Hornby restaurant coaches?

darren01

7943 has vents while 7869 does not (Mike King's Illustrated History of SR Coaches). Vents are shown in the drawing published in The Locomotive of 1928 as contained in your previous post #148.

Agree - If the EP sample is representative, it will indeed be a stunning model!

Regards,

Martin

Thanks Martin, it would seem that Hornby have tooled for two variants.

They did have two examples on display, the other one had no vents and

a wider sidelight to the right of the double doors, as per 7864.

As Hornby were quite busy at the time, I thought it might be asking too

much to photograph both samples.

• Like 2

7943 has vents while 7869 does not (Mike King's Illustrated History of SR Coaches). Vents are shown in the drawing published in The Locomotive of 1928 as contained in your previous post #148.

Agree - If the EP sample is representative, it will indeed be a stunning model!

Regards,

Martin

The EP sample is indeed very nice but does not suit either of the cars announced by Hornby.  7946 was a 1930 built car and 7869 1932 build.  Whereas the EP sample is only suitable for the six 1927 built cars 7858-7863.

Chris Knowles-Thomas

• Like 1

The EP sample is indeed very nice but does not suit either of the cars announced by Hornby.  7946 was a 1930 built car and 7869 1932 build.  Whereas the EP sample is only suitable for the six 1927 built cars 7858-7863.

Chris Knowles-Thomas

I understand there were two EP samples of the dining/restaurant car. See Trevor's post #151.

Regards,

Marrtin

• RMweb Gold

It is certainly my understanding that tooling is being produced for more than one variant and as always bear in mind that EPs do not always represent the final version with correct fitted options for one particular version

The EP sample compared with the Hornby site pictures of SR and BR version.

Clearly differences between the small windows and the vents, maybe Hornby is doing this year this versions and change it next year , like they did with the Maunsell and Bulleid cattle van.

I did see on a you tube Festival of modelrailways London movie, the two samples of the SR restaurant coaches and behind a DMU , EMU ? two other Maunsell coaches i believe, very short vieuw in distance,

not good in sight, very unstady recordings as most of the movies on you tube ,anyone knows what these where? Maybe samples of the third open?

post-17668-0-53654600-1522010791_thumb.jpg

post-17668-0-76731500-1522010827_thumb.jpg

post-17668-0-14502600-1522010860.jpg

Edited by Cor-onGRT4
  • Like 1

It is certainly my understanding that tooling is being produced for more than one variant and as always bear in mind that EPs do not always represent the final version with correct fitted options for one particular version

Quite right, with not always representing the final version.

Look at the Castle 'pre production' model - it was fitted with final version of centre cylinder cover and large front window/straight handrail on cab, plus Hawksworth tender. This mix of parts was not a mix offered in the first production run (and I'm not sure since either).

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/uploads/monthly_11_2009/post-123-1259340134701.jpg

The Maunsell restaurant car looks great. Seems that the SR version is an exact match for the sole preserved example. I look forward to mine, a very worthy addition to one of Hornby's finest range of coaches, which will bolster my preserved Maunsell rake to 3 vehicles (plus various luggage vans!)

The question for me is whether to order the BR/SR version for my 1947 North Cornwall ACE, accept the Hornby BR(S) green as a reasonable Malachite and remove the "S"?

Or postulate that the Maunsell Olive Green version was still running in 1947?

Or wait another year for Hornby to maybe do a livery swap like the Maunsell/Bulleid Cattle Vans.

I could purchase both this year and next but having only 1 Maunsell 3rd open in Malachite re-lettered for SR (not BR, for me in my UK railroad fantasy, time ended on December 31, 1947). 

Sounds like way too many catering vehicles for the one each Saturday that would come in on the ACE and be turned and serviced at Padstow (Or were they dropped at Wadebridge?)

Will there be newer editions of the SR 3rd open to complicate my catering vehicle consists?

Conundrums that maybe advice from Men in Malachite need to help resolve.  

Edited by autocoach

• RMweb Gold

Catering vehicles were withdrawn for periods during WW2, which may mean they were able to be repainted. If so, then olive in 1947 sounds less likely. But Southern was not above painting anomalies - there is a colour pic, dated before the war, showing a brand new 4-Buf unit in olive - with its buffet vehicle in sparkling malachite! In 1947 there was still a lot of make-do and mend, especially on Summer Saturdays when extra portions etc were in demand and formations were sometimes less than orderly.

Catering vehicles were withdrawn for periods during WW2, which may mean they were able to be repainted. If so, then olive in 1947 sounds less likely. But Southern was not above painting anomalies - there is a colour pic, dated before the war, showing a brand new 4-Buf unit in olive - with its buffet vehicle in sparkling malachite! In 1947 there was still a lot of make-do and mend, especially on Summer Saturdays when extra portions etc were in demand and formations were sometimes less than orderly.

The whole batch of 4BUFs were supposedly introduced in two-tone green ........... it surprising how rarely you come across pictures of such an oddity, though !

• 4 weeks later...

Livery samples of the Maunsell Restaurant cars feature in this months Engine Shed Blog here https://www.Hornby.com/uk-en/news/the-engine-shed/sounding-off-with-the-tts-vent-van-and-much-more

Even though I drew Hornby's attention to the fact some time ago it's sad to see that the livery sample for the BR liveried car, S7946S, is on the body of one of the six 1927 built cars whereas 7946 was a 1930 built car.

Chris KT

Livery samples of the Maunsell Restaurant cars feature in this months Engine Shed Blog here https://www.Hornby.com/uk-en/news/the-engine-shed/sounding-off-with-the-tts-vent-van-and-much-more

Will the Southern one be lined as per the other olive maunsells?  (e.g. http://www.bluebell-railway.co.uk/bluebell/pics/1336b.html )????

