Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

North London 0-6-0T Drawings

Anybody know of a source for these? It's the little 0-6-0T dock tanks as used on the Cromford & High Peak line. I'm trawling through NRM and HMRS but not getting very far - I have a vague recollection of having seen drawings of them in the past somewhere, probably mistaken though!

It does. Side and front elevations only, and the print reproduction conveys that it is drawn in a scale which varies between 6 and 7mm/ft. Seriously. (Many years ago a late friend borrowed my copy of the book to draw up his own model making plan, using photographs to supplement the information absent from the drawing, which is how I know this.)

Well it's a start I guess! Is it a case of the drawing having been 'stretched' or otherwise distorted or is it just drawn plain wrong?

Cannot tell definitely whether the author got the base drawing right; what is evident in my copy is that the scale of the side elevation in particular is 'variable'. This is most likely an error in rendering it from the original drawing into print form. There is a table of wheelbase and a few other key dimensions which will enable checks, and the drawing certainly looks like good photos of the type. (I have Dennis Lovett's book on the NLR, which has a good selection of pictures, in addition to the colour photos in 'The Big Four in Colour'.)

Cannot tell definitely whether the author got the base drawing right; what is evident in my copy is that the scale of the side elevation in particular is 'variable'. This is most likely an error in rendering it from the original drawing into print form. There is a table of wheelbase and a few other key dimensions which will enable checks, and the drawing certainly looks like good photos of the type. (I have Dennis Lovett's book on the NLR, which has a good selection of pictures, in addition to the colour photos in 'The Big Four in Colour'.)

Cheers, I've bought the book so we shall see. it was also mentioned to me earlier today in regard to LNWR locos so I'm sure I'll find a use!

PDH Drawing Services do a drawing for this loco.Drawing number LW-045 NLR 0-6-0T Parks.

Tim

That's a new one on me, bookmarked for future reference!

Hi,

The Elevation in Hambleton's book is pretty accurate and although the End Elevation is to a different scale it is fully dimentioned so you could work from them. Somewhere I have a copy of drawings from the Engineer Magazine of the 1890s completely sectioned and dimentioned along with the pencil drawings I prepared from them to 4mm scale. I made the brass patterns for the GEM kit many years ago and GEM provided me with such drawings and photographs they could find. Ironically I can find the 4-4-0T drawings (it was to be next but we could not agree on a way of dealing with the visible full width mainframes at the front with 00 chassis at the back so the project stalled) but not the 0-6-0t ones. I returned the originals to GEM but I am sure I kept copies, the pencil drawing was mine in any case. If I can find it I will let you know but that was 30+ years and 3 workshops ago.If I can be of any help contact me off group.

best wishes,

Ian

Cheers Gents - the book has arrived and I've started work on transforming the drawing into 3mm scale working cad drawings. So far I've shoehorned (well hardly, there is ample room!) a Mashima 1015 with flywheel as well as 142:1 gearbox into the boiler, driving the rear axle whilst allowing full cab detail and empty side tanks for lots of weight to be added!

I have just noticed that there seems to be 2 types of wheel and one locomotive at least shows both types at the same time! I guess it's time to pick an exact prototype!

• 2 years later...

Anybody know of a source for these? It's the little 0-6-0T dock tanks as used on the Cromford & High Peak line. I'm trawling through NRM and HMRS but not getting very far - I have a vague recollection of having seen drawings of them in the past somewhere, probably mistaken though!

A bit late to this topic, but side and transverse drawings are available on Flickr, of all places:

www.flickr.com/photos/metrailway/8245782886/

www.flickr.com/photos/metrailway/8244715397/

The NRM may have some NLR drawings: Click here

.....I have just noticed that there seems to be 2 types of wheel and one locomotive at least shows both types at the same time! I guess it's time to pick an exact prototype!

The preserved 2650/27505/58850 has Crewe-type "H"-spokes on leading and driving axles, plus ordinary plain spokes on trailing!

I wonder how the OP did for wheels, as there is nothing currently available to match the 4'4" diameter, and AGW produces only two types of wheel for 4'3"....

