Penhayle Bay

Gwiwer

You need a bit more than a RHTT to clear that lot. It looks pretty dry though, considering the wind and rain we have had it's a good thing water didn't get in and do too much damage.

Cheers Peter.

• Like 1

Welcome back Penhayle Bay - now where's that vacuum cleaner? ;)

First time I've had a real look at your fine layout even under these circumstances. I was intrigued by the use of a vacuum; the only time I tried it was a disaster sucking up what I thought was secure enough. Haven't done it since and the dust of ages has settled but hey, when did you last see a clean railway!

Brian.

• RMweb Premium

Welcome aboard Brian.  

The vacuum is set to its lowest power and used with care.  I do lose a little ballast and greenery at times but it's easily replaced.  That also helps to keep things refreshed as a spot of new green means the hedges and fields aren't all exactly the same shade.  Even a spot of new ballast adds to the realism as if the track gang has just ben out and done a spot of work.  In due course it all gets weathered.

when did you last see a clean railway

Indeed.  And when did you see one with all the ballast and vegetation exactly the same age and colours?

• RMweb Premium

Those who enjoy the social media might be aware that I have had a Facebook page for the layout for a couple of years now.  It hosts a selection of the better pictures with minimal captions and is aimed at a wider audience than forums such as RMW.   I also use it to offer a little coaching and direction in the hope that new blood might be attracted and take up the hobby.

It's been fairly steady over those years but required very little time and effort.  I just took a look at the page statistics which I last reviewed a week or so back.  Having slowly gained 260 followers over a couple of years I now have 355, a huge increase over just a few days.

My "total post reach" which seems to be the number of times anyone anywhere has interacted in any way with the page (clicked on a post, a link or commented, or possibly just had it displayed to them by being shared) has topped 10,100.

A couple of the pictures have been viewed several thousand times and most are well into the hundreds of views - that indicates a unique person has clicked on that picture to see the full size (as opposed to thumbnail) version.

Things seem to be moving without me needing to do anything.  Which is not bad for a first layout.  Thanks to anyone here who is also a follower of the Facebook page.  Your support and interest is most welcome.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

30 minutes with the vacuum cleaner.  15 with the track-cleaning kit.  

37207 can now take the newly-acquired CDA wagons on their first run around the entire layout.

i-3J5WQDG-L.jpg

Pippa, still in her yellow shirt and pink trousers, has been restored to her position contemplating the holy well.  For the train driver the way ahead is clear.

i-98QSkRx-L.jpg

The Series 2 Bristol VR bus is another new arrival.  EFE kindly thought to model the exact vehicle we had for our wedding transport so in due course it will appear, at times, with silver ribbons as it appeared on our wedding day.  I might add that we were offered the use of this vehicle which is maintained by the Western National Preservation Group as a wedding gift from my then employer; no-one had to pay fares!!!

i-nVV35H6-L.jpg

• Like 19

Another tip is to place a cloth or piece of tights like material over the end of the nozzle to stop anything you did not want to vacuum disapearing up the nozzle although it means you will have to keep stopping as the debris builds up and turn the cleaner off with the nozzle over an old newspaper or suchlike.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

These trains definitely do not belong here!

However it serves to illustrate that these are quite respectable (if in some ways inaccurate) models which will stand scrutiny on a suitable layout and will no doubt accept a little detailing from skilled modellers as well.

Posed as a branch shuttle and main line train running in side by side at the junction we see "recently painted" blue 2-Bil 2090 displaying a typical shuttle / branch headcode of 1 and green 2-Hal (leading a green 2-Bil) displaying 62 which among other things meant a stopping Brighton - Portsmouth Harbour (not via Littlehampton) train.  

i-Xxb2VWS-L.jpg

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium

A lot has been achieved in the past few days.  Virtually every scene has now been refreshed for the new running season.  Roads have been resurfaced and white lines repainted.  A Metcalfe wooden table in kit was found at RM Web Live in Coventry and these have been assembled for use outside the pub (one) and on the beach (two).  

i-fr9ZtjL-L.jpg

i-6QNjLMd-L.jpg

i-PtBS9FQ-L.jpg

Just in time for our first really warm night of the season and everything is ready at Penhayle Bay.

