RMweb

Wright writes.....

Blimey Tony, is there really 'another' Phil R.? If so his Spaceship is one beauty and I have never built one except for the Kitmaster Kit circa 1966.

Phil Rams(a)y

Phil,

Sorry I misspelled your name (Doh!). 

You brought it with you, so who built it? I assumed it was you. 

It is very good. Don't you remember building it? 

Regards,

Tony. 

Amazingly quick work Tony. I wish I could produce a locomotive that quickly and I'm using existing rtr chassis for mine!

I'm very much looking forward to a return visit to Little Bytham (as I'm sure are the rest of the quartet!) but the spring seems such a long time away.... :)

Thanks Steve,

Once you've built well on the way to 500 locos, you'll build them very quickly. 

Anyway, in the scale in which you work I doubt if I'd have got beyond just peering at the bits since yesterday!

Some superb 9F models there. (We called them nine-two'ers).

On the 11 June 1967, we saw Evening star in Crewe works where she had been just repainted. She looked superb.

post-6884-0-77804600-1506361112_thumb.jpg

post-6884-0-06270100-1506361131_thumb.jpg

Here was their lair back on 1st July 1967, Birkenhead shed, where they were used on the heavy iron ore trains from Birkenhead to Shotton.

post-6884-0-78429200-1506360557_thumb.jpg

post-6884-0-08122700-1506360528_thumb.jpg

post-6884-0-70269000-1506360600_thumb.jpg

9F's are my next favourite loco after the Britannia's. Can't say I ever saw a clean one (except for Evening Star above).

Brit15

Edited by APOLLO
  • Like 13

• RMweb Premium

Phil,

Regards,

Tony. 

When was I there Tony as I have been in Greece for two weeks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Phil (Retford)

• Like 2

When was I there Tony as I have been in Greece for two weeks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Phil (Retford)

Phil,

We must be getting muddled between us my dear friend. 

It must be at least two years ago when I photographed the 9F. I'm sure you brought it, otherwise why would I have labelled the picture in your name? 

Does anyone else recognise it? 

Regards,

Tony. 

Thank you Tony for your encouragement with the Comet kit. I gained a lot of experience detailing the Hornby Crosti 9F.

Crosti12.jpg

Crosti32.jpg

Crosti31.jpg

I used a lot of the Comet 9F detailing kit. The Comet front pony truck with some additional parts from a Brassmasters etch did make a big improvement, I am tempted to do that to my two Bachmann 9Fs, especially as using a guitar string gives nice detail for the springs. Alan Gibson front wheels also are far nicer than the Hornby ones.

With my improving modelling I am tempted to go back and change the plastic brakes I made for a brass set, especially as the front ones do hang off a bit. The front number plate has been edited since these photos, but an etched one would be much better.

Jamie

Jamie,

This is great modelling. I don't think I've ever seen a better weathered 9F model. 

I'll dig around in my spares'/scrap box and see if I can find some brake shoe frets. 

Thank you Tony for your encouragement with the Comet kit. I gained a lot of experience detailing the Hornby Crosti 9F.

Crosti12.jpg

Crosti32.jpg

Crosti31.jpg

I used a lot of the Comet 9F detailing kit. The Comet front pony truck with some additional parts from a Brassmasters etch did make a big improvement, I am tempted to do that to my two Bachmann 9Fs, especially as using a guitar string gives nice detail for the springs. Alan Gibson front wheels also are far nicer than the Hornby ones.

With my improving modelling I am tempted to go back and change the plastic brakes I made for a brass set, especially as the front ones do hang off a bit. The front number plate has been edited since these photos, but an etched one would be much better.

Jamie

Wow, I agree with Tony 100%, what superb weathering.

• RMweb Premium

Phil,

Regards,

Tony. 

It is me that is the Doh Tony. My apologies; I had forgotten that lovely visit. Was it last year? Time flies so fast now.

Yes, that 9F was one I brought over and we renumbered it and you showed me the 'trick' of glazing the spectacles. I can only admit to building the tender from Comet frame and chassis and a spare RTR tender top of the correct design for 92205. The original kit build 92234 I think it was, was a bargain from the old RMW sales site and it had a high sided tender (CBA to look up the type...sorry) like the ER ones. That had the smallest of dings at the back end and was traded for the B1G I think it is.

Whoever built it had done a very tidy job and it ran/runs well but, as we discussed, it needs mods for DCC fitting.

I can't wait to run that on the Ballast Train I have a picture of running east from Chard. It was an Eastleigh loco at the time and got around a bit, but not often down the old LSWR main towards Exeter and back.

