The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Things that make you :)

Andy Y

21 hours ago, Sidecar Racer said:

image.png.22ef8a5f3842bc3384edd4e57ec7bb75.png

*sigh*

People whinge that the Royals spend too much money, then whinge if like all of us, they wear something more than once...

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, Hroth said:

*sigh*

People whinge that the Royals spend too much money, then whinge if like all of us, they wear something more than once...

I am struggling with the fact that there are people* whose job it is to monitor daily what various Royal women are wearing and refer back to earlier records of what was worn when and where, and then write about the results.  Not only do they apparently get paid for this but get into various prestige events to do it.   I am aware there is an audience for this stuff, but would they notice or care if the content was never generated in the first place?

*Apparently more than one.

• Like 1
  • Agree 11

• RMweb Premium
24 minutes ago, petethemole said:

I am struggling with the fact that there are people* whose job it is to monitor daily what various Royal women are wearing and refer back to earlier records of what was worn when and where, and then write about the results.  Not only do they apparently get paid for this but get into various prestige events to do it.   I am aware there is an audience for this stuff, but would they notice or care if the content was never generated in the first place?

*Apparently more than one.

It's worse than you think!

If you add up all the media outlets, with each one having social commentators, photographers, legal teams, researchers and other freeloaders checking up on it all, more money is probably spent than what the Royals themselves cost!

Let's not even count what the American H&M cost in courts (yeah I know H isn't American, but he chooses to live there!).

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
33 minutes ago, kevinlms said:

It's worse than you think!

If you add up all the media outlets, with each one having social commentators, photographers, legal teams, researchers and other freeloaders checking up on it all, more money is probably spent than what the Royals themselves cost!

Let's not even count what the American H&M cost in courts (yeah I know H isn't American, but he chooses to live there!).

But these people make profit for their employers, so they actually generate cash by selling whatever publication/meeja outlet they work for, satisfying the demand for such material amongst people whose lives are dull and who like to live vicariously as if they were rich, famous, and glamorous.  Profit is generated by means of satisfying an illusory created demand, the basis of successful marketing.

Isn't capitalism wonderful?  Are model railway magazines that much different?  Are we any better than those obsessed with 'celebs'?

• Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
15 minutes ago, The Johnster said:

But these people make profit for their employers, so they actually generate cash by selling whatever publication/meeja outlet they work for, satisfying the demand for such material amongst people whose lives are dull and who like to live vicariously as if they were rich, famous, and glamorous.  Profit is generated by means of satisfying an illusory created demand, the basis of successful marketing.

Isn't capitalism wonderful?  Are model railway magazines that much different?  Are we any better than those obsessed with 'celebs'?

Maybe, but it costs you for those media outlets to make a profit from these matters.

Don't think that only the fans pay for it, which is different to model railways, where there is virtually no public interest in them, except to make us mostly only 'boys still interested in trains'!

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1