Penhayle Bay

Gwiwer

Thanks Rick, In that case I will have a look out for some after Christmas when funds are improving, they will be perfect for my Blue Period on both Pencarne and West Shed, (for the Bus on the Bridge) as that's compulsory I'm told. :O  :no:  :no: :no:  :no:  

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

A great set of pics Rick,

I did notice in the last pic of the Hymek the bogie sides look like the bogie step is on the wrong end. Should be a simple case of pull then off and swap then round.

Cheers Peter.

Done!

I reckon that was a factory error as I don't recall ever having all four bogie side-frames off together.  One at a time maybe but that wouldn't account for all four being the wrong way around.

No matter - the cab steps are now below the cab doors where they belong!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hot on the heels of my re-roofing exploits the neighbour has decided - without reference to us and without any notice - to cut down the trees which are ours but overhang on her side of the fence.  I came home to find the mulcher chewing the mortal remains of 50 year-old growth cut back to the fence line.

Legally she can do this but common sense and common law suggests it might have been neighbourly to at least let us know first.  Instead we have been left with half-trees our side which because of their substantial size now look ridiculous.

It also means I have had to carry out anther extensive clean-up of the entire layout and work area and this now receives even more full sunlight and heat.  The natural lighting at the beach and cliff end, which has always proved tricky to photograph well due to low light, now has the opposite problem - too much light and the camera facing the sun!

So far the repairs as a result of the re-roofing have extended to selective re-ballasting and a little re-greening.  More may be needed.  The biggest jobs however are the road over the railway at Treheligan station and the station platforms themselves there.  The road surface has given problems from day one but has been better-behaved since it was remade using fine ballast.  That is now curling in the sunlight.  The platforms are plastic sheet over balsa; the sheets have warped beyond recall and the balsa is splintered beneath them.  The whole lot will have to be replaced with solid pieces of a heat-tolerant close-grain wood such as red gum.  

It's a bit of a nuisance but these are the joys of working outdoors.

• RMweb Premium

Currently I have some large blocks / sheets of polystyrene wombled from a white-goods store and laid loosely over the most-affected areas as insulation.  I first used those when I finished the new roof and found they keep the temperature in those bits they shade to a much more acceptable level.

I can't run the layout with them in place as they sit on the tracks, hillsides and (when it's parked up outside) the rolling stock. They do the job and I can make use of several more.

I'll have to invest in some shade-cloth which I can tack onto lightweight frames and suspend them from the roof bearers for working out there.

As Andy mentions, a real bummer.  It happened to us once with a willow that draped over the neighbours yard and was given a fence cut.

But they didn't care how bad it looked as it then resembled the rest of their yard!

Brian

• RMweb Premium

Sorry to hear that Rick,

Will you have the cut the tree back on your side now? 

Cheers Peter.

Hopefully not Peter.

As Sharon is a senior manage at the Royal Botanic Gardens we have had access over the years to some of the best arborists there are and who have either managed our trees themselves or pointed us to others who can do so to the highest standards.  We had a fair amount of weight taken out of both the really big ones only a few months ago.

The advice we have been given is that since the roots haven't been tampered with the trees should still be stable but to observe how they behave in the next couple of days we get high winds. They are paperbarks so are quite open in structure and the "slab-end" effect where they've been cut won't present a solid wall against the wind.

Unless there's evidence of instability they can stay as they are.  The good thing with trees is they grow back - eventually.

• Like 2

Rick, low blow there pin oak court isn't that far from you...then again it is only about 3kms for Blackburn hijack groups secret operations base! As it is the silly season. We had the street Christmas party.... Where other than the gathering of social drinkers (read the drunks of the street) we had a great time. Model railways even get a mention.. As they know I have some thing interesting in the front room. Neighbourly social occasions are interesting and is a way we try to avoid disharmony. Good luck with the lack of trees it may be worth looking at the polystyrene sheets between your roof rafters to hold off the heat gain. Careful positioning could reduce the heat and increase diffuse light as. The sheet is white. Bunnings and masters usually have suitable material at not too expensive price for the volume you will need

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Following on from the appearance of Southern steam above I made use of some natural lighting effects today to play with the "Wenford Goods", a short rake of china clay and 16ton mineral wagons and vans behind one of my trio of Beattie well-tanks.

