Hattons Model Railways of Widnes (formerly Liverpool).

tractor_37260

• RMweb Premium

It is interesting that Hattons have estimated the price of the new 2 HAP to be £119.50 but the latest issue of the 2 EPB is £186.96 and the Bachmann website gives the price of the 2 EPB as £219.95.

Now I can see that the two EMU's may have different prices but I am very surprised that the new model is expected to be cheaper!

I have bought items from Hattons for the last ten years and their prices are always good but the prices they put up for new items before the manufacturers give a price appear to be total fiction.

• RMweb Gold

It is interesting that Hattons have estimated the price of the new 2 HAP to be £119.50 but the latest issue of the 2 EPB is £186.96 and the Bachmann website gives the price of the 2 EPB as £219.95.

The price for the 2EPB is ridiculous, considering it's just two coaches and a motor bogie.

• RMweb Premium

As Hattons say on their website listings

Price is estimated - we will notify you if price rises and offer option to cancel

I consider that reasonable fair notice.  I also understand that some cyber-business systems require that a price be given before any item can be offered for sale.  For example Kernow MRC, who I believe use a different system to Hattons, list new items at 1p with an explanation stating that the item will not be available for 1p but rather than "guess" they have chosen to use this value in order to list items and take pre-orders.  Hattons might be in the same position.

As regards the "all-new" 2Hap - which probably isn't all that new given that the 2EPB and possibly (subject to any commercial arrangements with KMRC) Thumper tools can be adapted to create it - the holding price of £119.50 is ball-park against the existing 2EPB models which are listed at this or £124.95.  I would expect a new release to hit the shelves at rather more than that.  

I do wonder if the £186.96 Hattons list for the green one might be an error for either the Capital Commuter commuter set (which Bachmann suggest will be £209.95) or the blue / NSE flashed one which will have passengers fitted but is currently listed at £119.50  We don't yet know how many passengers will be fitted to these as this is a new development though individual figures can cost in the region of £1 apiece retail.  But take a look at the new-batch 4Cep units which Hattons list at £254.96 against the existing stock at £135.  Almost double the price for an existing model reissued with an existing livery and the only change being new running numbers.  Those prices are determined by the Chinese and Hattons will surely offer us their best discount.

We are, as always, free to pre-order or not and to wait if we choose to see that the actual shelf price will be.  

Be careful with Hattons pre-order prices.  When my Bachmann E4 went up in price between my pre-ordering it and being sent out, Hattons didn't let me know that the price had changed.  Fortunately, because of postings on RMweb, I was aware of the issue, and still wanted it at the new price.

In theory, I could have probably made a bit of a stink about it.  Bearing in mind that the price rise was due Bachmann's policy on discounting of new items, the likely result would have been me having to return the locomotive for a full refund, which was not the outcome that I wanted. On the other hand, I don't expect to use their pre-order facility in the future.

• RMweb Gold

The price for the 2EPB is ridiculous, considering it's just two coaches and a motor bogie.

The initial price is just an estimate of what the market will bear (grrr...)  just consider Heljan Pilot Scheme diesels and 128 DPUs   - all started off at £110+ and now Hattons are selling 16s, 23s, 28s, DP2s and 128s at between £52 and £80.  Ok, perhaps they're not an "in demand" item, unless you like/can find a space for unsuccessful diesels or odd parcels units and Hattons seem to have taken less stock of the new issue class 15,17 and 33 locos so they might not have to cut prices to "make space"

I once made an unguarded comment in these parts that the Hornby HST "Train Packs" - also two coaches and a motor bogie - were horribly overpriced at the £200+ price level (Hattons do them for "£190ish") and was told off for not appreciating a super-detailed new shiny thing, equivalent to a main range loco and coach with lighting.

Oh well.....

btw, nearer the date, I'll be placing "pre-orders" with Hattons for a H&P Peckett and an LNER livery B12 if the numbers add up...

Edited by Hroth

• RMweb Gold

I once made an unguarded comment in these parts that the Hornby HST "Train Packs" - also two coaches and a motor bogie - were horribly overpriced at the £200+ price level (Hattons do them for "£190ish") and was told off for not appreciating a super-detailed new shiny thing, equivalent to a main range loco and coach with lighting.

Oh well.....

btw, nearer the date, I'll be placing "pre-orders" with Hattons for a H&P Peckett and an LNER livery B12 if the numbers add up...

I'm with you in not appreciating a super-detailed shiny new thing. If truth be told, I'd rather buy two or three equivalent "Railroad"-style models than one top-of-the-range expensive super-detailed model. After all, my model railway is only an impression of the real thing, and it can get by with all sorts of compromises.

I want to run an 8-car train of 2HAPs, but I'm not going to buy one if the price is similar to what Bachmann are showing for that 2EPB. Bachmann, take note.

