Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

In this particular case is their a "decent" kit of the J11 as a altenative anyway ,I cant think of a current available one?

The J11 has weathered up nicely . Happy new year TW and all on here.

Mick,

There used to be a Bec kit (though it's probably only found on second-hand stalls these days), then there's Little Engines (both J11 and J11/3) if you can get them and finally (I think), Alan Gibson.

All the best to you as well.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Many thanks to you Tom, to Phil and all the rest for the good wishes, which I sincerely reciprocate.

It is my pleasure to help wherever I can, particularly where someone is prepared to have a go themselves. This hobby is about creativity, and although the work of the professionals is to be admired and used as inspiration, I must say I derive the much greater satisfaction from seeing an 'ordinary' modeller's work - stuff like the models of Tom, and Alan and Jerry posted recently (though the latter might well be classed as 'extraordinary'). Without people developing skills of their own, I don't see a really 'constructive' future for the hobby. Whether there has been a decline in the overall skill-base, I'm not sure (perhaps I'm too old and reactionary) but as fewer and fewer kits seem to be built (at least it seems that way to me) and greater dependence is placed on RTR stuff (here we go again), then is this the inevitable way forward? 

Speaking of kits, and the lessening need for them (by the way, Jol Wilkinson, I'm 100% behind you in your imploring of folk to build kits and not bleat about things not being available RTR, or that they don't have the skills/resources - what happened to the notion of a meritocracy, and why should folk demand equality all the time?), and showing my hypocrisy once more, I've included pictures of my 'fiddlings over the holiday. I've already mentioned the need no longer to build a J11 kit because of Bachmann's forthcoming little wonder, and here's the reason. Doing my best, I doubt if I could get as good a model as this out of a kit (other than the chimney being slightly out of plumb - I pushed at it, but an ominous cracking sound occurred, so I left it). All I've done is renumber it (only one digit needing changing), add a crew, dispense with the 'nasty' DCC in the tender, add the tools and weather it. I admit, the crew is a little blobby (made worse by my unforgiving photography) but without them it's not right.

Hi Tony and All

I did not bleat about stuff not being available, no one would make the diesel classes I wanted, so I was told (repeatedly). I got out the plastic card and made my own, Baby Delitc (4 finished 6 under construction), BTH type1 (8 for me +4 for other people), North British Type 1 (4 for me + one other), 3 Claytons , a English Electric Type 4 (after the demise of the Joueff one), a pair of Co-Bos, Kestrel, Falcon , Lion, Hawk (10800), 10001, 10203, and various shunters (includes two 05s). Converted Lima class 33s to both versions of the BRCW type 2, and a Slim Jim, the Hornby 25 into all varieties of Sulzer Bo-Bos, Tri-ang 37s in to more Baby Deltics and a EE type 4, and a Baby Deltic from a Lima 40. The Hornby 21/29 model makes into both classes easily, and it is/was a good base for Baby Warships and Big Warships.

Still in workshops are a pair of English Electric type 1s, a Brush type 4, GT3, and a gaggle of NBL 0-4-0 shunters.

I have even made models of stuff available RTR, an English Electric Type 3 (with a second in early stages of construction) and a Brush type 2, it is an awkward thing to make. Scraped before being finished owing to my slow pace, and Bachmann not being so slow, a 55, 24/0 and 25/3. A third Co-Bo was scraped before being finished on a stock downsizing exercise, along with a class 83 and two SR "Hornbys". Nearly finished 84 and 85 were donated to some mates in the same action. Scraped after being badly damaged before completion Clayton DPH1.

Apart from the shunters, the electric locos, 10800, GT3 and DPH1 all the others have or will be made RTR.

I still would like to know who said "No one would make all these diesels"......because they told me big porkie pie.

Try making a kit or better still have a go at making your own, you will never know 20 to 30 years after you have made it Mr RTR Manufacturer will make one. You will have 2 of them and one of these you would have enjoyed making and then running for 20 to 30 years. :D

• Like 3

Well I wasn't going to get a Bachmann J11 but having seen Tony's pictures I can see a 3rd coming along to go with my two Little Engines kits.  I suspect I have cabbed more J11s although B1s would be close behind, then any other loco since they were the most common loco on the Grimsby Louth daily pick-up

post-4861-0-60846100-1388524404.jpg

• Like 9

Well I wasn't going to get a Bachmann J11 but having seen Tony's pictures I can see a 3rd coming along to go with my two Little Engines kits.  I suspect I have cabbed more J11s although B1s would be close behind, then any other loco since they were the most common loco on the Grimsby Louth daily pick-up

My compliments on a very nice loco. I see you've got the correct-sized central roof rib for this Vulcan-built loco - the Bachmann one I illustrated has the low one, correct for the first Neilson-built ones. You've also placed your cabside numerals slightly higher up, a feature of some J11s. 

