Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

• RMweb Gold

Not competent to comment on accuracy - although I did see DoG at the Marylebone exhibition in the early '60s - but the side view, albeit of the superior version, has a great deal of presence. Had this been available a couple of months ago, I suspect it might have leapt into an awful lot of Christmas stockings, while January penury may now limit sales a little. Hornby's supply problems really are hurting.

The 'Duke' has a compact overall look about it, far better than many a kitbuilt model i painted. I am reminded this is a RTR model more typical of current Hornby thinking than Bachmann and so I accept that it is a bit of a miss-match in places produced down to a price. I personally liked it with its first tender so it looks like a Tender body would have to be built. Anyone know where a body-only could be obtained? I presume the tender has the usual electrical pick ups? It it is not 'wired' to the loco then I suppose I could fit a Bachmann Tender....

Edited by coachmann

• RMweb Gold

The 'Duke' has a compact overall look about it, far better than many a kitbuilt model i painted. I am reminded this is a RTR model more typical of current Hornby thinking than Bachmann and so I accept that it is a bit of a miss-match in places produced down to a price. I personally liked it with its first tender so it looks like a Tender body would have to be built. Anyone know where a body-only could be obtained? I presume the tender has the usual electrical pick ups? It it is not 'wired' to the loco then I suppose I could fit a Bachmann Tender....

I don't think the Duke has tender pickups .... Chris at Golden Arrow does bothe a BR1B/C/D/E as well as the later unique 1J tender bodies :)

http://www.goldenarrow.me.uk/products.htm#standard

As such then, does this tender have the larger rear cut-out (which it had from new) or has it been modified? Help!  

The tender on the preserved 71000 has been very significantly changed from either the BR1E or BR1J configurations that 71000 ran with under BR. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:71000_DUKE_OF_GLOUCESTER_East_Lancashire_Railway.jpg

On the preserved loco there is an addtional sqaure extension to the water tank at the rear hidden by the BR1J style sides to give 5000gal capacity.

Edited by asmay2002

• RMweb Gold

Nope. pick up on Loco only (on the driving wheels only as far as I can see on mine.) A real step back if you ask me.

Wikipedia have an excellent picture of the Duke as she was in 2009: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/70/71000_DUKE_OF_GLOUCESTER_East_Lancashire_Railway.jpg

The handrails are indeed polished.  The cabside numbers are raised though.  Really thought the view of the tender might be helpful in view of the discussion.

Edited by Steffi_C

• RMweb Gold

Of course that photo shows it in 2009 condition when it had the polished brass cabside numbers, It now carries conventional painted versions. Nice pic though and one I used when building my Golden Arrow version as featured in June 2012 Hornby mag

post-6717-0-79286600-1389265690_thumb.jpg

Mine's with a 1J tender :)

EDIT: oops should have read the post above properly :lol:

Edited by RedgateModels
  • Like 5

I've just received the two Dukes of Gloucester......

Any comments, please........

attachicon.gifHornby DoGs inc R3168 02B.jpg

....It looks as if the smokebox front protrudes a twitch too far forward but I'm not sure..

It does. The smokebox door ring should be flush with the top of the footplate drop. It should have a look similar to the face of a Lancastrian knight wearing a sallet (visor up) and bevor.

It looks like Hornby forgot to make the smokebox recessed when they were producing tooling samples. It is a noticeable error, and would require careful work with a saw to remove the smokebox ring and door, and then cut back the smokebox barrel by up to 1mm before refitting the ring. It's a shame, given they spent so much money on the tooling. Why spend so much money to get it wrong?

The DJH model is still superior in this respect.

I'd like to get hold of the preserved "extended" tender on its own - it would go well behind the DJH model, to portray the preserved engine as she is now.

• RMweb Gold

I have to disagree with you slightly on that Ivan, the smokebox ring should have a SMALL overhang, I have numerous photos of the front end of the real thing showing the overhang. Hornby overdone it though and it does jar the eye when you start looking at it :lol:

I have to disagree with you slightly on that Ivan, the smokebox ring should have a SMALL overhang, I have numerous photos of the front end of the real thing showing the overhang...

We must be looking at different photos of the same thing. There is no noticeable overhang in the ones I've seen.

Many thanks for the information gentlemen. It means writing the review should result in greater accuracy.

It's quite apparent now that the Hornby model represents the loco in current preserved condition (without the raised numerals). Looking at it, extra pipes are included for fixing to the front bufferbeam. I'm told that Hornby is to do the BR version but which tender it'll have I don't know - unlikely to be the unique 1J? 

