The next Ixion loco - what do you want?

81A Oldoak

I feel I ought to write something, but I don't know what.

Edit for correcting the second occurrence of the first person perpendicular pronoun from lower to upper case.

poetry?

The man who supplies lovely toys

has annoyed quite a few of the boys

he won't say what is next

which has made them quite vexed

Be patient - and stop all this noise!

edited for relevance

• RMweb Premium

...and when you do post pictures of the next Ixion, however good it is, you will be subjected to a barrage of complaints...

It's the wrong shade of black

the floggle-toggles are oversize

and anyway floggle-toggles weren't fitted until 1948

it's too expensive

shouldn't the futtocks be flared?

are you going to do the 1911 version? - I'm hanging on for that

it's a pity you didn't do the rebuilds - I would have bought four

and on...

and on...

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

I was only thinking the other day how many threads of late are full of folk complaining that everything they want, no matter how obscure, isn't handed to them on a plate by grateful manufacturers.

I was only thinking the other day how many threads of late are full of folk complaining that everything they want, no matter how obscure, isn't handed to them on a plate by grateful manufacturers.

As you say there does not seem to be much interest in doing something for themselves.

• RMweb Premium

As you say there does not seem to be much interest in doing something for themselves.

In contrast, I've spent an evening putting 4mm RTR stuff on eBay so that I can afford to buy some 7mm kits to make myself...

In contrast, I've spent an evening putting 4mm RTR stuff on eBay so that I can afford to buy some 7mm kits to make myself...

I also found a few bits of 4mm I had left over, and also putting on next week so I can post once I arrive in the UK. No locos or such, just parts.

O gauge J72, J50, J69, Sentinel steam railcar diagram 90 - 96. No hurry, one each year will do!

All three of those locomotives have passed across our desk. THe J72 would probably be the most viable, but DJH has offered it RTR for several years albeit at a price ranging from £925 to £1,025.

• RMweb Gold

I think this shows the problems with other railways for GWR fans an 0-6-0 pannier is the workhorse for LNER the J72,J50 and J69 are really much the same but representative of the three constituents of the LNER. Whether I choose to set a model in Devon, Wales or the Costwolds a pannier could appear. It may be my ignorance but I assume a J69 for Suffolk, a J72 for the North East and A J50 on the old GNR and that still leaves the GCR without a representative. I accept there may be overlaps but my point is the demand for any one will be split.

My feelings are that Ixion will look for a small loco around the margins. As a producer of quality models is a shame you don't have a free run at some of the more widely spread choices such as the terrier and the 08.

The J69 might be nice could I justify one not really but there is temptation....

Don

I think this shows the problems with other railways for GWR fans an 0-6-0 pannier is the workhorse for LNER the J72,J50 and J69 are really much the same but representative of the three constituents of the LNER. Whether I choose to set a model in Devon, Wales or the Costwolds a pannier could appear. It may be my ignorance but I assume a J69 for Suffolk, a J72 for the North East and A J50 on the old GNR and that still leaves the GCR without a representative. I accept there may be overlaps but my point is the demand for any one will be split.

My feelings are that Ixion will look for a small loco around the margins. As a producer of quality models is a shame you don't have a free run at some of the more widely spread choices such as the terrier and the 08.

The J69 might be nice could I justify one not really but there is temptation....

Don

That is a very good point. Whilst from a purely selfish point of view a J72 would be great, I don't know whether the geographical spread would ve enough to make it a winner in sales terms. Having said that it obviously worked for Mainline all those years ago.

As you say it probably has to tick the industrial/light railway box as well - something which is difficult. I have previous suggested a Wisbech and Upwell Y6 tram loco which, whilst again very geographically confined, would allow potential use as a generic light railway engine too. Wishful thinking maybe but a possibility all the same. That definitely does not tick the Australian box either!! Althouhgh the 'Toby factor' would help with sales I am in no doubt...

Anyway I am sure when the next loco is revealed there will be some happy chaps and some who will be disappointed but given Ixion's track record they know what they are doing and will deliver a top class product.

David

Don

Don hits the nail squarely on the head with 0-6-0Ts and the same applies to 0-6-0 tender engines. This is the legacy of a railway network that was based on free enterprise rather than the state owned monoliths on continental Europe with their standardised fleets.  The key figure for us is 1,000 sales and preferably 1,500. The ideal loco is probably a widely used, privately built industrial loco that found its way into ownership by a mainline company or companies. The Jinty 3F also has potential as it had a long life and was very widespread. I'm sure you will all appreciate the commercial risk of going for the 08 under current circumstances.

