Shunters and Pilots in the modern Era

MattWallace

A pair of Gronks are still employed at Norwich Crown Point and occasionally grumble around to the station, my last visit not long ago saw one in Silverlink livery and the other in Cotswold Rail colours.

They're probably the closest to old-fashioned station pilots still left I'd think. When I lived in Norwich they were used to swap sets or vehicles from the mainline rakes and I guess that's still what they're for. Presumably they're found doing similar things around the depot too but I never really made it over to Crown Point - most of the places it could be easily viewed from were moving trains! They didn't do the mail trains though when they were running - I think I recall that once, presumably one of the EWS 47s/67s wouldn't start so the Crown Point shunter was used for positioning. Normally, however, that was the domain of the EWS locos hauling them. That shunt provided a fine hour's entertainment of a summer's evening. It seemed to come from another age.

Adam

Didcot has a shunter. So does Hinksey Yard at Oxford, for the Virtual Quarry, and its activities can be viewed from the footbridge crossing over the yard.

Unfortunatly the pilot at Hinksey is on Didcot shed, broke, and has been for months. The pilot at Didcot has only one compressor so struggles to get some puff in a train, so is not used much. Looks like DB 08's are going down hill!

Sometimes at Plymouth station a First Great Western 08 will appear dragging an HST powercar/Mk3s on a turning move from Laira depot and also if the sleeper starts from Plymouth due to engineering (tho not every time) one with drag the train in then go back to the depot light engine. Few years ago when the Mails were running there was an EWS 09 (013/016 were the last couple still in BR Grey) that seemed to be based at the station, but it also did the Clay/Scrap and Bitumen runs that have also ceased in the last few years.

Tony

Bombardier keep a bright yellow one at Central Rivers, which is usually seen pottering around attached to a 2-car Voyager...

Derby, as always, is a great place to spot them. NR and EMT still keep active examples in the locality.

• RMweb Premium

Didcot has a shunter. So does Hinksey Yard at Oxford, for the Virtual Quarry, and its activities can be viewed from the footbridge crossing over the yard.

08752 currently at Didcot

08757 sat gathering dust at the fuelling point

60011 filling the 'super shunter' role at Hinksey Yard.

08757 sat gathering dust at the fuelling point

Wonder if we could "borrow" a few spares from it when nobody's looking? Though the wheelsets may not be too easy.....

Until recently there was another example disappearing into the undergrowth near the Transfer Shed (and of course, Phantom does some pottering in the GWS Centre!)

One unusual use of 08 pilots in recent years was to shunt Stirling Single Number 1 and its train up and down the platform at Waterloo International for the "Railway Children"!

It's used to shunt the FCC depot at Hornsey in North London.

Thanks.

I'm not complaining, but why has this solitary 03 survived when the others disappeared into preservation & scrap years ago?

Thanks.

I'm not complaining, but why has this solitary 03 survived when the others disappeared into preservation & scrap years ago?

That one came from the Isle Of Wight, where I think they were retained because of the low height of the tunnels over there, which prevented

the use of 08's.

Thanks.

Probably (which precludes any factual knowledge) because it was considerably cheaper to purchase, or hire in the long term, than an 08. Which were hugely expensive at one time. There was much trumpeting in the railway press when Clive was employed, an article somewhere will no doubt reveal all.

C6T.

There was an article about Ketton Cement Works near Stamford in Railways Illustrated last year. It has at least one 08 on the go. With loading and unloading areas, a road bridge, a nearby river, interchange sidings and a link to the main line, it makes a great layout idea.

There is a 08 still in use on Boston Docks along with a 03 both in BR green (I think the 03 is still there, not seen it for a while) which are used for shunting of the steel carrier wagons which are brought in daily by Colas Rail 47s.

These pictures aren't mine. These are ones I found on a google search :)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/world_railways/7981977449/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/41620752@N03/4578190947/

Archived