Years ago I built a DJH example for a friend/customer and I took pictures but where the negatives are I don't now know. An account was written up for the MRJ, but never published. I cannot remember which tender was supplied but it might have been the 1J. My memory is of a superb kit, to which I added all John Brighton's Steamline cast and turned fittings. It's my recollection that the smokebox front ring protruded by only the tiniest amount, not as much as Hornby's.

There are no tender pick-ups but both locos run incredibly well. As for the length of the smokebox cross rail, I'll have to look at more pictures. 

Since the models are now on sale, I imagine that by the review appears (in the March BRM) they'll have sold out, or they should do.

Speaking of the March issue of BRM, I've been asked to compile a report on how to achieve a representative stud of ER express motive power.

Here are one or two tasters. The pictures will tell you the origins. I made three and Alan Hammett made one. There are loads more..............

post-18225-0-94223600-1389288564_thumb.jpg

post-18225-0-00792600-1389288572_thumb.jpg

post-18225-0-68097600-1389288584_thumb.jpg

post-18225-0-38755100-1389288595_thumb.jpg

• Like 18

Tony Wrights photo shows DOG with a return crank to the gearbox....

post-6680-0-05488300-1389292136.jpg

This crank is not on images used by Hattons to show the forthcoming 1960 version of the Duke, plus the Tender in that same image is neither of the two Tenders in use during the steam-era. The confusion that Hornby created is not helping potential purchasers one bit when it leads to, "What can we actually expect to find on each variant?..."

Front end shot of sluightly overhanging smokebox on this thread....

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/67147-seven-models-o-gauge-duke-of-gloucester/page-9

Edited by coachmann

Speaking of the March issue of BRM, I've been asked to compile a report on how to achieve a representative stud of ER express motive power.

Here are one or two tasters. The pictures will tell you the origins. I made three and Alan Hammett made one. There are loads more..............

attachicon.gifA2 1 60510 Nu-Cast.jpg

attachicon.gifA3 60104 DJH.jpg

Good evening Tony

Great locomotives, may I ask who kit is the A2/1 and was it one of the locomotives built by yourself.

Really looking forward to seeing your article in The March addition of BRM.

Regards

David

attachicon.gifV2 60800 Crownline.jpg

attachicon.gifV2 60905 Nu-Cast.jpg

Good evening Tony

Great locomotives, may I ask who kit is the A2/1 and was it one of the locomotives built by yourself.

Really looking forward to seeing your article in The March addition of BRM.

Regards

David

David,

The A2/1 was built by me from a Nu-cast kit on a scratch-built chassis. Ian Rathbone painted it. 

Allan Hammett built the A3 and painted it; Tony Geary did the weathering.

I built both the V2s; Ian Rathbone painted 60800 and I painted 60905, which also has a scratch-built chassis - I chucked the cast-metal original into an old saucepan and melted it down (along with lots of other margarine metal scrap) into ingots for ballast.

David,

The A2/1 was built by me from a Nu-cast kit on a scratch-built chassis. Ian Rathbone painted it. 

Allan Hammett built the A3 and painted it; Tony Geary did the weathering.

I built both the V2s; Ian Rathbone painted 60800 and I painted 60905, which also has a scratch-built chassis - I chucked the cast-metal original into an old saucepan and melted it down (along with lots of other margarine metal scrap) into ingots for ballast.

Thank you Tony

Regards

David

Many thanks for the information gentlemen. It means writing the review should result in greater accuracy.

It's quite apparent now that the Hornby model represents the loco in current preserved condition (without the raised numerals). Looking at it, extra pipes are included for fixing to the front bufferbeam. I'm told that Hornby is to do the BR version but which tender it'll have I don't know - unlikely to be the unique 1J? 

Years ago I built a DJH example for a friend/customer and I took pictures but where the negatives are I don't now know. An account was written up for the MRJ, but never published. I cannot remember which tender was supplied but it might have been the 1J. My memory is of a superb kit, to which I added all John Brighton's Steamline cast and turned fittings. It's my recollection that the smokebox front ring protruded by only the tiniest amount, not as much as Hornby's.

There are no tender pick-ups but both locos run incredibly well. As for the length of the smokebox cross rail, I'll have to look at more pictures. 

Since the models are now on sale, I imagine that by the review appears (in the March BRM) they'll have sold out, or they should do.

To my eyes the overhang of the smokebox ring is minor compared to those bosses on the inside of the deflectors for handrails on the main range version, but we all have our pet niggles. 

I'm pleased that your versions run well, as there are doubts about the one-piece coupling rods expressed in the Duke thread in the Hornby section, for smooth running on curves of type 2 or 3. Apart from the usual doubts about assembly quality.