• RMweb Premium

For reasons which I cannot determine everything today is coming up listed in US Dollars with the Sterling value in brackets.  Note that I have my options set to UK and Sterling as I always do despite living in Australia. 

For what it's worth eHattons continues to not work with Safari meaning I have to hike over to the .co.uk site to actually place an order.  I could download and run another browser but that would take up significant resource space here.  If Hattons really wants to keep ahead of the game they need to have their international portal compatible - as it was until fairly recently - with all major web browsers.  They aren't always the cheapest and have lost a few sales recently because I can't order as easily as I can with their competitors.

post-3305-0-23866200-1457929939_thumb.png

Exceptional service from Hattons this weekend.

Like a number of other posters on this thread, I had also noticed that what always used to be a pretty much guaranteed 48 hour service had slipped to 72 hours in recent times, however I cannot fault my experience this time around.

I placed an order on Saturday morning, I was pleasantly surprised to get a picking and packing notification on a Sunday, and delighted to receive the parcel via Yodel on Monday afternoon.

Can't fault that.

David

Yesterday my wife telephoned an order for me as I wear a hearing aid and am not very good on the phone.

She told the sales person next day delivery was not needed, normal post would do.

The model arrived mid morning today, securely packed in a stout cardboard box.

The loco a class 25/1 performs superbly.

That is an excellent service I think, many thanks Hattons.

Peter M

• Like 2

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Ordered Sunday got it today (Thursday), some there needs to learn what a 48Hr service means.  :punish:  

Edited by 81C

I had a phone call from Hattons yesterday, because I had a large, fairly high-value order with them that required extra postal costs; they required authorisation to charge the extra, or other instructions if that's what I wanted. 

I rate that as excellent service on their part, considering that I am in Australia.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

That's good Jeff.

I received two parcels from Hattons today which were ordered about 10 days apart though were despatched (according to their postage labels) only 7 days apart.  It seems they have had tortoise and hare transits across the planet.  Both came in huge boxes filled with air bags.  I'm not charged any extra for this but it does seem wasteful when - for example - one contained only a Bachmann sleeping car but would have had room for five more in the box :O  All the packaging goes in the recycling bin here but that's not really the point - it's wasteful full stop.

There is also a partial fix for Safari users such as myself who find that eHattons will not accept an order.  For in-stock items instead of placing an order the site will work if you add it to a Wish List.  Then go to your wish list on your account page and "Add To Basket" from there.  It works.  It doesn't work for out-of-stock or pre-orders however as you can only add something to the basket which they actually have in stock.

That's good Jeff.

I received two parcels from Hattons today which were ordered about 10 days apart though were despatched (according to their postage labels) only 7 days apart.  It seems they have had tortoise and hare transits across the planet.  Both came in huge boxes filled with air bags.  I'm not charged any extra for this but it does seem wasteful when - for example - one contained only a Bachmann sleeping car but would have had room for five more in the box :O  All the packaging goes in the recycling bin here but that's not really the point - it's wasteful full stop.

There is also a partial fix for Safari users such as myself who find that eHattons will not accept an order.  For in-stock items instead of placing an order the site will work if you add it to a Wish List.  Then go to your wish list on your account page and "Add To Basket" from there.  It works.  It doesn't work for out-of-stock or pre-orders however as you can only add something to the basket which they actually have in stock.

The catalogues they include are also wasteful IMO. For overseas anyway, by the time we receive it, it is possible those items are no longer in stock. 

• RMweb Premium

What version of Safari are you running?  I have never had a problem, either with ordering an in stock item or pre-ordering.  I run 9.1.1

9.1.1 also.  It's not the version of SAfari but something Hattons are trying to isolate and rectify in their own site code apparently.  It's a known problem and as they say themselves it's difficult to trace because it doesn't affect all users nor does it affect the same users all the time.

I have successfully ordered some items but mostly the buttons don't register.  It appears to respond to the click but nothing is placed in the basket.  Randomly and occasionally the items selected do get placed in the basket ....... 

• RMweb Gold

The problem affects me with both IE and Firefox but I have found that if I log in to my Hattons account before shopping then things do get added to the basket properly. I should be able to put things in the basket before logging on but it does not work.

I really like the fact that Hattons always fill up a bigger box than needed with Airbags and padding. I have never had a loco arrive from them in less than pristine condition. Not bad considering it's a 12000 mile trip at the hands of the Airlines and Australia Post, neither of which are best known for being delicate in their handling. I'll help save the planet when I haven't got a couple of hundred bucks worth of model trains at risk.

At least they don't use polystyrene like some do.

Edited by The Blue Streak
  • Like 1

Had an exceptional Widnes to Windaroo experience last week. Ordered a Hornby Class 71 and a couple of wagons early Tuesday morning Queensland time, asked for DHL delivery option. Hattons obviously got the parcel away quickly and the little yellow van pulled up outside here at 11.44am Friday morning.

