RMweb

• RMweb Gold

It's what the concrete brick was for, but the issue with the cutter means the corners weren't square, so there's not much to be done. I do have a second one that came out well, so this one is sacrificial.

Although... seeing photos of these, If I shim up the underneath to make sure the wheels are square, the lack of really straight lines would be quite prototypical!

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Usual though they go 'hog's backed' but I suppose some must have twisted like yours. Be careful to sort that beading out if you are going to keep it....

Andy G

• RMweb Gold

Just take Chris to the bottom of Steep Hill in Lincoln and challenge him to walk up.  

Visited last year and annoyed the wife by walking up it wih ease.

Nice day out to see Magna Carta.

Back on topic. 

As it's MDF keep a weight on it for a few days and it should take the twist out, it's notorious for bending and twisting depending on how it's stored.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

That's the thing about Lincoln - very literal with their place names. That said, I used to live at Wheelbridge, Havenhouse - there was a bridge with wheels on it there.

Problem is Dave, the MDF was flat, but the cutter was getting a bit free-range on its 90 degree angles. I mentioned to Mike that I didn't expect to check that 90 degrees was just that. It seems that the bar on the x axis had become not quite square. This was the coach that had the small breeze block resting on top of it.

• RMweb Gold

How long was the block on it for?

Usually with MDF if it's mishapen it can be forced into another plane, although thinking about it, it only sticks up about 1-1.5mm which it could spring back to......hmmmmm... I'd be tempted to use it as your test piece but to the finished standard, then when you've done with it put some weight on it and alternate it between a damp/dry enviroment and see if that works.

I've some 6mm mdf in the workshop at present which is cut into 300mm squares and I'm having to keep weight on it overnight until it's fixed in place to stop it moving.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

It almost needs over bending and then straightening again. Maybe a spray with a mist of water and then resetting it would help. But the question now is what will happen to the built up coaches over time?

Andy G

• RMweb Gold

It almost needs over bending and then straightening again. Maybe a spray with a mist of water and then resetting it would help. But the question now is what will happen to the built up coaches over time?

Andy G

I wouldn't spray any water over MDF it will just soak it up like a sponge and expand.

The completed ones will be fine, they are tabbed and glued and will only lose their shape if forced to (hence the block on top)

• RMweb Gold

Ah yes. But I wouldn't use MDF for anything....

Andy G

It's actually a much maligned material, for these it will do the job perfectly well and is not that much different in the thickness Jason's using to card. I use it for the core of buildings sometimes as if treated correctly it will be fine.

It's just not much use as a stepladder or diving board........

• Like 1

As Jason has stated previously, for a while he had problems with the laser cutter not cutting square. A while ago he sent me a set of parts for one of his 6 wheelers to build. Unfortunately these were cut before the problem was identified but with that in mind I went ahead anyway just to see how things went.

Having a central core of 1mm mdf results in a very strong assembly which simplifies building considerably.

This is where I have got to so far:

post-3717-0-72561500-1486989268_thumb.jpg

post-3717-0-63933500-1486989269_thumb.jpg

post-3717-0-31258700-1486989270_thumb.jpg

As Jason has dreaded the photos are at a very cruel enlargement ;-)

All parts were sprayed with Halford's Grey Primer before being assembled and laminated with slightly thinned washable PVA.

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Hi Mike

That gap bottom-left on the midle photo - did the mdf curl at all? I think the top of the side does look like the 90 degree problem that the cutter had. I definitely need to look at the sides and see why they aren't long enough there.

Teak effect applied using my usual technique but to get a slightly darker finish I have used Vandyke Brown oil paint for the graining. I must admit I quite like this combination:

post-3717-0-96562700-1487148005_thumb.jpg

And yes, I did put the panelling on wonky!

post-3717-0-91819300-1487148006_thumb.jpg

post-3717-0-63850100-1487148007_thumb.jpg

post-3717-0-49089300-1487148008_thumb.jpg

Here is an even darker finish over the base Vallejo orange again using the Vandyke Brown:

post-3717-0-22229100-1487148249_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold

Following Mike's fantastic photos, I feel like I'm about to come on stage with a two string banjo, following a song by [insert your favourite music star's name here], but here goes.

The carcass of the 45' composite has been staring at me waiting to be clothed, so I've done something about it and at least put a shirt on it.

post-14192-0-66834400-1487221385_thumb.jpg

post-14192-0-77281100-1487221398_thumb.jpg

Not nearly as tidy as Mike's, but a lot better than I thought I could do.To wring out a bit more from the metaphor as it lies sobbing on the ground utterly spent, only the spectacles and hat to go.

Adding running boards to the bogies will be interesting...

• Like 9

• 8 months later...

Fantastic work! Just found this thread and been scrolling through, your work is very inspiring! Thanks for sharing your G1 chassis on Shapeways, I ordered one the other day, looking at scratch-building a G1 with a rake of D3D coaches.

Keep up the good work!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for sharing your G1 chassis on Shapeways, I ordered one the other day, looking at scratch-building a G1 with a rake of D3D coaches.

Did you just order the Chassis or either of the G1 bodies ?

I've built one and it runs a treat.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/57208-sandy-gn-lnwr-or-bre/page-13

Starts around page 13  for a couple of pages. Let me know if you need anything.

• Like 1

Did you just order the Chassis or either of the G1 bodies ?

I've built one and it runs a treat.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/57208-sandy-gn-lnwr-or-bre/page-13

Starts around page 13  for a couple of pages. Let me know if you need anything.

Thanks Dave! Just the chassis for now, I plan on scratch building the body, although the 3D printed body looks very nice! Thanks for sharing your progress on your G1, will certainly help when I come round to motorising it!

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...