It's good to see so many individually-made models - please keep them coming.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Now there is inspiration for 2014; I just love that 4th shot 'up the embankment'. Last two are neat too.

I have a SR Utility Van (as seen in this set of vans/wagons) and a few weeks back I was going to drop some EM wheels in. No chance as it has such a neat underframe set up that it will need considerable surgery.

Does this mean I need to get on with an OO layout?

P

Quote"That said, what 'youngsters' like Tom Foster are doing is surely 'modelling' of the highest calibre - and he's now started making locos." Quote.

Tony, I sent Tom a PM telling him what a lucky lad he had been being shown by a master the correct way to go about kit building.I did not want to embarress  you in the public forum. However this was an object lesson in encouraging younger modellers to become the masters of the future. Well done Tony and I trust you,  Mo and the boys have a Good 2014.

Regards,Derek.

Shucks, I wasn't even aware the J11 was available. Where've I been? It will be a darn sight more useful working a two coach up from Guide Bridge. That J11 looks smashing Tony now it's been weathered.

Happy New Year... And here's to more Wright writes in 2014.....

Happy New Year to you and yours as well Larry.

And, please keep on posting examples of your professional work for the inspiration of others, where you can comment on how you achieve such superb results first-hand. The greatest credit should always be given to those who actually make things/adapt things/modify things, whether they be the most experienced or just the raw beginners. What you achieve can be a spur to those just beginning making carriages - It has been to me in the past.

As for the J11's availability, the one you see in the pictures is the one I've reviewed for the next issue of BRM, to be published in a fortnight. Since examples are sent out to the magazines first (usually before they're available in the shops), the J11 might nor yet be universally available. Since the dry-brush weathering techniques I employed (which anybody can do) were covered in the recent piece in BRM on tweaking the Bachmann 4Fs, I decided to post the results on this site, there being no need to reiterate them in the magazine. So, in a manner of speaking, I've jumped the gun a bit, but thanks for the kind comments. 

Now there is inspiration for 2014; I just love that 4th shot 'up the embankment'. Last two are neat too.

I have a SR Utility Van (as seen in this set of vans/wagons) and a few weeks back I was going to drop some EM wheels in. No chance as it has such a neat underframe set up that it will need considerable surgery.

Does this mean I need to get on with an OO layout?

P

Phil,

Thanks for the kind words.

One thing I omitted in the J11's descriptions was any comments about the stock. Credit for that is down to Rob Davey (Herbert Hopkins) who built and weathered the second vehicle in the train and also weathered the SR van. I weathered some of the rest. It was remiss of me not giving credit where it should have been given, but I've always been very fortunate in my model railway building in having the help and support of many gifted friends. It's always been team-work where each has contributed his/her expertise to a project, all free of charge (with the exception of Norman Solomon's peerless trackwork - though part of this was in the making of a DVD - and Ian Rathbone's painting of some of my locos). Professionals of the highest calibre more than earn their stipends. However, that said, it's because the majority of the projects I've been involved with (Fordley Park, Moretonhampstead, Leighford, Stoke Summit, Charwelton and now Little Bytham) have all been built by a group of self-reliant individuals that I think they've been 'successful'. Individuals who make/made things for themselves, which is what I keep on beating my drum about. 

With the likes of Tom Foster embarking on his own modelling and his being involved (stock-wise) in Graham Nicholas's epic recreation of Grantham (and the examples of lots of others making things), the future of the hobby looks bright.

Edited by Tony Wright
  • Like 3

Quote"That said, what 'youngsters' like Tom Foster are doing is surely 'modelling' of the highest calibre - and he's now started making locos." Quote.

Tony, I sent Tom a PM telling him what a lucky lad he had been being shown by a master the correct way to go about kit building.I did not want to embarress  you in the public forum. However this was an object lesson in encouraging younger modellers to become the masters of the future. Well done Tony and I trust you,  Mo and the boys have a Good 2014.

Regards,Derek.

Kind words indeed Derek, but the praise is due for a guy prepared to have a go.

With the likes of Tom Foster embarking on his own modelling and his being involved (stock-wise) in Graham Nicholas's epic recreation of Grantham (and the examples of lots of others making things), the future of the hobby looks bright.

That is very kind of you Tony, but I've certainly got a long way to go.

I've just finished my latest weathered loco, 4486 'Merlin' which will hopefully play a part in my rather large project I'm planning to take shape over the next 5-10 years.

Merlin can be found here.

