Hattons Model Railways of Widnes (formerly Liverpool).

tractor_37260

It arrived in the post this morning.

That's  not  really  unusual  most  of  my  orders  arrive  next  day!

Order  placed  for  around  6 items  PM  WEDS arrived Royal  Mail  0800Hrs  Thurs.l

Edited by Stevelewis

Well it hasn't reassured me.

I placed an order with Hattons which was put on a picking list on 22nd August. I knew about the upgrade to Hattons systems & expected some delay.

Two days ago, nine days after being put on a picking list I was told that the order was going out that day.

I checked a while ago & discovered that my order was still on a picking list

When I contacted Hattons I was given all sorts of apologies & was told that my order will definitely be going out today according to the logistics manager?

Note to  Richard Davies, MD of Hatton's.

There's an old saying which goes. If something isn't broken then don't fix it.

This upgrade to your systems did not go well at all & the service was not what I have come to expect from Hattons over many years.

Not at all happy with Hattons  :ireful:

Edited by amdaley

Well it hasn't reassured me.

I placed an order with Hattons which was put on a picking list on 22nd August. I knew about the upgrade to Hattons systems & expected some delay.

Two days ago, nine days after being put on a picking list I was told that the order was going out that day.

I checked a while ago & discovered that my order was still on a picking list

When I contacted Hattons I was given all sorts of apologies & was told that my order will definitely be going out today according to the logistics manager?

Note to  Richard Davies, MD of Hatton's.

There's an old saying which goes. If something isn't broken then don't fix it.

This upgrade to your systems did not go well at all & the service was not what I have come to expect from Hattons over many years.

Not at all happy with Hattons  :ireful:

I think it must be something to do with posting to Ireland,  Sounds a very similar situation which I have had with my last few orders.  In the past, picking list was packed and shipped within 2- 3 days, but seems to take longer now.  Last 3 orders I have had to contact them via their live chat,  and was given very similar reasons as yourself. 

I think it must be something to do with posting to Ireland,  Sounds a very similar situation which I have had with my last few orders.  In the past, picking list was packed and shipped within 2- 3 days, but seems to take longer now.  Last 3 orders I have had to contact them via their live chat,  and was given very similar reasons as yourself. 

As I said If it isn't broken then don't try & fix it.

• Like 1

Hattons are using Interlink Express for one of their delivery couriers.

My order (placed on the 27th August but only packed and dispatched on the 2nd September...)  has travelled to Birmingham and back, and won't be with me until Monday!

03 Sep 2016 06:12     Liverpool            Your parcel has arrived at our Liverpool depot
02 Sep 2016 22:55     Hub 2 - Bham     We have your parcel, and it's on its way to our Liverpool depot
02 Sep 2016 16:53     Warrington         We have your parcel and it's on its way to you

I can understand that local depot-depot transfers aren't considered under the couriers transfer methodology but it's still eye-watering that they have to truck it all the way to a hub in the midlands to sort it back to a delivery depot within spitting distance of the receiving depot!

Arghhhh!!!!

Perhaps I should have forked out for the Mersey Tunnel and done a round trip in the car......

Order placed on August 26th, had an email on the 27th saying one of the 2nd hand items was not actually available, picking list picked on the 2nd. Fortunately none of this is a life-and-death issue.

Ohhhhh.... Don't say things like that!

(Yes, its not really important in the scale of things, but annoying nontheless!!!)

Sadly me and a mate have suffered on three successive orders in the last few weeks.

First order was requested next day delivery, it arrived standard delivery. On messaging Hattons they offered the reply that well at least we had not been charged for the postage, despite the fact they agreed that my friend had indeed requested next day to fit in with a deadline we had. we were offered a code for free postage next order.

Next order was a total shambles, they sent items instead of multi packs on contained individual items as opposed to packs, the Hattons contact seemed none plussed and lacked any real desire to put the situation right saying " oh we will have to do a stock take to see if "if" we do owe you" They did and it turned up several days later.

And last week we placed the final order ordering 8 items two packs and two singles, guess what we got a pack and two items. Thursday they trotted out we will need to do a stock take again, as of today they are still to look into the claim. My Mate had asked if I could collect the order for him as I was up around Liverpool, protocols wouldn't allow that! The parcel turned up via Yodel who were less fussy who collected the parcel from the depot!

I like Hattons, I am from Liverpool originally but our current run has given me and my mate cause for concern.

