Penhayle Bay

Gwiwer

• RMweb Premium

but I will admit to at least temporary defeat with the Warship works plates on the solebars which are defying my fingers).

Have you tried a tiny bit of blue tak on the bluntened end of a cocktail stick to position the works plates. It worked for my Dapol Westerns with Extreme Etchings plates.

After a long wait the black livery Hornby 153 has finally arrived. The rendering of the livery is superb and the wait has therefore been worthwhile.

For all those UK modellers frozen out of their sheds, snowed into their homes or dreaming of anything but winter here she is making her first appearance at Penhayle Bay .....

100040.jpg

..... where the beach is always popular.

100029.jpg

Detail of the livery shown to advantage as the unit runs around the cliff section.

100033.jpg

Finally the year it took Hornby to get the photographic detailing right and rescheduling production is reflected in the quality of the Truro cathedral image seen here.

100031.jpg

....thats uncannily like Carbis Bay - surely?

Been on Carbis Bay beach many many times and walked the path to St Ives following the railway - the footbridge looks familiar.

Very Good

Ian

Edited by Crisis Rail
  • Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Have you tried a tiny bit of blue tak on the bluntened end of a cocktail stick to position the works plates. It worked for my Dapol Westerns with Extreme Etchings plates.

I'll certainly give it a go thanks, though the problem is as much tidying the edges after they come off the sprue as it is locating and securing them on the locos.

....thats uncannily like Carbis Bay - surely?

Been on Carbis Bay beach many many times and walked the path to St Ives following the railway - the footbridge looks familiar.

Very Good

Ian

Good to hear from you Ian and thanks.  That scene is inspired by Carbis Bay, which I also know very well as it was within sight of my former home in Hayle.  Any resemblance is entirely intended!

Most impressive diesel roster!

Brian.

Cheers Brian.  I don't indulge in flag-waving exercises but it seemed appropriate to present what I consider to be a completed fleet of locos.  Not just for the enjoyment of others but also as matter of record.  This is how they look now and how I can get them to look again if the weathering ever needs re-applying and this confirms my ownership of them should I ever need to trouble my insurers.

• Like 2

....Hayle Travelodge at Loggans Moor - all five of us squeezed in one room a decade back - a week in Kernow for £356 - cheap :D

Yes followed the path from Carbis to St Ives regularly a good walk watching the 153's go by and the families waving at drivers  - that is job satisfaction -  compared maybe only to haulage over Shap and Ais Gill near to us.

Ian

• RMweb Premium

....Hayle Travelodge at Loggans Moor 

I know it well.  I remember it being built!  It was much more "moor-like" before the major developments at that end of town though the extra shopping options are generally welcomed.

Never had to stay at Travelodge though.  There's always been a friend's .... erm .... sofa ;) available since I sold up and came down under.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

The annual clean-up and refresh is well under way.  The clay dries have been dusted off and the white clay residue re-applied.

This view is actually at night under lights though it might appear to be in broad daylight under the new roof.

i-6P6R7WW-L.jpg
Edited by Gwiwer
  • Like 14

The annual clean-up and refresh is well under way.  The clay dries have been dusted off and the white clay residue re-applied.

This view is actually at night under lights though it might appear to be in broad daylight under the new roof.

i-6P6R7WW-L.jpg

Another great photo from Penhayle.

The Maroon livery on the Western is definitely my favourite.

Great stuff.

Regards G.

• RMweb Premium

Despite measuring and checking with the square the camera shows the nameplate on D804 to be out of true.  It's stuck with PVA so a rectification job will only take moments but it's frustrating after taking the trouble to get it "right" and not rely on eyesight alone.

i-nrbzHVd-L.jpg

Edited by Gwiwer
  • Like 7

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Having spent a few hours generally tidying up and refreshing the cliffs and moors around the top end of the layout I also decided a little more colour might be in order for this area.  It's often a bit dark down here as this is the bit which sits beneath a large (real) tree.

There has been an outbreak of gorse.

i-LjPdPpX-L.jpg

i-gcHRBKc-L.jpg

i-FSCFGrZ-L.jpg

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium

Having spent a few hours generally tidying up and refreshing the cliffs and moors around the top end of the layout I also decided a little more colour might be in order for this area.  It's often a bit dark down here as this is the bit which sits beneath a large (real) tree.

There has been an outbreak of gorse.

Are you sure it's not wattle Rick?????

• RMweb Premium

Are you sure it's not wattle Rick?????

Pretty sure - though we are definitely in the right place for wattle.

Wattle flowers make me sneeze and smell of wattle pollen; gorse doesn't and the flowers smell like coconut. ;)

• RMweb Premium

Now, now, Rick. You know you can't use real gorse, or we'll end up with the problem they have in New Zealand. Come on, admit that you have used wattle as a substitute.

:jester:   :jester:

Actually Jeff ......

The latest batch form which these bushes were taken has a very different shade of yellow used for the flowers.  It's distinctly ochre rather than the vivid yellow hue of the gorse flower but comes up OK when blended into the other scenery.

Compliment taken as intended, thanks ;)

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Peter.  You can admire the gorse (and everything else) in person if you're around on Sunday 1st November.  I'll be running a "Western Hydraulics" afternoon with room for a few friends to drop in if they wish.

Thanks Peter.  You can admire the gorse (and everything else) in person if you're around on Sunday 1st November.  I'll be running a "Western Hydraulics" afternoon with room for a few friends to drop in if they wish.

Thanks Rick, would love to call in and watch some Hydraulics storm round.

Cheers Peter.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

The yard / shed area has been dusted off and tidied up for another season.

Plenty "on shed" tonight!

i-mJMZpQx-L.jpg

But what's this shady deal going on at the old goods shed?

i-VWDQVMN-L.jpg

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium

Penhayle Bay will be running a Western Hydraulics timetable on Sunday 1st November between around 2.30 and 5pm for anyone wishing to drop in.  If you do plan on coming along I'd appreciate a message first just so I know how many to expect.

This will be the only open-door event before Christmas though I intend to have a Rule 1 Day late in our summer after the risk of extreme heat has largely passed with the possibility that anything might run.

• Like 4