Shunters and Pilots in the modern Era

MattWallace

Cracking pictures. What's that rope doing around the 08's buffers?

And slightly off on a tangent - why do they have pre-TOPS numbers?

I'm not too sure why it has the ropes and I'm not really too sure why they have pre-TOPS numbers. I've had a quick google but I can't seem to find anything other than D3871 used to be 08704 and privately owned.

• RMweb Premium

They are no longer TOPS registered as they operate on non-Network Rail lines. Restoring ex-BR shunters in (non-preserved) private ownership back to original liveries/numbers is not uncommon.

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Premium

I think EWS put mirrors on 66's to eliminate the need for shunters in most locations.

If mirrors were so good, why aren't they fitted to other operator's 66's and DBS 60's?

See this and the post below it.

http://www.rmweb.co....ns/#entry803082

Cheers,

Mick

most Interesting. Perhaps they were more of a safety feature to stop drivers propelling trains backwards leaning out the window risking injury? I believe 37405 had them fitted too in its late EWS years . By the looks of those drivers posts, they aren't much good for shunting purposes.

• RMweb Gold

tyseley has an 08, finished in london midland livery, its used to move the rubbish bags from the stabling sidings to the factory on an old well wagon

barton dock branch have a couple of them too (i think one is an 09) used to ride on it from trafford park to barton docks with fastline when i worked the intermodal train there

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

There's still an 08 or its an 09 (I cant remember)  hidden down at Fowey docks in Cornwall.

I was only in the docks just before christmass dropping off some tower lights by the sidings but neglected to take any photo's of it!

There's still an 08 or its an 09 (I cant remember)  hidden down at Fowey docks in Cornwall.

I was only in the docks just before christmass dropping off some tower lights by the sidings but neglected to take any photo's of it!

Hi Gary

It's gone now - departed by low loader late December (08907). The train loco now does the shunting, the success of which is being monitored by staff and enthusiasts alike. I did get some pictures in November as I had a "heads up" it was going. The photos are in the Cornish clay section of the Corwall forum.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Gary

It's gone now - departed by low loader late December (08907). The train loco now does the shunting, the success of which is being monitored by staff and enthusiasts alike. I did get some pictures in November as I had a "heads up" it was going. The photos are in the Cornish clay section of the Corwall forum.

Ahh, thats a real shame, Craig, was hoping to maybe get down there again to phot it, thats put payed to that then!

Thanks for the info though. Il have a look at the photo's, the ole girl was looking abit the worse for wear thats for sure. Apart from Longrock, do we actually have any left down here anymore? I dont think we do :O  I wonder what 907's fate is?!

tyseley has an 08, finished in london midland livery, its used to move the rubbish bags from the stabling sidings to the factory on an old well wagon

barton dock branch have a couple of them too (i think one is an 09) used to ride on it from trafford park to barton docks with fastline when i worked the intermodal train there

there was an 09 parked in the kellogs siding at trafford park a couple of weeks ago just opposite the security hut and theres usualy a pair parked by the gate of the container base near the trafford center

• RMweb Premium

there was an 09 parked in the kellogs siding at trafford park a couple of weeks ago just opposite the security hut and theres usualy a pair parked by the gate of the container base near the trafford center

I believe the Barton Dock working finished a couple of weeks ago. The container depot next to the Trafford Centre is no longer receiving trains - they are now being unloaded at the main Trafford Park liner depot.

No idea where the 09's are going to next.

Cheers,

Mick

I believe the Barton Dock working finished a couple of weeks ago. The container depot next to the Trafford Centre is no longer receiving trains - they are now being unloaded at the main Trafford Park liner depot.

No idea where the 09's are going to next.

Cheers,

Mick

wonder if they will get transfered to the new container depot when it opens 

Archived