The next Ixion loco - what do you want?

81A Oldoak

"the 85a models 15" hunslet."

As I have said here before, that is perfectly possible because I have one of those.

David

I find myself green with envy.

I thought ixion only did 0 gauge, then again I have been away from the hobby some years now

Guest Isambarduk

Well, the 85A 15" Hunslet was a plastic kit that came with the frames RTR.  They have not been available for a long time now but there must be dozens about unbuilt somewhere because you relatively rarely see them on show, so an appeal in the 'wanted' may procure one.

Of course, I could not just assemble mine as in intended so I completely dismantled the frames and cut them about, I altered the remaining components and made others parts to produce 'Airedale' the first of the class, which was a little different to those of the production run.

Hunslet-AiredaleBW.jpg

A detailed description of what was involved is at: www.davidlosmith.co.uk/HunsletAiredale.htm

David

"the 85a models 15" hunslet."

As I have said here before, that is perfectly possible because I have one of those.

I had already spent an age building a Hudswell Clarke 0-6-0ST when the Ixion RTR appeared and, I had already spent an age building a Fowler 0-4-0DM when the Ixion RTR appeared so it's not unreasonable to assume that the next loco will be one that I already have!  Won't stop me buying one, though :-)

David

David - could you start building a GCR / ROD 2-8-0 please.  Quick as you like.

Tony

7mm North British Class 22 please :)

Hi Phill,

I agree - the Dapol one seemed nice in the smaller scales - yet judging by their performance/releases to date I think that a.n.other manufacturer would have an open opportunity to do one at a fair price and Ixion would be an ideal choice.

Look at us, were 'wish listing'  :derisive:  :)

ATVB

CME

I personally tend to go for the obscure, strange or plain weird animals. so hoe about an Aveling Porter geared loco?

You can get a kit for one - which, it could be argued, is the most appropriate route for such prototypes. It has to be remembered that Ixion need to make a return on their investment.

http://agenoria0gauge.com/abante/index.php?rt=product/category&path=68

Hi Phill,

I agree - the Dapol one seemed nice in the smaller scales - yet judging by their performance/releases to date I think that a.n.other manufacturer would have an open opportunity to do one at a fair price and Ixion would be an ideal choice.

Look at us, were 'wish listing'  :derisive:  :)

ATVB

CME

Hi CME :sarcastichand:  :mosking:

I had sight of the JLTRT kit for the cl22 this weekend, which looks very nice, but still feel there would be a market for a RTR version in 7mm and being a small Bo Bo it would suit lots of different types of layouts. I wouldnt want to advocate duplication so market research would have to be conducted in that regard.

ATVB

CME :)

JLTRT kits are all very nice, but what has to be factored in is not just the kit cost, which is at the top end of comparable RTR prices (eg Heljan), the cost of motors/gears/wheels needs adding, & a modeller's assessment of his own ability to build & paint it to a standard he's happy with. There's a certain kit-built Deltic on Ebay at the moment with "oh dear" windscreens - it's a sombre advert for why some of us want RTR, & why a nice competetively-priced TTR Class 22 could do well (but a GP38-2 would do better :P :D :jester: )

JLTRT kits are all very nice, but what has to be factored in is not just the kit cost, which is at the top end of comparable RTR prices (eg Heljan), the cost of motors/gears/wheels needs adding, & a modeller's assessment of his own ability to build & paint it to a standard he's happy with. There's a certain kit-built Deltic on Ebay at the moment with "oh dear" windscreens - it's a sombre advert for why some of us want RTR, & why a nice competetively-priced TTR Class 22 could do well (but a GP38-2 would do better :P :D :jester: )

Hi Jordan,

I agree, also, even if one can do a decent job of building, painting and weathering, there is the time and effort involved '...time is the most precious gift of all..' (or words to that effect).