Well, that Crosti is a smasher isn't it. 

Phil,

We must be getting muddled between us my dear friend. 

It must be at least two years ago when I photographed the 9F. I'm sure you brought it, otherwise why would I have labelled the picture in your name? 

Does anyone else recognise it? 

Regards,

Tony. 

See above.

Many apologies. brain is deffo still min the Ionian.

Phil 

At one time I thought of setting my layout on the day I was born, Saturday 16 June 1956, but it would have been too restrictive with respect to the stock I would have been able to run (no Stars, no Britannias, no chocolate and cream coaches, no diesels, etc.) so I broadened the time period to cover the whole of the 1950s.

Restricting your options can broaden your horizons. If you had modelled the 16th June 1956, I can guarantee you would have unearthed a plethora of goodies that you never even new you wanted to model, and in addition have a cracking tale to tell. M y own modelling is not driven by what I like or what I remember but by what was there. I find this endlessly fascinating, aside from the actual construction and painting, due to my liking for research and the sourcing of obscure bits and bobs to bring the research to life. What I wish to model is often a pleasant surprise rather  a number on a wish list. I find this approach rather liberation.

• Like 1

Tony, I don't think you should apologize for building "another loco". It was a topic of conversation at the last group meeting I went too 2 weeks ago where the topic of why modellers and some people generally live longer. One of the things that was very apparent was Modellers (oh and the others that volunteer etc) always had some thing to finish. We noted that a modeller we knew well "finished" is layout and become a little lost with his direction and passed away relatively young. The others and we named about 6 from the group always had another project underway and were working on it. These 6 we thought "lasted" 5 to 10 years longer than people who had finished what they wanted to do. So these who were there, yes I was the youngest by 10 years, all decided that they have way too much to do. So we almost made a pact to always have something we need to finish. Personally I have way too many loco's scratch and kit that have not been finished and running! 

So I think you should keep buying and building these DJH, Nucast et al LNER locos to your hearts content as it keeps that heart and mind of yours going! 

I know this might sound strange but if you have built all the A1's, or what have you, you need/want for your layout and have another kit sitting there why not build it just for fun! As this could be the thing that is keeping the mind and the fingers active. OF course you could then barter your way to other things you want need. The idea of DJH kits languishing in their boxes unloved and unbuilt for what is probably less than a good night out (It costs me a fortune with my other half a 14 year old boy who eats slightly more than me and a eating machine of a 11year old daughter who eats a heap more than me! I doubt that we get out of dinner for under 80quid! and we are not eating flash).

I do wonder what happens to all the unbuilt kits and things as I seem to pick up the ones I want which are a little left field and through contacts and people who know people. This is all that little bit more difficult as I am in Australia but some friends and the email/ scalelfour list means I can keep in touch and they know what I am after! 

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Restricting your options can broaden your horizons. If you had modelled the 16th June 1956, I can guarantee you would have unearthed a plethora of goodies that you never even new you wanted to model, and in addition have a cracking tale to tell. M y own modelling is not driven by what I like or what I remember but by what was there. I find this endlessly fascinating, aside from the actual construction and painting, due to my liking for research and the sourcing of obscure bits and bobs to bring the research to life. What I wish to model is often a pleasant surprise rather  a number on a wish list. I find this approach rather liberation.

That's fair enough Andrew and an equally valid approach.

My modelling is also driven by what was there (or, in some cases, what could have been there). It just wasn't all there at the same time.  :)

• RMweb Gold

I do wonder what happens to all the unbuilt kits and things as I seem to pick up the ones I want which are a little left field and through contacts and people who know people. This is all that little bit more difficult as I am in Australia but some friends and the email/ scalelfour list means I can keep in touch and they know what I am after! 

Speaking of which, have you built that Finney V2 yet?

Tony, I don't think you should apologize for building "another loco". It was a topic of conversation at the last group meeting I went too 2 weeks ago where the topic of why modellers and some people generally live longer. One of the things that was very apparent was Modellers (oh and the others that volunteer etc) always had some thing to finish. We noted that a modeller we knew well "finished" is layout and become a little lost with his direction and passed away relatively young. The others and we named about 6 from the group always had another project underway and were working on it. These 6 we thought "lasted" 5 to 10 years longer than people who had finished what they wanted to do. So these who were there, yes I was the youngest by 10 years, all decided that they have way too much to do. So we almost made a pact to always have something we need to finish. Personally I have way too many loco's scratch and kit that have not been finished and running! 

So I think you should keep buying and building these DJH, Nucast et al LNER locos to your hearts content as it keeps that heart and mind of yours going! 