Best Wishes

• Like 1

I haven't been too vocal in this thread but read all the postings and must say a big thanks to all who contribute. I was a railway modeller long before joining RMweb, but it is the fine models produced by you all that have been truly inspirational, and are one of the main reasons that my collection of locomotives and rolling stock does not now include a single item that is straight out of the box. If only I could find a Farish 2P chassis or donor loco (anyone?) my next project would have to by a BHE D16/3.

Best wishes for 2014 to you all, young and experienced, thank you, and keep the inspiration coming.

• Like 6

Happy New Year to one and all.

The opportunity to open up another angle in the debate about what counts as "real" modelling provides me with a half baked excuse to post some images of some recent work of my own on here. A few years ago BRM carried an article showing how I had cut-and-shut some old Margate "Gresley" coaches to make more authentic models of coaches corresponding to true coach diagrams. I recently had a go at rearranging some more spare bodies for such coaches in order to create some models that would satisfy my own desire for more variety at low cost, and which would also provide models to bolster the fleet for "Grantham" when it appears at Barrow Hill in February. There's plenty of room for argument about the results (shown in the following pictures still wearing only undercoats as opposed to grained, varnished, lined teak finish, which WILL follow) since none of the converted coaches corresponds to an actual coach diagram! They are however the result of some actual "making" of models, including production of clerestory roofs, ends with blanked-in windows, timber duckets, Fox bogies and LNER style battery boxes as home-made resin castings. Irrespective of the lack of "authenticity" I have also taken trouble to try to give all of the coaches a convincing flavour of GN pre-group style by other means, such as addition of top-lights / fan-lights to windows and doors, provision of turnbuckle trussing, enigmatic arrangement of doors and windows on the SFO, and gas light fittings on a couple of the coaches. Mercifully, the fact that the GN did actually build some coaches on 57 foot underframes (totally wrong for the LNER coaches that these Hornby models originally purported to be) did save me from feeling the need to do even more work to alter lengths. The resultant brake-end coaches are too wide for GN examples, but I wasn't about to start cutting everything in half to reduce widths!

Let the debate commence.....

post-3445-0-78620900-1388614229_thumb.jpg

Howlden style BFK, modernised with electric light and Gresley bogies

post-3445-0-22390700-1388613869_thumb.jpg

I left the large windows alone on this one as some Doncaster designs of the era had these, the roof, end and ducket changes already convey the GN character, and it's a time consuming job to add lots of extra glazing bars to window apertures!

Howlden style SFO, modernised with electric light and Gresley bogies

post-3445-0-42758800-1388613939_thumb.jpg

Howlden style CK, retaining gas lighting and Fox bogies

post-3445-0-38432600-1388613982_thumb.jpg

Early Gresley BTK, retaining gas lighting and Fox bogies

post-3445-0-16313300-1388614032_thumb.jpg

This pair will also be added to the fleet for Barrow Hill. A Chivers BY and a quickly serviced / repaired D & S 6 wheeler that I picked up in very imperfect built-up condition. It really needs a lot more work at some stage - a total rebuild wouldn't go amiss, but it is needed too soon for that to be done at this stage.

post-3445-0-31936500-1388614498_thumb.jpg

Edited by gr.king
  • Like 17

Mr. King.

I would have to be scurrying for my reference books to tell you that the coaches do not comply with any prototype diagrams. Does it matter? I suppose that depends on your own point of view.

So, do they look right.....yes

Have you made a model.....yes

Are they nicely modelled.....yes

Do you have a unique model.....yes

Of course, these are my own opinions and others may disagree. Most modelling is a matter of some compromise anyway.

Thanks for sharing. I'm looking forward to seeing the finished 'teak' paint.

Lovely stuff,

Mike

• Like 2

Thanks Mike. I had somewhat cynically judged that I could in all likelihood largely get away with the lack of absolute authenticity since very few people are likely to be thoroughly familiar with all of the GN, ECJS and GN/NE joint stock coach diagrams of the 1895-1922 era. The changes in details of design could almost be described as restless, with very few examples built for most diagrams, a number being one-offs.

This picture might help regarding the style of the ends I've fitted:

post-3445-0-76568700-1388652647.jpg

In this particular case I've removed the jumper cable mouldings as the coach represents a gas lit example.

Edited by gr.king
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

If you want to see inaccurate see the Triang based booth car on Ebay, hideous.

Those may not be accurate but they look like they could be, as you said there are a wide range of diagrammes and noone knows them all.

To be honest some coaches you would never get away with - eg BR stock, late stock from most companies. Anything Coachman knows.

TBH for Gresleys I would be tempted to look at cheap kits as those new Hornby models are so pricey - eg Ebay Kirk ones

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

If you want to see inaccurate see the Triang based booth car on Ebay, hideous.

