Class 20 DCC Sound

SpuddyMcFuddy

Hi,

I have a modest collection of Class 20's and as people know they were almost always paired up. Is it possible to -perma-link- two together using one sound decoder and a speaker in each? Essentially using the one decoder to power both motors, two speakers etc???

Thanks

• RMweb Premium

Yes, you can pair up and use one decoder, but it may not be happy driving two motors. (This is where someone suggests fitting one with a sound decoder and one with a normal decoder, but getting the two to run well together in both sound on and sound off mode is not a simple job and haven't yet seen anyone do it successfully, but I am willing to be proved wrong)

There's not a huge amount of room inside a 20 for a decent speaker anyway, so my solution was to remove the motor in one loco (Bachy 20's have decent haulage power anyway) and fit a large bass speaker in. The powered loco with decoder has a standard 23mm round in the cab.

post-408-0-28065300-1351458594.jpg

The results are on this dodgy video from nearly 5 years ago. The sound file is Howes on a ESU v3.5 decoder. Other sounds are available!

Cheers,

Mick

I did much the same with my pair of 20s. I left the standard speaker as supplied by Bachmann in the motored unit and ran two wires through two pin plug and socket mini connectors (disguised in the centre headcode disc recess on one locomotive) to a second speaker, this time a bass reflex one, in the dummy unit.

I had the sound reblown by Howes and Bryan was kind enough to provide a twin start on this one for me. Mine is v3.5 as well.

I love this idea guys, thanks a lot.... I shall get a better speaker and give it a whirl :)

This one is a bit deeper and a lot richer sound. you will need to cut off the plastic mounting tabs and it should fit the same. http://www.digitrains.co.uk/ecommerce/search/dss229-hi-bass-speaker-enclosed--wire-leads--rectangular--8ohm--1w--58x15x23mm.aspx

Have a look at Digitrains Class 20 on a Zimo decoder whilst you are there. They cost £72.50 including the sounds. They will put a two engine start on any Zimo decoder if you ask.

Kind regards,

Paul

• RMweb Premium

Newbryford, can you tell me where you got your speaker from and what size it is - it looks like it fits perfectly :)

I think it's one of these:

http://www.dccsupplies.com/shop/product_info.php?products_id=673

IIRC, you have to remove a small piece of metal from the chassis casting, but it certainly doesn't stop you remotoring it at a later date if required.

Cheers,

Mick

Mick's idea is a neat idea...the big thing we like about pairing two up (both individually/conventionally sound fitted) and we have 3 pairs of Howes chipped ones and one pair of Legomanbiffo ones is that you get an authentic racket! The great unexpected benefit was that the locos (despite running identical decoders in all cases) throttle up and drop back down off the turbos as you throttle back, at slightly different times just like a real pair and make an unholy din, just like the real thing. Not the cheapest solution I know but fun! If you can find some one who can mill out the chassis try putting speakers in the battery box area?

Well, using a very similar method of newbryford I have got two twenties paired up. I used the two wires for the speaker, but also two additional -not entirely prototypical- to create additional pick ups. I have to say, the additional speaker is very loud and gives some real deep bass effects. The first time I sounded the horn my son jumped, who was at the bottom of the loft ladder :D

So thanks for the pointers everyone, it works fantastically.... although, the fiddly nature doesn't make the idea of two more pairs an entire joy and I do need to neaten it up a bit, but I'm really pleased :)

• RMweb Gold

on my pair of 20s i took a motor out but have left the standard speaker in place

Image555.jpg

i then fitted a crude looking multi working socket to the noses of the locos and made a removable jumper with micro connectors on the ends

DSCF2796.jpg

prior to tidying up

DSCF3107.jpg

jumper

DSCF3108.jpg

connected up (minus its buffers and coupling bar)

DSCF3109.jpg

being as i run my 20s top and tail on the rhtt train i've also through wired the train so i can put a jumper in the leading 20 and connect it to the wagons and into the rear 20 so both still produce sound, being as they are about 2 ft apart it gives a nice almost stereo sound

i have a howes chip with duel start up in it (3.5 chip)

Why not just have two 20's double headed, you can do this for approx £80 for the sound chip and it saves butchering the second 20. So much better to have two chipped, yes I know there is a cost, but it has to be better than butchering a perfectly good loco to create a dummy one

If you go down the 2nd chip route, you can then split them if you want to and then re double head when necessary.

These are Digitrains class 20's on Zimo sound chips

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-8WZFaKcXM&list=UU75Z063nfWhZmTjULTC3dyg&index=5&feature=plcp

• RMweb Gold

Why not just have two 20's double headed, you can do this for approx £80 for the sound chip and it saves butchering the second 20. So much better to have two chipped, yes I know there is a cost, but it has to be better than butchering a perfectly good loco to create a dummy one

thats what i had originally, a pair of Bachmann lok-sound 20s however the lure of a spare 21 pin chip and speaker was too much so i took the chip out of one loco and had it reblew it to something completly different (i think a 66 iirc), my 20s only pull a couple of flasks or rhtt wagons so haulage capacity isnt an issue

agreed though it does sound so much better as separate sounds, especially with 2 slightly different sounding projects

• 2 weeks later...

Archived