Bachmann class 57/3 Network Rail livery

Swifty11

• RMweb Premium

Some interesting information. As always thank you very much.

I wonder what these six new additions to the DRS fleet will be used for once all repainted and back in traffic? The Northern Belle has been mentioned by a few sources but as yet none have been repainted into the Northern Belle livery which rather suggests there may not be any specific locos assigned to these duties.

This makes me think that maybe all of the DRS 57/3 fleet may just share the Northern Belle duties alike recent trains with 307, 308, 309 and 311 debuting.

Some interesting information. As always thank you very much.

I wonder what these six new additions to the DRS fleet will be used for once all repainted and back in traffic? The Northern Belle has been mentioned by a few sources but as yet none have been repainted into the Northern Belle livery which rather suggests there may not be any specific locos assigned to these duties.

This makes me think that maybe all of the DRS 57/3 fleet may just share the Northern Belle duties alike recent trains with 307, 308, 309 and 311 debuting.

I'll drop you a PM now

EDIT apparently you aren't allowed the PM system?

They will be used for National Delivery Service ballast trains along with thunderbird work and charter work

I'd keep an eye on 57305 ;)

I'll drop you a PM now

EDIT apparently you aren't allowed the PM system?

They will be used for National Delivery Service ballast trains along with thunderbird work and charter work

I'd keep an eye on 57395 ;)

If they are used for thunderbird work it'll no doubt be in 3rd-rail territory - they are not compatible with Pendolinos so can't be used for the Virgin thunderbird duties.

57306 has a knuckle as should 57303 as 57301 has lost its one.

There was a Northern 323 that failed a few weeks ago and had to be pushed by another unit!

They'll be well used, as they've been well sort after with GBRf trying to get hold of 57306/312

Thunderbirds are compatible with 319/350s as well

Yes, but given that there has never been a need for thunderbirds for them until now I can't see the requirement suddenly appearing! Even on the 3rd-rail network they seem to have been used very little - I understand the intention was for them to be used to clear the line quickly when there were already closures in place for maintenance and breakdowns on the remaining congested lines would cause problems rapidly. I guess it's usually quicker to rescue with another unit provided the power is on, and if it goes off there are going to be too many stopped trains for a thunderbird to be able to do much.

57306 has a knuckle as should 57303 as 57301 has lost its one.

I believe the coupler heads can easily be swapped over on all the ex-NR locos so that whichever is required can be fitted.

Yes, but given that there has never been a need for thunderbirds for them until now I can't see the requirement suddenly appearing! Even on the 3rd-rail network they seem to have been used very little - I understand the intention was for them to be used to clear the line quickly when there were already closures in place for maintenance and breakdowns on the remaining congested lines would cause problems rapidly. I guess it's usually quicker to rescue with another unit provided the power is on, and if it goes off there are going to be too many stopped trains for a thunderbird to be able to do much.

There is talk of a TPE thunderbird at some point,

They did see use as standy-by locos too with NR. SWT are also being linked with one and FGW want to keep one by the looks of things

I believe the coupler heads can easily be swapped over on all the ex-NR locos so that whichever is required can be fitted.

Yep they have slotted heads so can easily be exchanged

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Hi all,

Looking for a bit of advice.

I have heard that the Bachmann Network Rail 57/3 57312 has had some issues. Apparently windows have been falling out of the loco and also the loco breaking the Bachmann DCC Decoders. Please can anyone confirm is this is correct? Also has there been any other problems with the loco?

Thank you in advance.

Hi all,

Looking for a bit of advice.

I have heard that the Bachmann Network Rail 57/3 57312 has had some issues. Apparently windows have been falling out of the loco and also the loco breaking the Bachmann DCC Decoders. Please can anyone confirm is this is correct? Also has there been any other problems with the loco?

Thank you in advance.

I picked up this model, used but in mint condition and has never been run by the looks of it.

Reading the instructions on how to remove the body to fit a decoder - the instructions tell you to remove the wrong screws.

