Railfreight red stripe Class 58's on NON-MGR traffic?

Norm81

I'm just wondering if Class 58's were exclusively used on MGR workings or if they were also used on other traffic?

Yes I'm trying to justify buying a Heljan one but there's no way I can have (or even see me having in the future) a layout big enough for a long rake of HAA's...

Thanks in advance :)

They worked a fair few trains into and out of Washwood Heath, I've seen photos showing them workiing short rakes of BDAs loaded with pipe from the factories nearby. They also weren't unknown on freightliners out of the Dudley terminal before it shut down.

• RMweb Premium

During the Miners Strike, when the 58s were short of work, they were diagrammed on Toton - Ashburys (Manchester) Speedlink workings, which were often formed of just a few air-braked wagons.

I always used to time my visits to my mate at New Mills Central SB to watch this go by with a 58. It gave me an excuse to run a 58 with a short train on my original "Bryford Road".

Cheers,

Mick

They worked a fair few trains into and out of Washwood Heath, I've seen photos showing them workiing short rakes of BDAs loaded with pipe from the factories nearby. They also weren't unknown on freightliners out of the Dudley terminal before it shut down.

Indeed. The 58 was a useful loco for 4S50 Dudley-Glasgow and 4M51 Glasgow-Dudley, for the short haul in and out of Bescot. In fact the final 4S50 was worked by 58030 complete with wreath on the front on 29th September 1986. Prior to that on 8th May 1984 58002 was used to haul 86245 up to Dudley Freightliner terminal to be named "Dudley Castle".

Source - The Railways of Dudley by Ned Williams

18th and 19th February 1989 saw 58004 used on a weekend ballast job returning a ballast cleaner and ten sealions to Bescot over the up Cannock line.

Source - photo in A Century of Railways around Birmingham and West Midlands Vol 3 by John Boynton

During the miners strike the class 58s were used on anything airbraked, even including the Donnington tripper from Bescot. Also a very useful loco for weekend dragging of passenger trains between Birmingham and Nuneaton, which I believe the entire class of 50 locos have worked over the years. Personal experience of an "emergency drag" one Sunday afternoon due to an possession overrun in the Penkridge area. Bescot turned off a class 58 light into New St to work an inter regional train forward from Birmingham to Liverpool Lime St via Cannock, Crewe and Weaver Jn, returning light from Lime St to Bescot.

No,you don't need 36 MGRs !!!!!!!

Thanks for all the replies.

The miners strike was 1984-85 I think (if so, i'd have been 4!)? Don't suppose anyone knows of any 58's getting "up north", I think Blyth power station coal etc were all usually 56 hauled.

I have found a few pictures of 58s on other work,

Here is the Ashburys - Toton Speedlink working mentioned earlier,

to my mind this is the best bet for a shorter train,

post-7081-0-37709900-1352636251_thumb.jpg

58011 approaches Guide Bridge en-route to Toton, 26/9/84

58s on freightliners have been mentioned, though if you are tight for space

even a train formed of only a 5 set will take up a lot of room,

post-7081-0-02493200-1352636278_thumb.jpg

58025 on a southbound working, with 3 x 5 sets, approaches Banbury, 8/7/85

And 58025 seen again later the same day:-

post-7081-0-44130700-1352636328_thumb.jpg

58025 heading northwards at Oxford Hinksey with empty cartics, 8/7/85

Finally a shot of a 58 on tanks:-

post-7081-0-02438300-1352636356_thumb.jpg

58013 heading south at Willington with a train of TTAs, 17/6/86

cheers

edit to add a date

Also from 1985, Chinley, with a right mixed bag - limestone? covered hopper, 3xHAA with coal, ordinary oil (?) tank then a bunch of what look like chemical tanks. [edit: might be that Ashburys-Toton mentioned earlier in the thread]

post-6971-0-32173000-1352637185.jpg

And 1985, Barrow-upon-Soar, the Ratcliffe flyash

post-6971-0-24555300-1352637364.jpg

• RMweb Premium

I would have thought that when first introducded, the 58s could be 'borrowed' or used for other traffic than coal when demand droped off. IIRC Its only when Its only when railfreight split itself in the trainload sub-sectors and each sector was given dedicated motive power that the 58s found themselves working exclusivley coal traffic.

Thanks for all the replies.

The miners strike was 1984-85 I think (if so, i'd have been 4!)? Don't suppose anyone knows of any 58's getting "up north", I think Blyth power station coal etc were all usually 56 hauled.

I can't think of any revenue-earning workings, but they might have worked up on one of the Doncaster test trains in the early days. These used to run across both King Edward and High Level bridges, to avoid having to run round- I remember seeing things like ex-works Class 50s on this turn. The Blyth coal, and other coal turns in the Tyneside/Wearside area went over to 56s around the time of the miners' strike; I think the last ten to fifteen of the class went new to Gateshead.

Just one point to consider - certainly early in their career , the 58s sphere of operation was limited , based on the depots whose drivers were trained on the type. I believe originally , only Toton , Saltley and Bescot men were , so it's unlikely that one would appear in the North East (without a route conductor driver). That said , one did get to Plymouth dragging a failed HST , so there is a little bit of modellers license to get one somewhere unusual.

Just one point to consider - certainly early in their career , the 58s sphere of operation was limited , based on the depots whose drivers were trained on the type. I believe originally , only Toton , Saltley and Bescot men were , so it's unlikely that one would appear in the North East (without a route conductor driver). That said , one did get to Plymouth dragging a failed HST , so there is a little bit of modellers license to get one somewhere unusual.

Bloody Saltley Seagulls got everywhere Supaned.

Archived