Don hits the nail squarely on the head with 0-6-0Ts and the same applies to 0-6-0 tender engines. This is the legacy of a railway network that was based on free enterprise rather than the state owned monoliths on continental Europe with their standardised fleets. The key figure for us is 1,000 sales and preferably 1,500. The ideal loco is probably a widely used, privately built industrial loco that found its way into ownership by a mainline company or companies. The Jinty 3F also has potential as it had a long life and was very widespread. I'm sure you will all appreciate the commercial risk of going for the 08 under current circumstances.

Thanks for that reply Chris, you insight is interesting. Given the current 08 situation would a class 03 be a viable option?

Out of interest Chris, given that the next (much anticipated!) 0 gauge Ixion loco is going to be a tie- up with another company, are Ixion actively looking for the next loco to do purely under their own banner to follow on from the Fowler?

Unfortunately there aren't many obvious choices in the "holy grail" category of locos that fit into both mainline & industrial settings- the obvious answer being the Austerity of course, already ring fenced by DJ Models (and previously done in brass). Suspect there may be a few options in diesel shunters but to my mind either Dapol, Bachmann Brassworks/ Finescale Brass & DJH have got classes 02/ 03/ 04/ 08 fairly well covered (even if no longer available most people who want one will have one), which just leaves those that mostly had very short or very region- specific BR lives.

The GWR had a few misc. saddle tanks of course, but that's stretching it a bit as a "mainline" loco given that most just shuffled around Swansea docks!

I'd love an MSC "Canal" or "Sweden"(either or or both!), but I'd struggle to justify one over any other industrial design, although I suppose some of the design work of the HC saddle tanks may be suitable, and potentially a small number of detail components- that and I suspect a suitably generic 0-6-0T would look more at home on light railway duties than an 0-4-0st, but then again in the near (ish...) future there will most likely be a multitude of Terriers in that role!   

Although I'll admit that a J72 would be perfect for the Ebor Groups O gauge layout, I think this would be a clever idea. Looking at the LNER info site (sorry this computer refuses to copy URLs, or indeed anything when on this site) they had exceptionally long lives - not least as there was a BR built batch. They also had a considerable range of liveries during their long lives - not least the delightful BR version of the NER one used in York and Newcastle as station pilots.  Apparently they didn't get into industrial use (I would welcome correction on this) but they did get to Ipswich, Wrexham, Bidston and various Scottish sheds. One survives, and they were attractive.

Paul

Chris hello, to allow me to plan my next loco purchase can you say when yours will be announced. I chose to only buy my locos in series one at a time and i have a quick build kit of a jinty from a limited supply on hold.

i wouldn't want to miss out on the next Ixion model.

Regards

Hi,

How about an Andrew Barclay pug - 040 saddle tank loco?  Very popular in Scotland but also England, and I'm sure they got overseas.  Somehow the name pug suits them.  They appeared in a  myriad of liveries and a number are preserved.

Souwest

Has anyone mentioned Neilson Pug's yet?  An industrial design that was bought by two pre-groupng companies so works for HR, CR, LMS, LNER, BR and industrial colours so long as the detail differences can be accomodated (cabs and buffers AFAIK).

Answering my own question at post 427 I found this at post 105 ......

Hopefully, we will ready to make an annoucement early next year. Meanwhile, keep the suggestions coming as we will considering other projects including stuff to pull.

Regards,

Chris Klein

So we should get something definite shortly.

Best

All three of those locomotives have passed across our desk. THe J72 would probably be the most viable, but DJH has offered it RTR for several years albeit at a price ranging from £925 to £1,025.

If Ixion were to produce a J72 for a comparable price to the previous models then I wouldn't class DJH at £1k a model as a competitor!

I had a Mainline J72 in 00 as a kid and would rather like one in 0 gauge, but at the right price (and not at £1k or even nearly £300 for the kit!)

Another potential model is the GWR equivalent, the 2021 pannier or the later 16xx which had the same chassis dimensions which could make three models out of one chassis (if you include the saddle tank version).

The Midland 0-6-0s all had similar chassis dimensions and I'm sure something could be done with the 03/04 diesel shunters which would be suitable for light railways as well as industry after their BR service.

Cheers,

Andrew

Archived