Penhayle Bay

Gwiwer

• RMweb Premium

HAPPY NEW YEAR FROM PENHAYLE BAY

"We apologise for the delayed arrival of this announcement; this is due to an earlier systems failure of the site" ;)

This year marks the tenth anniversary of first construction on the layout.  During 2005 the first four baseboards were built and fixed up with temporary loose-placed track and some scenic items.  Happy Birthday Penhayle Bay.  

The first train to run in 2015 saw rare traction appear in the shape of the unique class 53 "Falcon".  The roster clerks and traction inspectors must have been out partying when this was sneaked onto the front of the down mails.

i-CkPQP87-L.jpg

Drifting lazily down through the sand dunes in the first dawn light of the year and over the viaduct at Penhayle Bay.  As it's a public holiday the bus passenger may be waiting in vain though the chap scrutinising the train timetable (at least I hope that's what he's doing - but it is the morning after the New Year's party) might have more luck

i-W6qDqnC-L.jpg

The first piece of new work for 2015 has gone in with the replacement of the St. Agnes branch home signal at Treheligan.  Previously a quickly-built two-arm kit the new one has been built to a higher standard and includes (from top to bottom) Branch to Up Main Home, Branch to Branch Bay Platform warning arm for a short platform, Branch to Branch loco run-round (which doubles as a short siding) disc and Rule 55 Exempt plate as the signal is in full view of the "bobby" in the box so a train brought to a stand does not require the crew to remind the signalman of its presence.

i-J84ztxr-L.jpg

Nothing moved to Ponsagwyn Yard over the holidays.  The class 25 "rat", which sees very little use on this layout, was berthed on the clays awaiting their first trip of the new year.

i-H5H6nWr-L.jpg

Finally as the year has turned, and for those not already in the know, I have now left my previous employment in the insurance industry after more than ten years.  There will be a short hiatus after which I join the local rail operator as station staff.  Until I am settled into that role with an established roster I shall not know what sort of impact that may have on my modelling and social internet time but I don't expect too much to change.

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium

Likewise John.  We are among the few who understand that greeting!

Peter - no idea as yet.  I start on the 27th and they'll wait until then to discuss where the vacancies are on the network.  They try to get you close to home but the deal is basically anyone, anywhere, any time.  I probably won't know where I'm going until at least the end of this month.

The signal is a combination of various Ratio bits and pieces cobbled together to do the right job.  It allows fixed signalling for every move I need to make.  The only thing missing now is a couple of "Stop" boards in the BR / WR pattern with the letters arranged vertically on a stencil plate.  I can't find a suitable kit so I'll have to scratch build something at some stage.

No worries Rick, let me know how you go.

The signals on Llanbourne are Ratio, they are a great kit and you can chop and change to suit your needs.

MSE might be worth a look for stop boards.

Cheers Peter.

Hi Rick

I just clicked on the link on your post in the Llanbourne thread. How I've overlooked this one before I do not know. What an absolutely fantastic layout, and some superb stock as well.

Will definitely be following from now on.

Regards

Marcus

• Like 1

Any Cornish layout is good enough for me.  No matter if they are fictitious or prototype, as with imagination (and where would many modellers be without imagination) they represent many happy hours long ago..  Thank you to all who model my favourite county - 3824.

Brian.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Any Cornish layout is good enough for me.  No matter if they are fictitious or prototype, as with imagination (and where would many modellers be without imagination) they represent many happy hours long ago..  Thank you to all who model my favourite county - 3824.

Brian.

1006 shirley? :jester:

• RMweb Premium

Hi Rick

I just clicked on the link on your post in the Llanbourne thread. How I've overlooked this one before I do not know. What an absolutely fantastic layout, and some superb stock as well.

Will definitely be following from now on.

Regards

Marcus

Thank you Marcus and congratulations on also becoming the 100th follower of this topic.  :D

All this weird Cornish banter ... din't unnerstan' a word o' it!!  ;)

Happy New Year, Rick. Keep up the excellent work and equally excellent photos for 2015. I'll look forward to another visit to Penhayle in due course - preferably when the weatehr has cooled off a bit.

Good luck with the new job too. :)

All this weird Cornish banter ... din't unnerstan' a word o' it!!   ;)

Happy New Year, Rick. Keep up the excellent work and equally excellent photos for 2015. I'll look forward to another visit to Penhayle in due course - preferably when the weatehr has cooled off a bit.

Good luck with the new job too. :)

Thas cuz you donave  the right aaacent, boy!

Brian

• RMweb Premium

It's quite a bit cooler than that here, and it's p***ing down.

Thas cuz you donave  the right aaacent, boy!

Brian

Spell check makes it hard to say "enting down" ;)

• Like 1

In todays world one has to be sensitive to all things ethnical.  Hope no feathers were ruffled at my attempt of the written Cornish accent but I grew up with it but never learned to spell it.  Love it anyway!

Brian.

It was all taken in the spirit it was intended, Brian. A little bit of fun between friends. I certainly don't intend any insult but I do like playing with accents and dialects. I'm not very good at it, but I still do it!! :D