ATVB

CME

I didn't include the time taken for a kit build, as for many, that's part of the pleasure. For others of us, it's the end result that matters - having a loco we like to work the trains we want. How we get that loco is just a means to an end, & if getting it RTR frees up our time for other aspects of modelling, so be it.....

I doubt there is a big enough market for a mass-produced Class 22 and I will end up building a JLTRT kit. The GP38 is an interesting idea as I think it has only be available from Lionel and in expensive brass. Unfortunately, exporting to the USA is not a pleasant process as we discovered with the 0n30 Coffee Pot steam railmotor; the late Sir Humphrey Appelby would have been proud of the byzantine bureacracy.

There are plenty of GP38's available in 3-rail O (aaargh!! yuk!!! :shout:) and Weaver did one for 2-rail, but it's not the most accurate model or the best molding.

As the type was built in significant numbers, the lack of a model to, say, Atlas standards is a big gap in the 2-rail market. Same goes for the GP40.

I appreciate Chris's comments re Export & Import, as well. Oh for the days a few years back when £1 was worth $2, & shipping from the USA wasn't at silly prices!!! :O :(

I doubt there is a big enough market for a mass-produced Class 22 and I will end up building a JLTRT kit. The GP38 is an interesting idea as I think it has only be available from Lionel and in expensive brass. Unfortunately, exporting to the USA is not a pleasant process as we discovered with the 0n30 Coffee Pot steam railmotor; the late Sir Humphrey Appelby would have been proud of the byzantine bureacracy.

Hi Chris,

You are the subject matter expert, so I bow to your expertise, yet I am not so sure of your comments re the Cl22 (sorry to disagree), after all Heljan started the whole thing off with half decent RTR plastic bodied heavy oil locos in 7mm with the Hymek - all the naysayers said it would never sell, but it did, it sold out. Possibly the best representation in model form of a Hymek out there too.

There was a strong rumour that Dapol would do the Cl22 in 7mm as they had all the research from the '00' and 'N' versions yet not sure when they would ever get such to market <just pops out to feed the squadron of flying saddle backs which have just landed in the back garden - back again to keyboard now :derisive: >.

Whilst I am not saying that Dapol are the font of all knowledge they must have felt there was a market for a RTR version in 7mm - maybe DJ was the driving force behind such a model?

So as no other manufacturer has peed on the lamppost that is a proposed model of a RTR 7mm class 22 ring fenced a reasonably priced RTR 7mm class 22, who will take up the gauntlet now?? :derisive:

ATVB

PS I agree, so much for, so called, 'free-trade' with the kids and cousins (the US of A), so much for 'free-trade' with those who are only divided by a common language (English). I am guessing therefore 'free-trade' is only for the rich, ie. TPTB? When studying postgrad business I had to do a module on 'International Trade and Political Risk', Documentary Letters of Credit and Import/Export was the most tedious and overly bureaucratic thing I had ever encountered/studied (the rest of the course was great), oh that and 'Statistics' as part of undergrad studies  :O  :scared:  :scratchhead:  :secret:  :read:  :blackeye:

CME makes a good point about the Heljan Hymek and it does give me pause for thought about the Class 22. I would probably want two Class 22s, one in green sans yellow warning panel and one in blue. Meanwhile, here some shots of my Heljan Hymek. The first railway photograph that I shot was of a blue Hymek coming off Bristol Bath Road shed in 1960.

post-13142-0-25419700-1422610923_thumb.jpg

post-13142-0-03717500-1422610926_thumb.jpg

post-13142-0-59385900-1422610929_thumb.jpg

post-13142-0-93698200-1422610931_thumb.jpg

post-13142-0-94047300-1422610933_thumb.jpg

Thanks Chris.  :)

As you know I wouldnt expect any manufacturer to produce something that wouldnt be viable. :)

Love the Hymek and the weathering - will you be fitting a crew? :yes:

Kindest,

Crew will be fitted when I find some suitable figures. I also have some etched numbers to replaced the printed originals. THe SWD DCC sound decoder is very impressive.

Archived