the paparazzi who had a hard time proving a photo was new.

Apparently the actor Daniel Radcliffe wore the same black Leather jacket every time he went out for six months, just to frustrate the paparazzi...

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Hroth said:

There were fake towns earlier in the war, near to towns that had already been bombed, with patterns of fire to represent still burning buildings, to attract subsequent raids away from the real thing.

Near Glasgow they were known as Starfish Sites, trenches laid out to look like a town. These were filled with petrol and set alight when a raid was due to try and fool the German pilots.  Sadly they were ineffective as the bombers used the reflection of the moonlight off the Clyde as their navigation aid.  There was one on the moors behind Eaglesham and some decaying infrastructure remains.  More info here 

https://www.secretscotland.org.uk/index.php/Secrets/StarfishDecoy

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1