They are OK to deal with, especially if you get a "duff" item, all too common with anything from China, just the delivery times are getting longer & longer.

The last few orders I have placed with them have taken best part if not  a full week to arrive, previously they been quite quick at 2 or 3 days but those days seem to have long gone?

Edited by Tankdave

• RMweb Premium

I have been overseas recently and wondering if there had been any notice of increase in overseas parcels? I placed an order for some Metcalfe kits and the postage to OZ was GBP14 which I thought was a bit expensive as the last 3 orders were GBP 3, 4 and 7 (not for Metcalfe kits)

Peter

• RMweb Premium

Hattons inteenational shipping rates have been well below those quoted by Royal Snail / Parcelfarce for some time and no doubt based on a contract per volume of business.

It is possible that contract has ended and your latest order has been charged "full" price. It's worth asking via live chat though just in case it's another system error.

• RMweb Premium

Checked with Live chat and its the extra weight of the Metcalfe kits (I forgot I ordered 5) :no:

Peter

Fair enough and at least you have the answer.  I have been known to place more than one order when that happens (not just at Hattons) to reduce the total cost.  Or if two kits cost £3 to ship and three kits cost £4 then if five kits cost £14 what would you do?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

One way of avoiding the issues with Interlink and Yodel is to specify Royal Mail when you order.

If thinking of a journey to collect,please bear in mind that there are currently nightmare roadworks on the M6 and other routes in the area.Being stuck there will clear your mind with swiftness....which is more than can be said for the traffic.

My order arrived this afternoon, just as I was about to go out.

As it was a rather large box in its own right (Hornby R1184, Western Express), I was interested to observe the packaging. This consisted of a well secured layer of bubblewrap, encased within a stout corrugated cardboard shell, neatly wrapped in brown paper secured with sellotape.  Despite its journey to Birmingham and back, the wrapping was unmarked and the contents, once released, unharmed. 

After hurriedly putting a couple of lengths of track together I tested the loco using an old Bachmann dcc controller from the Class 25 freight set and declare myself completely satisfied!

From R1184, the loco will go into use, the coaches will go behind "Manston" and the eLink kit will remain a curiosity in the box...

I suppose I'd better get out now, or I'll be late!

One way of avoiding the issues with Interlink and Yodel is to specify Royal Mail when you order.

If thinking of a journey to collect,please bear in mind that there are currently nightmare roadworks on the M6 and other routes in the area.Being stuck there will clear your mind with swiftness....which is more than can be said for the traffic.

I usually do, but it seems that for large box sets, Royal Mail is not an option.

• RMweb Premium

.  Or if two kits cost £3 to ship and three kits cost £4 then if five kits cost £14 what would you do?

That sounds like one of those.

"If it takes two men two hours with 4 buckets to fill a bath" questions...................

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 1

Received my order of 22nd Aug this morning. It only took 15 days.

Was very disappointed with the way the box was packed. All the items were bundled up together, wrapped together in poor quality plastic bubble wrap & stuffed into a cardboard box. Not what I have come to expect from Hatton’s & much more poorly packed that previous orders.

Some of the boxes were opened & had damaged flaps. It seemed like someone had just gathered the items, wrapped them quickly in a piece of poor quality bubble wrap & stuffed them in a box.

Is this the new packaging system in operation I wonder?  If it is then I think I will be looking elsewhere for my supplies in future. Fortunately there were no locos in the box.

Never received an order packed like this from Hatton's in all my years dealing with them.

Had a chat on line & it seems my problems may have been down to a training issue. 

As I said previously. If it isn’t broken then don’t try & fix it.

• RMweb Premium

Tony,

I always get emails stating who processed the order then a follow up with who packed it. You could follow up on the packaging quality.

I quite often send Hatton's an email quoting the packer, with complimentary comments on a job well done as there are many hurdles to cross before reaching Down-Under 

Peter

Tony,

I always get emails stating who processed the order then a follow up with who packed it. You could follow up on the packaging quality.

I quite often send Hatton's an email quoting the packer, with complimentary comments on a job well done as there are many hurdles to cross before reaching Down-Under 

Peter

Hi Peter.

I had a good chat with Hattons on live chat yesterday & that's when the bit about training came up so they obviously know who packed the order.

Hopefully its just a blip due to whatever changeover that was taking place & won't occur again.

I have been assured that the service will be even better than before even though up to this order I had never had a problem with Hattons.

Tony.