Those may not be accurate but they look like they could be, as you said there are a wide range of diagrammes and noone knows them all.

To be honest some coaches you would never get away with - eg BR stock, late stock from most companies. Anything Coachman knows.

TBH for Gresleys I would be tempted to look at cheap kits as those new Hornby models are so pricey - eg Ebay Kirk ones

Having built several Kirk kits, it's important to compare like with like. I think it's only fair to point out that you get what you pay for and, unless you are content with very basic models, the cost can multiply quite alarmingly.

Once you have added wheels and bearings, replaced the generic bits under the floor and added those that aren't included at all, plus transfers, there's very little difference in cost compared to the Hornby offerings. 

Having gone the whole hog on my 3-set of Bulleid 59' stock, which has Ratio bogies, extra/better underframe parts (mostly adapted MJT LNER bits), Keen CCUs and my usual mix of Kadee and Roco couplers, it cost about £15 more than I paid for the Hornby S&D Maunsell 3-set. 

I wanted a Bulleid set that didn't look ridiculous next to my Hornby and Bachmann coaches and the cost hasn't put me off. They gave me a real sense of achievement commensurate with the time and effort expended and I have a couple of LNER ones that Hornby don't make on the go at the moment. 

Well detailed coaches don't come cheap, however you achieve the end result.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 1

Well, I'm horribly biased but just to say it has been (and continues to be) a joy to see these vehicles evolve over the last few months. What I like so much is that it gives us the opportunity to give an impression of the wonderful variety in coaching stock formations that existed in the pre-war period. Whilst it is true to say that, by our target era (1935-1939) the clerestories were down to one or twos (rather than whole rakes) they still could be seen, either as a planned vehicle (pending a more modern replacement) or, perhaps more likely pressed into service as a substitute vehicle as a result of a 'knock out' of the diagrammed vehicle due to a defect. Whilst we'll have some pristine Gresley rakes (eg for the Flying Scotsman), some of the lesser services will thus be formed of a lovely mix of vehicle types giving us the kind of variety that is just not possible with 'out of the box' - which is I guess the point that Tony is making.

• Like 2

Highjacking makes me feel slightly uncomfortable about commenting on my favourite topic (coaches).

If scruples genuinely prevent comment here, for fear of hijacking the thread, then I'm prefectly happy to receive comment by PM, no matter how cutting it might be, or "in open forum" at:

http://www.lner.info/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2443&start=3150

I already recognise that some aspects of the coaches still don't quite fit the GNR idiom. Where large windows are present for the corridor side for instance the GNR seems rarely to have left any wooden blanks between adjacent windows or between doors and windows, making the corridor almost a greenhouse. I magine the caoch side was somewhat weak in consequence too! Very limited numbers of toplights tended to be present in the van section of the brake end coaches too, often just one in top of what passed for the guards door which was usually one half of set of double luggage doors rather than an extra door as on many of the LNER examples. The raised edges around the windows on these old Margate mouldings, used as an aid to the original but "wrong" factory lining are never going to be quite right either unless a lot more work is done, and the windows themselves are simply too small too. I could have portrayed all of these features correctly by means of a huge amount of cutting and shutting, but the idea was to produce some coaches suggestive of the desired type cheaply and in a short time.

Edited by gr.king

• RMweb Premium

Having built several Kirk kits, it's important to compare like with like. I think it's only fair to point out that you get what you pay for and, unless you are content with very basic models, the cost can multiply quite alarmingly.

Once you have added wheels and bearings, replaced the generic bits under the floor and added those that aren't included at all, plus transfers, there's very little difference in cost compared to the Hornby offerings. 

Having gone the whole hog on my 3-set of Bulleid 59' stock, which has Ratio bogies, extra/better underframe parts (mostly adapted MJT LNER bits), Keen CCUs and my usual mix of Kadee and Roco couplers, it cost about £15 more than I paid for the Hornby S&D Maunsell 3-set. 

I wanted a Bulleid set that didn't look ridiculous next to my Hornby and Bachmann coaches and the cost hasn't put me off. They gave me a real sense of achievement commensurate with the time and effort expended and I have a couple of LNER ones that Hornby don't make on the go at the moment. 

Well detailed coaches don't come cheap, however you achieve the end result.

John

Hmm lets think

Lima DMU £30 S/H

DMS bits £11

Spare trailer to slice up £5 about

MJT vents and door handles about £5

Buffers couple of quid

Transfers about £5 worth

Paint - say £1 or so out of big tins

Glazing will be nearly £30 using laserglaze

So nearly £100 for a 3 car DMU, using a second hand set off Ebay

I can see where you are coming from