Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Detail bits we could manage without

Sprung buffers - if you are going to fit proper screw couplings you might just as well be doing the buffers at the same time. And if you're not using screw or similar couplings why do you need sprung buffers?

Especially as the sprung buffers Hornby use tend not to be very realistic, and need replacing with Gibson ones.

My pet hates:

1. Brake loops on the latest Bachmann wagon - they are a pain if you want to replace the wheels.

2. The underframe end steps on Hornby Maunsells - well overscale and I've never seen one assembled properly.

• RMweb Gold

A huge amount of the aftermarket detailing parts that, when fitted, make the loco look worse than when it was taken out of the box.

As I said in this thread http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/63577-limby-class-87-windows/

So often it seems that there is this mantra that any etch must be better than the moulding simply because it's an etch whereas often the fitting of the etch makes the model look worse than if it had been left untouched. Same thing applies to a lot of the replacement grills that are available for models. Unless the difference made is going to be signifcantly better or makes it into a different type then don't bother.

Andi

Guest jim s-w

A huge amount of the aftermarket detailing parts that, when fitted, make the loco look worse than when it was taken out of the box.

Andi

Absolutely - happily people like Shawplan have made it worth the effort. Sadly there are still cottage industries producing a similar standard to what we had in the 90s despite RTR moving on since then

Cheers

Jim

Most cab interior detail. Only detail that which can be readily seen while the thing is in motion would suit me.

...if you're not using screw or similar couplings why do you need sprung buffers?

I would make the counter suggestion that matters have moved on from the days that only three link / screw couplers needed sprung buffers. Positioning RTR couplers for buffering up is now a snap and works very well on non-gangwayed coaches; plus the ability to correctly retract buffers when using knuckle couplers on gangwayed coaches. I would like all wagon buffers sprung on fitted wagons at least so that these could be run buffered up too. One of the biggest improvements to operational appearance now available in combination with the refined loco operation standard from DCC, is the sight of a passenger train moving as a single unit, rather than in a manner appropriate only to a loose coupled freight.

agreed on sprung buffers. whilst not a must have, they are desirable for near prototypical operation and I support the suggestion that RTR fitted wagons should have them. Perhaps then unrealistic sprung drawhooks can be done away with. Im sure its only a matter of time.........

Ive never been much of a fan of etched grilles. I know they might be an improvement over the moulded grilles on older RTR but these days with modern tooling personally I dont really see a need to hack a model to fit them as the mouldings are so much better now. I can perhaps see the desire where a grille is supposed to be easily seen through.

Those tiny delicate cab roof or nose aerials (diesels) - they are so vunerable to breaking off no matter how carefully you think youve handled your models. I could really live without these.......I might replace mine with black decoder wire as they break off.

• RMweb Gold

The opening cab doors on Hornby diesels and the sand pipes on the Hornby 60. The only use the doors get is a quick poke when the loco is taken out of the box for the first time and the sand pipes either drag along the rail top or scrape the wheels.

• RMweb Premium

I will second the opening cab doors, only the Class 08/09 really needs them. I will also throw in (in the hope they conversely throw away) the 'working' louvres on the sides of their Class 50.

Am I also the only person who really does not like the cab lighting that is now the seemingly normal feature on new diesels? I know a few have switches to turn it off and in DCC it can be got rid of but on vanilla DC like me, there is not a lot I can do about it on non switch fitted models except rip the LED out.

• RMweb Premium

Brake Actuation levers under the chassis of steam loc models. They're only ever visible if the loco derails and ends up on its side/ upside down, plus they always seem to conceal a body fixing screw. Grrr.

On the plus side, they seem adept at popping out of their locations and lying around un noticed in the 4 foot anyway.

Regards,

John

Working fans on Hornby's diesels. They turn only when the motor is running, speed up and down with the loco, and change direction when the loco does, Plus they put unnecessary strain on the motor.

I snip the fan belt on mine when I chip them and find it very satisfying.

...they seem adept at popping out of their locations and lying around un noticed in the 4 foot ...

Speaking of which, in today's operating session there was a collision between the beer train to Cambridge and a fast freight, caused by a coach dynamo falling foul of the crossing on some fast line points. The V2 hauling the freight was only partially derailed and was thus able to distribute the 50 wagons following very liberally into the path of the oncoming passenger train. I expect the RI report to reflect favourably on the effectiveness of the big red 'all stop' button in averting the worst effects of the incident, while observing that better glue used in a country far away and of which we know little might have prevented the incident altogether.

Archived