I know this might sound strange but if you have built all the A1's, or what have you, you need/want for your layout and have another kit sitting there why not build it just for fun! As this could be the thing that is keeping the mind and the fingers active. OF course you could then barter your way to other things you want need. The idea of DJH kits languishing in their boxes unloved and unbuilt for what is probably less than a good night out (It costs me a fortune with my other half a 14 year old boy who eats slightly more than me and a eating machine of a 11year old daughter who eats a heap more than me! I doubt that we get out of dinner for under 80quid! and we are not eating flash).

Thanks Doug,

My intention (it's already happening) is to have far more kits to build than I have years left to make them. I keep on nibbling away at the pile, then acquire another one (or two, or three) from shows, shops, donations, estates of the deceased, etc. 

It's been said many times before that the inexorable and relentless rise in both quality and quantity of RTR items these days (not just in OO) has had a very negative impact on the kit scene. Very few new kits are being developed by the main manufacturers (in the case of DJH, no new 4mm loco kits for well over a decade) and several examples in the ranges are being deleted. That's why I say, for those (like me) who like kit-building, when you see an un-built kit (often at a low price) buy it and squirrel it away for future construction. Buy any of the bits you need to complete it as well. 

Some commentators have spoken of the kit v RTR debate, but I don't see it as a competition. It's really no more (in my view) than pleasing oneself. There's no doubt that (if well-made) a kit-built steam-outline locomotive is 'superior' to an RTR equivalent, especially when it comes to haulage capacity. Not just in pulling-power, either, but in robustness and longevity. Speaking of robustness with RTR items, as part of retro-ing Little Bytham next year, I've been fitting new couplings and weathering a trio of Hornby Gresley non-gangwayed carriages in LNER teak. These do look beautiful models at source, but on getting them out of their boxes one continuous solebar footstep just fell off. And what about the bogie footboards? You only have to look at those and they fall off. What a fag gluing the damn things back on. Just as much of a fag as it is fixing back all the bits which fall off an RTR loco when you just open its box!

Of course, the kit-builder can be viewed as some as being a bit 'exclusive'. Certainly, it does require a level of skill and expertise to successfully build loco/rolling stock kits (though nowhere near the skill required to paint them), but nothing in life is wholly egalitarian. And, as I've said many times before, when friends (and guests who then become friends) visit, I'm much more interested in what they've made themselves than in the latest RTR goody they might bring (though nobody brings anything like that any more - I wonder why?) or something that's been entirely built/painted/weathered on commission. 

Does building things (though never finishing a layout) make one live longer? Only time will tell. 

Finally, you posted earlier about 'books and covers'. Many years ago, I photographed and designed a brochure for a large delivery company in North Wales and the NW. It entailed taking pictures of one of the firm's many delivery vans outside prominent buildings to which the firm delivered or prominent structures over which the vans passed. About ten male drivers (they had no female drivers) were presented to me as 'models' and I said it didn't matter, as long as they were good drivers and good deliverers. At this point, one of the managers appeared and took me to one side, saying he only wanted clean-shaven, well presented staff to be photographed - nobody with long hair, tattoos or piercings of any kind were to be shown. 'What if they were the best at the job?' I asked. 'It doesn't matter' was the reply. So, off  I went with a driver with short hair, no facial hair, no piercings and no tattoos. He did look tidy in the pictures, and he was good at his job. 

Edited by Tony Wright

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Doug,

My intention (it's already happening) is to have far more kits to build than I have years left to make them. I keep on nibbling away at the pile, then acquire another one (or two, or three) from shows, shops, donations, estates of the deceased, etc. 

It's been said many times before that the inexorable and relentless rise in both quality and quantity of RTR items these days (not just in OO) has had a very negative impact on the kit scene. Very few new kits are being developed by the main manufacturers (in the case of DJH, no new 4mm loco kits for well over a decade) and several examples in the ranges are being deleted. That's why I say, for those (like me) who like kit-building, when you see an un-built kit (often at a low price) buy it and squirrel it away for future construction. Buy any of the bits you need to complete it as well. 

Some commentators have spoken of the kit v RTR debate, but I don't see it as a competition. It's really no more (in my view) than pleasing oneself. There's no doubt that (if well-made) a kit-built steam-outline locomotive is 'superior' to an RTR equivalent, especially when it comes to haulage capacity. Not just in pulling-power, either, but in robustness and longevity. Speaking of robustness with RTR items, as part of retro-ing Little Bytham next year, I've been fitting new couplings and weathering a trio of Hornby Gresley non-gangwayed carriages in LNER teak. These do look beautiful models at source, but on getting them out of their boxes one continuous solebar footstep just fell off. And what about the bogie footboards? You only have to look at those and they fall off. What a fag gluing the damn things back on. Just as much of a fag as it is fixing back all the bits which fall off an RTR loco when you just open its box!