Or are they in post war unlined drab?

• RMweb Gold

Even though I drew Hornby's attention to the fact some time ago it's sad to see that the livery sample for the BR liveried car, S7946S, is on the body of one of the six 1927 built cars whereas 7946 was a 1930 built car.

Chris KT

I will ask the question of my contacts at Hornby, it is possible that the livery as a sample has simply been applied to what body moulding happened to be available at tne time.

Will the Southern one be lined as per the other olive maunsells?  (e.g. http://www.bluebell-railway.co.uk/bluebell/pics/1336b.html )????

Or are they in post war unlined drab?

Hopefully the post war unlined. And in the future malachite? I won't wait years for a malachite version. Will get the BR green and re-letter.

The latest edition of Hornby 'The Collector' Magazine has an article on page 6 entitled "MAUNSELL KITCHEN FIRST SERVES UP A TREAT" in which it says "...which will cover Southern, BR and Pullman liveries."

Were some of the Kitchen Firsts painted Pullman Umber & Cream, and if so, in what trains were they used - with other Pullmans, or with standard SR / BR green carriages?

Edited by PrestburyJack

• RMweb Premium

Hopefully the post war unlined.

Firstly there was no such thing as 'post war unlined Olive' in livery terms - vehicles carrying such a scheme were basically a hangover from the transition phase between Maunsell and Bullied. The official livery from coaches freshly built or overhauled from late 1938 - 1940 and 1945 to nationalisation was Malachite Green. The fact that there were vehicles still running round in unlined Olive after WW2 was thanks to that conflict.

Secondly, the ONLY other true Maunsell vehicles released by Hornby in this rather unappealing livery version were the 3 coaches in the Dunkirk train pack - which I get the impression has been a slow seller.

By contrast we have had LOTS of Maunsell carriages in fully lined out olive from which you can make a far more realistic rake.

Edited by phil-b259

• RMweb Premium

Pleased to see the olive one is unlined, I'm gonna use it to extend the Return From Dunkirk set with the open third to make a 5 set behind the H2 mmmm =)

Which Open 3rd are you talking about?

When Hornby announced their 2018 range the only Olive liveried Open 3rd coach they announced (which has subsequently vanished from their website), cat no R4833, had full lining - see http://www.kernowmodelrailcentre.com/p/58800/R4833-Hornby-Maunsell-Open-Third-Coach.

As things stand the only plain Olive coaches available are the 3 from the Dunkirk set (2 four compartment brake 3rds and a composite) plus the non corridor ex LSWR rebuilds.

As such it would be FAR better for Hornby to apply lining to the Olive versions of the restaurant car.

Which Open 3rd are you talking about?

When Hornby announced their 2018 range the only Olive liveried Open 3rd coach they announced (which has subsequently vanished from their website), cat no R4833, had full lining - see http://www.kernowmodelrailcentre.com/p/58800/R4833-Hornby-Maunsell-Open-Third-Coach.

The image for that one doesn't look like it had any lining, I zoomed all the way in to double check...

In any case, the only olive Maunsells I have are the unlined ones so I'm happy, I'm sure you'll get a lined one eventually =)

• RMweb Gold

The image for that one doesn't look like it had any lining, I zoomed all the way in to double check...

In any case, the only olive Maunsells I have are the unlined ones so I'm happy, I'm sure you'll get a lined one eventually =)

That's not the model, just a Photoshop job based on the CAD or a previous version, so I wouldn't place too much faith in it.

For the period you model, a mixture is more credible than a uniform rake of either livery, in any case.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

That's not the model, just a Photoshop job based on the CAD or a previous version, so I wouldn't place too much faith in it.

For the period you model, a mixture is more credible than a uniform rake of either livery, in any case.

John

The picture used is the same as the one from the 2012 release of the open 3rd R4537 see the illustration taken from the 2012 release date announces looks unlined,but eventually  it came out as lined olive .

But we don't know exactley what Hornby is planning so the 3rd open and rerstaurant could be lined , but we only know for sure when the production samples are showed,

unfortunatley not sooner.

The 3rd open is announced by Hornby , but no singn of it on their site , exept the blood and custard one, Hatton's does have it on the new announcements , but no releasedate availlable as far.

post-17668-0-32514300-1524305099_thumb.jpg

Edited by Cor-onGRT4

The latest edition of Hornby 'The Collector' Magazine has an article on page 6 entitled "MAUNSELL KITCHEN FIRST SERVES UP A TREAT" in which it says "...which will cover Southern, BR and Pullman liveries."

Were some of the Kitchen Firsts painted Pullman Umber & Cream, and if so, in what trains were they used - with other Pullmans, or with standard SR / BR green carriages?

NOPE ! ........... maybe someone's got their wires crossed here ? - the Maunsell Restaurant Cars running on the Eastern Section were operated by Pullman Company staff - but they were always painted green or, perhaps, RED and cream ! *

( Just to confuse matters, a number of Pullman Cars ran in green in BR days - an avenue Hornby have yet to explore ...... but that's probably getting too far off topic ! )

* Horrible thought ! ........... maybe the 'exciting announcement' will be that 7864 is going to appear fully refurbished in Pullman livery at Warley this year and will then run in the Bluebell's Golden Arrow set in place of the Stove R ??!?

• RMweb Gold

Chris KT

Hi Chris 

The body shown by Hornby, having spoken with a member of their team matches precisely an image, provided to them by Mike King, of S7946S in the the very same livery, condition, configuration and details, so I am not aware where the confusion lies.