Because we are outside the Brisbane area, usually in the past DHL have handed the parcel to Australia Post for the final delivery but not any more. They are delivering themselves all the way to the Gold Coast now. There is about 6 UK pounds difference for using DHL but worth every penny if we have service like this.

PS - the Class 71 is a lovely runner as well................ Well done Hattons, Hornby and DHL

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Sunday July 31 in late afternoon I ordered from Hatton's a box of code 75 track. Today, Wednesday August 3 at around noon it was delivered to me by HDL in a small town in the Rocky Mountains of Northern Utah.

Well done Hatton's and HDL.

• RMweb Premium

Hattons are rearranging their web presence and eHattons is closing.  http://www.ehattons.com

As of 7th August the eHattons URL will be transitioned to the .co.uk URL which will become the only portal available.  Hattons are emailing eHattons users asking them to update their bookmarks.   The co.uk site was previously used in the main to sell in-stock items to UK buyers though could be used by anyone to order anything offered and at the same price as eHattons.

As I have had an ongoing issue with the eHattons site refusing to place items into the cart I have asked them (again) to look into this and confirm it will not be carried over in the transition.  I used co.uk as a back-up to place orders.  Hattons cannot replicate the problem so may I ask anyone here - specifically those of us who use a Mac and browse with Safari - to notify myself in the first instance via PM so that I can co-ordinate feedback to Hattons IT manager?  What is required is your location (town and country), the version of OSX and the version of Safari you are running.  Your real name is not required.  Anyone with the same problem using any other platform is also welcome to pass the information to myself first.  There is a possibility that multiple single emails to Hattons might not be co-ordinated.  I have evidence myself to show this to be the case as they claimed to be unaware of my multiple previous messages and conversations on the subject.  In my case the blue Add to Cart button darkens briefly when clicked but do not place anything into the cart; the View Cart link also shows the cart to be empty.

Rick, have you tried an alternative browser? Recent changes to eBay's checkout have caused me problems with Kaspersky's 'Safe Money' extension combined with either Google Chrome or Microsoft Edge, refusing to actually pass on my logins to eBay or PayPal.

Internet Explorer still works with 'Safe Money', so that has been my work-around for now. If that fails later (perhaps through updates), I will have to disable 'Safe Money' for the websites involved.

Hattons are rearranging their web presence and eHattons is closing.  http://www.ehattons.com

As of 7th August the eHattons URL will be transitioned to the .co.uk URL which will become the only portal available.  Hattons are emailing eHattons users asking them to update their bookmarks.   The co.uk site was previously used in the main to sell in-stock items to UK buyers though could be used by anyone to order anything offered and at the same price as eHattons.

As I have had an ongoing issue with the eHattons site refusing to place items into the cart I have asked them (again) to look into this and confirm it will not be carried over in the transition.  I used co.uk as a back-up to place orders.  Hattons cannot replicate the problem so may I ask anyone here - specifically those of us who use a Mac and browse with Safari - to notify myself in the first instance via PM so that I can co-ordinate feedback to Hattons IT manager?  What is required is your location (town and country), the version of OSX and the version of Safari you are running.  Your real name is not required.  Anyone with the same problem using any other platform is also welcome to pass the information to myself first.  There is a possibility that multiple single emails to Hattons might not be co-ordinated.  I have evidence myself to show this to be the case as they claimed to be unaware of my multiple previous messages and conversations on the subject.  In my case the blue Add to Cart button darkens briefly when clicked but do not place anything into the cart; the View Cart link also shows the cart to be empty.

Rick, have you tried an alternative browser? Recent changes to eBay's checkout have caused me problems with Kaspersky's 'Safe Money' extension combined with either Google Chrome or Microsoft Edge, refusing to actually pass on my logins to eBay or PayPal.

Internet Explorer still works with 'Safe Money', so that has been my work-around for now. If that fails later (perhaps through updates), I will have to disable 'Safe Money' for the websites involved.

I'm with SRman on this, I am a Mac user and find Safari often doesn't work on some sites especially shopping carts and checkouts.  I tend to use Firefox mainly as it's 90%ish reliable and if that doesn't work I go to Chrome.  Unfortunately IE is no longer available for Mac.

Dave

• RMweb Premium

I have tried Chrome but in its turn that doesn't seem to be the best browser for many of the sites I visit more frequently.  I don't wish to run two browsers using one for only a single site; I tried that when a popular Facebook-related program ceased to support Safari but abandoned as it became too fussy.  I'm not that comfortable with computers that I feel happy switching between browsers all the time either.

I have had no problems with Safari on any other site including the many I use for shopping.  What I have had is one comment via the Hattons "Chat Now" facility to the effect that they (the person then speaking to me, at least, if not the IT people as a whole) were aware of an intermittent Safari-related issue with their site (my italics) and hoped to have it resolved "soon".  That was over two years ago.

Firefox may be

90%ish reliable
but I find Safari 99.5% with eHattons cart accounting for the other 0.5%.