The sands have been refreshed and dusted with a new top layer which has also been slightly stippled this year rather than being left smooth.  Everyone seems to be at the beach enjoying the warm night.  The new beach tables (items two and three from the pub table kit) are in place umbrellas and all.  

The open-top bus has made its first runs of the season which I consider to run from the weekend before Melbourne Cup to the weekend after Easter.

i-vXxgxFd-L.jpg

i-sFbzXGR-L.jpg

i-gPz24C6-L.jpg

i-kQszDqR-L.jpg

Swimming and surfing after dark isn't a good idea - no-one can see if you get into difficulties.  This was taken with the overhead lights off and the sea sprayed with water to enhance the glints.

i-WDGLPST-L.jpg
  • Like 16

• RMweb Premium

Yes it is!  It's actually on the 17 so should be on Madeira Drive (Brighton) or somewhere else between Rottingdean and Hove.

Until such time as someone produces a model of the very rare open-top Bristol LDL pair which Western National used it's the best readily-available vehicle.  The relief (for very busy days) is a Southdown open-top PD3 "Queen Mary" which is just as far from home as it's screened up for the 102 to Arundel from Devils Dyke via Brighton and Worthing!

It's somewhat ironic that of all the Bristol VRTs that EFE could have produced they chose to issue Western National VDV941S twice.  This is one of the batch of convertibles and ran roofless most summers yet both the EFE models are roof-on despite them issuing plenty of other open-top VRTs.   EFE have released it as 941 in white with badgers and flags (wrongly as 941 never had badgers due to an oversight by the Laira Bridge painters) and in its later guise as 1003 in GWR150 brown.  It ran open-topped in both liveries as well as in earlier NBC "reversed" white / red (used by WN for these open toppers rather than white / green) then white with multi-coloured stripes and branded "Skyrider".  

• RMweb Premium

There has been a problem with my images hosted at SmugMug today.  They are currently showing to me in corrupted form with one image (unrelated to model railways) partially superimposed upon another.

This should self-rectify as cached versions of the page are updated.

It was caused when I changed some of the account settings including upgrading to a "Pro" account which allows me to - among other things - watermark my images.  Once things are back to normal this will mean that most recent images I have posted to this site will display the watermark.

That has been done with good reason.   Largely to protect my interests and assert ownership of the photographic work.  But I also have other ideas at work which require the upgrade to be made and don't relate specifically to railway modelling.  Cryptic perhaps but if things proceed as I hope I'll be able to say more in due course.

In the meantime my apologies if your enjoyment is temporarily interrupted by the picture fault.  I'm also sorry if the watermarking affects your enjoyment but it has become necessary.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

And we're back.

If you are still looking at a corrupt image please refresh the page.  It takes time for the server cache to refresh itself so although I had the problem fixed it took several more hours before this site updated.  When I switched on today I still saw the old version of the page but a quick reload updated that and all's well again.  

Now back to the workbench - there's a lot on and not long to do it in!

• RMweb Premium

A bit late catching up - for some reason I didn't see the new posts in my followed topics list. Great to see Penhayle Bay back in action, and seemingly without too much work for you to fettle it first.

I have to say that the weathering on that yard lamp is superb, but how did you create the water droplet?

• RMweb Premium

A bit late catching up - for some reason I didn't see the new posts in my followed topics list. Great to see Penhayle Bay back in action, and seemingly without too much work for you to fettle it first.

I have to say that the weathering on that yard lamp is superb, but how did you create the water droplet?

Thank you Andrew.  You weren't the 96th follower of this topic were you?  There used to be 96 but now only 95 are following ;)

The "water droplet" you refer to is actually the lamp itself.  What could appear to be a water droplet is the lower part of an inverted bell-shaped lamp just about discernible in full in the shed shot.  

• Like 1

Thank you Andrew.  You weren't the 96th follower of this topic were you?  There used to be 96 but now only 95 are following ;)

The "water droplet" you refer to is actually the lamp itself.  What could appear to be a water droplet is the lower part of an inverted bell-shaped lamp just about discernible in full in the shed shot.

I think I'm now the 96th!

(Just signed up, and it said 95 before)