The train is captured by the photographer rounding the curve below Wheal Julia

i-VqsV82h-L.jpg

i-SRFtXJh-L.jpg

Having run a few laps of the layout the train then arrived at the clay dries

i-tsBQCbt-L.jpg

i-HgRbtzw-L.jpg

And for authenticity - since most photos taken when these little engines were in active service were in monochrome.

i-zntDgjZ-L.jpg

i-bNDfnqZ-L.jpg
  • Like 17

Very nice indeed Rick, natural lighting makes such a massive difference to Fluorescents, I hadn't realised you had ALL 3, I had one on order but have cancelled it due to other commitments. Also some stunning scenery surrounding the area, excellent pics mate. 

• RMweb Premium

All three of the first batch of Beatties are here Andrew.  As soon as they were announced I knew there was no way I could choose just one or two.  All three come out occasionally when the shed is set up to resemble Wadebridge.  30585 has a rear hook coupler and a three-link on the front, 30586 which is usually only posed as the yard shunter has three-links both ends and 30587 has couplers both ends.  Even in model form they are all different just as they were at Wadebridge!

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Very nice photos.

I have recently been working on all three but mainly the two early crest ones which are now have the late crest and numbers in the correct place for these.

Two of them went on the rolling road last night to give them a run in as they have sat in the box since getting them.

Ian

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Really like Wheal Julia set in gradually encroaching trees.  Just a typical reminder of Cornwall.

Brian.

Thank you Brian.  That is one of the Kernow MRC mine houses cut carefully into two with a jig saw and with the stop of its stone stack replaced with smoke-weathered brick paper and bands of stone-print card.  t's been blended in to the scene using a mix of Woodland Scenics products plus some Carrs weathering powders on the stonework (rust, grey and green). The two parts are placed on a steep hillside one above the other as found at many mines where one engine was used to pump out water and the other to lift the ore.  Miners themselves had to use ladders to and from the workings - very few mines had "man-engines".

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

For the creation and installation of Wheal Julia, which went into an existing scene, take a look back at these posts:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/6296-penhayle-bay/?p=1177137

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/6296-penhayle-bay/?p=1181018

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Strange things happen at this time of year.  Reindeer might not fly here but ......

i-DM2NpVq-L.jpg

Yes, that really is a GWR pannier in London Transport livery hauling the BR inspection saloon!

i-3DGCCPW-L.jpg

And why does the line need to be inspected?  Because the next train was another GWR type though famously pretending to be a type it isn't.

i-S7vttpG-L.jpg

That's no Castle!

i-g7zznjw-L.jpg

And finally a third train, perhaps the most unusual of the lot, turned up in the shape of a Southern Region class 73 electro-diesel (running on diesel power) leading a motor luggage van (running on battery power) and a short parcels train conveying all the seasonal greetings.

i-nqJvQFq-L.jpg

Yes, that's definitely out of the ordinary for Penhayle Bay.

i-S94NbC9-L.jpg

Penhayle Bay is popular at this time of year - no less than three Royal Blue coaches are parked up at the beach alongside the regular service bus.

i-z77m55S-L.jpg

The fleet is all in.  The lifeboat reminds us of the dedication and professionalism of the RNLI volunteer crews who put to sea in any weather when most run for shelter.  

i-LXPx4XL-L.jpg

The oddball SR train squealed around the curves and above the river mouth

i-3Jxn5w7-L.jpg

Despite its headboard there was a rather mixed reception among those waiting for the regular train!

i-zn5c5GJ-L.jpg

The message to all is writ large and clear.  

MERRY CHRISTMAS and a HAPPY NEW YEAR from PENHAYLE BAY.

i-Gjv29p4-L.jpg
  • Like 19

• RMweb Premium

The message to all is writ large and clear.  

MERRY CHRISTMAS and a HAPPY NEW YEAR from PENHAYLE BAY.

Same to you and yours Rick and thanks for the reminder that, as Cyril Freezer said, "Railway Modelling is Fun".

• Like 1