"North London Railway - A pictorial history" ISBN 0112902731 published by the NRM & HMSO has a two-page spread with sectioned GA's. The drawing ref's are A66 and A68, so perhaps more than has been included are available. If thinking of going down the NRM route then be warned that there can be charges for both searching and subsequent prints, so ask for an estimate first.

There's also a North London Railway Society/Association/something that might be able to source - they usually have an ad in the back of London Railway Record.

Whist it doesn't contain any drawings the Jan-Feb 2000 Locomotives Illustrated 129 - The North London Railway Tank Locomotives - contains a lot of photos and a wealth of data. Should still be available, I bought mine about 6 years ago.

Gareth - you are probably already aware that there is a Peter K kit of the Class 51

There are three drawings of NLR 4-4-0s in the HMRS collection, GA and two cross sections. It looks as though they were originally in The Engineer.

The HMRS drawings just say "4-4-0", not whether it is inside or outside cylindered. There are some very nice drawings of the outside cylinder 4-4-0s in The Engineer which are available for free and I'd rather not buy the HMRS drawings if there's any chance they are the drawing I already have. I can't afford that.

Whist it doesn't contain any drawings the Jan-Feb 2000 Locomotives Illustrated 129 - The North London Railway Tank Locomotives - contains a lot of photos and a wealth of data. Should still be available, I bought mine about 6 years ago.

Gareth - you are probably already aware that there is a Peter K kit of the Class 51

Got the magazine already, it's very good.

I am aware of the etches. I'm also aware of how much trouble it is to get any kits from him and as it doesn't include any castings anyway I thought I wouldn't bother. Hence needing the drawing. Also the not-being-able-to-afford-much excuse works here too.

Can we broaden this topic slightly to 'North London Locomotives'? I'm trying to find a drawing of the inside cylinder 4-4-0 Class 51. I'm told there is a Skinley drawing, but I don't know where to get it or if it's any good.

Replying to my own post, there is a drawing of this class in the March 2nd 1866 issue of The Engineer. Available as a pdf here: http://www.gracesguide.co.uk/images/0/08/Er18660302.pdfPage 10. It's as built without a cab, but it will do for now.

I am aware of the etches. I'm also aware of how much trouble it is to get any kits from him and as it doesn't include any castings anyway I thought I wouldn't bother. Hence needing the drawing. Also the not-being-able-to-afford-much excuse works here too.

Well, I appreciate you are on a budget but £32 seems reasonable to get the basic size and shape. I have built this kit, you will need a brass tube for the boiler and of course the castings plus wheels g/b and motor. You might save a third of the total cost to complete by not buying the etches.......the twin beam compensated chassis is excellent.

Well, I appreciate you are on a budget but £32 seems reasonable to get the basic size and shape. I have built this kit, you will need a brass tube for the boiler and of course the castings .....

The castings - mainly the chimney and dome - are the stumbling block, though - I've been looking through the lists of the "usual suspects", and there's nothing specifically NLR available. Slightly bizarrely, the NLR 0-6-0T kit I picked up recently has two sets of castings in it - one whitemetal, the other cast brass, and the latter appears to be a duplicate of the former! 58850 has a LNWR chimney with a square base, which is not catered for in the kit.

The castings - mainly the chimney and dome - are the stumbling block, though - I've been looking through the lists of the "usual suspects", and there's nothing specifically NLR available. Slightly bizarrely, the NLR 0-6-0T kit I picked up recently has two sets of castings in it - one whitemetal, the other cast brass, and the latter appears to be a duplicate of the former! 58850 has a LNWR chimney with a square base, which is not catered for in the kit.

Post 17 in this thread: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/77233-north-london-railway/is a potential source of castings. I haven't tried to get them yet but I plan to.

Post 17 in this thread: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/77233-north-london-railway/is a potential source of castings. I haven't tried to get them yet but I plan to.

I posted pictures of my two models on post #13 of the above referenced thread. As I recall I used the brass chimney as supplied for the Peter K Class 51 but the GEM 0-6-0 came with the later stove pipe and the original NLR chimneys, both white metal (I think). I used the NL one as the stove pipe looked a bit skinny - I had to pick an engine that 'probably' (based on photos) passed into LMS service still with the original chimney and wheels....

You might want to contact Branchlines to see if they can get the dome and chimney(s) for the 0-6-0 from GEM...the domes on my models look very similar.

Archived