Roco Z21

TBH, It's not whether you like it or not, It's whether it works without issues. If it works without issue then it shows that the 'old app' needs updating to work with the current versions of Android, and as the iOS version of the old app isn't updated either you *may* have exactly the same issues if you move to iOS.

• Agree 1

If I feel "forced" to use the newer App then I will simply look for another system.

I'm beginning to regret selling my Fleischmann Twin Centres now....................

Still like to hear from someone who had made the transistion from Android to IOS.

Got my Ipad when I got the Z21 and have used it with the original app without any problems. I prefer it too - the later version is not as user friendly. The Ipad is about 6 years old and with an older ios so whether the older app would work with a newer ios ???

You can list more than 200 locos - just break them up into different 'layouts'. Br steam early , late, green diesel, blue diesel etc and allocate locos accordingly. Just means you have to repeat the layout setup for each period, but means less locos stored on a page.

TBH Iain I've already spent a lot of time faffing around & feel I've done enough fault finding

I'm "old school" & expect things to work without having to find "fixes" that people on way higher payscales than myself should sort.

In the meantime, Mrs T has just reminded me that I had far more issues with the newer App.

At the end of the day I want to play trains, not computers/I.T./device's.

• RMweb Gold

I use Android Galaxy Tabs and iPhones with the Z21 and it’s usually the more basic processor in the device that causes the lockup.
Before we had all these options I had my entire layout of trains reprogrammed to 3 by someone else using an illegal US DCC radio system because it interfered with my European one on the MTS system so beware falling back on the old tech as it had it weaknesses too without all the extra options ;) 
Once I’ve created a layout file I export it as an email so if there’s a lockup you just reload it from that in seconds. It’s no more time used than switching on the system takes. 

I'm still using the original APP as I couldn't see how to do route setting in the new APP so I have stuck with it.

I'm using an old ipad and that works just fine, although I will have to get a new battery at some point.

I currently have 4 different layouts set up on the 1 Z21 and that works fine with well over 150+ locos.

My one request would be for the multimaus memory to be increased to allow more than 100 locos to be stored in it (I know I can call them up by using their address rather than by name).

Thanks,

Neil

• Like 1

Sam, I use both iPad and android sometimes at the same time and don’t have any problems, I am still using the original app as I don’t like the new ones, tried but the colours are all wrong for my liking. The android phone cost £35 and the iPad £65 second hand with basic functionality but does all that I need, the phone has no SIM cards and just basic memory but has 4 layout and over 50 locos. The iPad has two layouts and I think 45 locos divided into steam and diesel all with sound, I still have some locos that I don’t think I want to put sounds in as I doubt that I would use it.

I have had ROCO multi mouse, Gaugemaster P2 with wireless, Hornby on computer (N) and the Z21, all mainly O gauge but I have test track 13ft long with N, OO & O gauges in my workshop and can use the Hornby & Gaugemaster units on all tracks plus programming. Unusual for any problems but I do sometimes and RMWEB usually sorts them out.

regards mike 

Sam  I had problems with Samsung Tablet pads getting the programme has stopped, [about 5 yeas ago] I purchased a couple of I Pads off ebay and have had no problems, I have 2 layouts and have had no problems with both the "old" and "new" programmes , I find the new Roco version very good especially if I purchase a Roco  Sound Model I find the section where you can just download the item without having to go through the tedious listing of 28 functions.

Regards John

• RMweb Gold

Good evening folk,

I have just read through this topic from start to finish looking for an answer for a friend. 

Is it possible to connect a pc to a Z21 to use the programming output in connection with JMRI Decoder Pro and if so what is required to achieve it.

Thanks.

Geoff

Yes, that is what a Z21 is designed to do.

if you look in the JMRI documentation you will find all the details you need to connect JMRI to the Z21.

the default IP address from the Z21 is 192.168.0.111 and you need the PC to be on the same network.

• RMweb Gold

Thank you Ian.

I perhaps didn't phrase my question accurately. I am familiar with JMRI using it with my Digitrax system which has a physical connection via a Locobuffer with a usb to serial adapter cable. Your reply suggests to me that the Z21 will work with JMRI wirelessly for programming. Have I understood that correctly?

Regards.

Geoff

Yes, a wireless connection is no different to a wired connection.

The entire JMRI suite including Decoder Pro works perfectly with a Z21 irrespective of whether it is connected via WiFi or wire - the program doesn’t give a monkeys how it is connected, just that it is connected :)

• 3 months later...
On 27/10/2021 at 11:19, SamThomas said:

If I feel "forced" to use the newer App then I will simply look for another system.

I'm beginning to regret selling my Fleischmann Twin Centres now....................

Still like to hear from someone who had made the transistion from Android to IOS.

Which App did you use with your Twin Centre then?

14 hours ago, DaveArkley said:

Which App did you use with your Twin Centre then?

The Twin Centres are self contained & just require a power supply & connections to the track.

The nearist you can get thesedays is the Uhlenbrook "Basic" which does the same except you cannot use the old Fleischmann.

Since my last post on the subject I've replaced the tablet & (sort of) got used to the later Z21 app, but still don't like the colours & graphics much.

• 1 month later...
19 minutes ago, WIMorrison said:

Works perfectly for me

Probably does, but I'm always a bit wary of new releases and upgrades.  Perhaps I've been using Microsoft for too long, but I tend to work on the basis of if it ain't broke, don't fix it.  As is nearly always the case, I don't see anything in those changes that affects me.  Always good to see they've fixed some bugs, but they are issues that weren't bothering me.

My laptop is Windows 11 compatible but I'm still on W10 because all I can see are some cosmetic changes in how it looks.

I seem to recall that being the operating system to end new operating systems, but sure enough, there's a new look version.

Having said thta, people who've made the changes seem to be saying no problem, yet I've not heard much cheeering about how wonderful the latest incarnation is either.

3 hours ago, Michael Hodgson said:

Probably does, but I'm always a bit wary of new releases and upgrades.  Perhaps I've been using Microsoft for too long

My laptop is Windows 11 compatible but I'm still on W10 because all I can see are some cosmetic changes in how it looks.

I seem to recall that being the operating system to end new operating systems, but sure enough, there's a new look version.

Having said thta, people who've made the changes seem to be saying no problem, yet I've not heard much cheeering about how wonderful the latest incarnation is either.

Then let me cheer for it. The 'new look' is just the tip of the iceberg, there have been some real changes under the covers which are a vast improvement over Windows 10. And just like Windows 10 it's as solid as a rock.

If you have no need for software improvements then I agree don't update software, Windows or Z21 firmware. I have read, in detail, what  the changes in both are and for me they are absolutely worth upgrading.

Cheers

Dave

• Agree 1