Upon removing the body 2 windows fell out and had to be glued back in.

One of the Dellner couplers wasn't glued in and fell off.

The snow ploughs included in the detailing pack are too big and stop the bogies moving on points/corners.

Other than the above my model runs brilliantly.

Mark

• RMweb Premium

Thank you very much for the reply and information.

I thought that the windows would be a slight problem but nothing a bit of glue won't solve.

Did you manage to attach the Dellner back on?

The snowplough problem doesn't bother me too much because I will just save them and fit them onto another loco.

Have you fitted a Bachmann decoder? If so has it not blown the chip?

Thank you in advance.

Thank you very much for the reply and information.

I thought that the windows would be a slight problem but nothing a bit of glue won't solve.

Did you manage to attach the Dellner back on?

The snowplough problem doesn't bother me too much because I will just save them and fit them onto another loco.

Have you fitted a Bachmann decoder? If so has it not blown the chip?

Thank you in advance.

The windows and Dellner were simply glued back on, not a big issue but also not something that should be present on a brand new loco from a major manufacturer. The plough could just be trimmed, again no big deal.

I've not fitted a Bachmann decoder, I've had trouble with their decoders in the past so don't use them at all now. I've installed a Hattons 21 pin decoder, but have only managed to run the loco at slow speed for around 20 mins so far so probably not had time to notice any decoder problems.

Mark

• RMweb Premium

Yes I completely agree not something that should be present at all on a brand new loco!

Yes glue will solve the Dellner and windows falling off.

Just to let you know the Hattons own brand decoders only run at a slow speed. I fitted my DRS 66411 and 66412 with them a couple of months ago and at full speed they do run slow. I don't like the Hattons decoders because of the speed steps. They seem to run the trains very quickly on slower speed steps and very slowly on the higher speed steps. I think I will be buying two Bachmann decoders at some stage. So yes if the loco is running slow on full speed that is normal for those decoders and nothing wrong with the loco.

I'm asking because I'm looking at buying some standard NR 57312s to be resprayed as they have the Dellners fitted and are the latest Bachmann base model.

Thank you very much for the information. Much appreciated.

Yes I completely agree not something that should be present at all on a brand new loco!

Yes glue will solve the Dellner and windows falling off.

Just to let you know the Hattons own brand decoders only run at a slow speed. I fitted my DRS 66411 and 66412 with them a couple of months ago and at full speed they do run slow. I don't like the Hattons decoders because of the speed steps. They seem to run the trains very quickly on slower speed steps and very slowly on the higher speed steps. I think I will be buying two Bachmann decoders at some stage. So yes if the loco is running slow on full speed that is normal for those decoders and nothing wrong with the loco.

I'm asking because I'm looking at buying some standard NR 57312s to be resprayed as they have the Dellners fitted and are the latest Bachmann base model.

Thank you very much for the information. Much appreciated.

I only got the Hattons decoder to try it out, as it's very cheap for what it is. My layout is only a 5ft depot so very slow speed is the best I can do unless I build a roundy test track, which I only do for running in.

Another decoder I use a lot is the Gaugemaster Omni-27 (I think is the current model) it's an 8-pin and 21-pin 4 function decoder. I've fitted about 8 in my various loco's and the only problem I've ever had was my own fault for wiring the decoder wrong into an old Lima model. I replaced the Bachmann decoder with an Omni-27 in my Bachmann 66 and I much prefer how the loco runs now compared the the Bachmann setup. The Gaugemaster is slightly cheaper on price (£16 Gaugemaster instead of £21 for Bachmann) but in my opinion is by far the better decoder.

Mark

• RMweb Premium

Thank you very much once again for all of the information.

Yes I agree for what the Hattons decoders are price wise they are a good buy but for me they run just a little too slow. If they were a bit faster they would be great. Like you say ideal for small shunting layouts where a lot of speed isn't really required.

Archived