Of course, the kit-builder can be viewed as some as being a bit 'exclusive'. Certainly, it does require a level of skill and expertise to successfully build loco/rolling stock kits (though nowhere near the skill required to paint them), but nothing in life is wholly egalitarian. And, as I've said many times before, when friends (and guests who then become friends) visit, I'm much more interested in what they've made themselves than in the latest RTR goody they might bring (though nobody brings anything like that any more - I wonder why?) or something that's been entirely built/painted/weathered on commission. 

Does building things (though never finishing a layout) make one live longer? Only time will tell. 

Finally, you posted earlier about 'books and covers'. Many years ago, I photographed and designed a brochure for a large delivery company in North Wales and the NW. It entailed taking pictures of one of the firm's many delivery vans outside prominent buildings to which the firm delivered or prominent structures over which the vans passed. About ten male drivers (they had no female drivers) were presented to me as 'models' and I said it didn't matter, as long as they were good drivers and good deliverers. At this point, one of the managers appeared and took me to one side, saying he only wanted clean-shaven, well presented staff to be photographed - nobody with long hair, tattoos or piercings of any kind were to be shown. 'What if they were the best at the job?' I asked. 'It doesn't matter' was the reply. So, off  I went with a driver with short hair, no facial hair, no piercings and no tattoos. He did look tidy in the pictures, and he was good at his job. 

The precursor to airbrushing?

Phil

• Like 1

I model pre-grouping around 1902ish. This is primarily Kit or scratch building. Perhaps this will be the mainstay of kits in the future? New kits or the revival of old will always be required because the RTR options are simply not there.

I was also in discussion with someone last weekend regarding the RTR market and it was his view that it was at a high point and likely to fall back considerably over the next decade. His reasoning was that there was currently a glut of modellers like him (though he builds all his own locos and stock) who were at the mature end of the spectrum. A large majority harked back to the post war end of steam/start of diesel/electric, had limited time to build that model they had always hankered after and had the means to purchase multiple high quality RTR offerings. It was his view that as this glut worked its way through, tastes would become far more widely ranged and eclectic and the purchasing numbers would simply no longer be there to fuel the current RTR boom ..... discuss! His concern was not for the continuation of kit or indeed scratch building .... but more about the potential loss of skills heralded by the developments in 3d printing and the like! If you can simply draw something and magically it is reproduced to the millimeter ... what happens to the crafts?

this link illustrates the point....https://www.ted.com/talks/joe_desimone_what_if_3d_printing_was_25x_faster

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Doug,

Tony

given the speed that you put the last kit together, you must have a warehouse full of kits waiting to be built. 

Speaking of which, have you built that Finney V2 yet?

Well yes and no, the tender has been built, I have the rolled the boiler and done most of the foot plate... all rather upside down but as I seem to do more modelling over our summer than our winter and we are moving into spring... my modelling season is just beginning!

post-3192-0-70514500-1506420143_thumb.jpg

This how far I have made it on the V2

But in between things I have made:

post-3192-0-41410000-1506420284_thumb.jpg

And for a bit of variety:

post-3192-0-20636000-1506420351_thumb.jpg

So in between the day job and family you might say the above isn't much in the last few months I think it is pretty good production rate.

• Like 13

While visiting on Saturday, Roy and I were discussing how many locomotives would be considered too many. You then proceeded to show us some of the locomotives you've got squirreled away in draws and told us how you periodically swap them around so  that everything gets a run.

While I still don't have a clue how many locomotives would be considered too many, I do now have an idea how many could be considered just enough!

Edited by Atso

• RMweb Gold

Well yes and no, the tender has been built, I have the rolled the boiler and done most of the foot plate... all rather upside down but as I seem to do more modelling over our summer than our winter and we are moving into spring... my modelling season is just beginning!

attachicon.gifIMG_0584.JPG

This how far I have made it on the V2

But in between things I have made:

attachicon.gifIMG_0585.JPG

And for a bit of variety:

attachicon.gifIMG_0586.JPG

So in between the day job and family you might say the above isn't much in the last few months I think it is pretty good production rate.

That's a lot further than Horse would have got with it, it'd be squirrelled away in the loft among old Portescaps  :mosking:

The quads look good.