Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

• RMweb Premium

I imagine that even real experts sit in armchairs from time to time, Larry. 

Andrew's expertise goes way, way beyond the comfort of an armchair, as illustrations of his modelling on this thread clearly show. I rate him among the top contemporary builders in 4mm, especially as he weathers everything he makes, giving it the most natural, realistic appearance. 

To be fair, I don't think any manufacturer 'mutilates' anything they make (that's usually left to the likes of me in the way of cutting, sawing, carving and altering). It's a great shame that Hornby's gangwayed Gresley carriages have such a poor body shape (does the firm make Thompson corridor stock?), though the non-gangwayed LNER stock is first class. 

I've made Comet kits to the same diagrams as these shown below, but I haven't matched the RTR excellence. 

attachicon.gifHornby Gresley non-corridor 3rd R4516 weathered.jpg

This is the LNER all Third, weathered down employing the dry-brush technique with a range of colours including matt brown, matt grey and matt black. 

attachicon.gifHornby Gresley non-corridor 3rd R4520 weathered.jpg

And the same diagram, this time in BR ownership. 

attachicon.gifweathered Hornby Gresley 02.jpg

The same weathering techniques were applied to the LNER Semi Corridor Lavatory Composite.

attachicon.gifweathered Kirk Gresley 01.jpg

Though pretty grotty now in comparison with the current RTR and etched equivalents, old Kirk kits can be 'brought to life' with a touch of weathering. I built this one some time ago and painted it in (wartime) unlined teak, weathering it lightly. With the other LNER vehicles, it'll be used for the LNER weekend scheduled for LB next year. 

Though nowhere near the standard of your coach-building, as layout carriages, used on a big layout, they have their place I think. As everything I've made with regard to locos and rolling stock is weathered to one degree or another, then these fit in quite well in my view.

Others have recently posted examples of their weathering - my most grateful thanks for those.

Regards,

Tony. 

post-27842-0-23783400-1506713235_thumb.jpgI made this from a Kirk kit. I had a go at flush glazing it, luckily the windows have square corners.

Regards Tony.

• Like 14

Does anyone use the weathering "kits" that are available? These seem to contain packs of paints to create rust shades, dirt, oil, smoke etc and I think are mainly aimed at military modellers. Just wondering if they are worth acquiring.

Jon

Consider Cassettes?

For trains that are at least 12' long? They would work for locomotive changes to avoid handling but beyond that I can't see how they would help in a practical sense. The fiddle yard arrangement that Tony has created and extended is the optimum design, in the space available, considering the very long formations that are a feature of LB.

Edited by Anglian

• RMweb Gold

Does anyone use the weathering "kits" that are available? These seem to contain packs of paints to create rust shades, dirt, oil, smoke etc and I think are mainly aimed at military modellers. Just wondering if they are worth acquiring.

Jon

If you have a pristine out of the box collection of stock that you want to tone down a bit and no suitable paint in stock, they are a very good starting point, but most of us that weather have all sort of pots and containers full or part full of foul and disgusting mixes of varying opacity and gloopiness which we can use for weathering and don't need this sort of 'shot in the arm' investment.  

A minor drawback, and one rooted in my own opinion rather than any researched factual information, is that, being aimed at military modellers, they tend to concentrate on mud, dust, and faded colours to an extent that I am less convinced is suitable for UK railway modelling especially steam era.  I am critical of much factory applied weathering for this as well.  It is my belief that steam age weathering should be of a much darker overall tone, due to the colour of steam clag and filth which was very heavily contaminated with coal dust.  I have recently weathered a Hornby 42xx which is allocated to my coal train using very dark media indeed, and have had several favourable comments about it from people whose opinion I respect in the matter, which is gratifying; this is a loco which spends it's working life in coal mines, coal sidings, coal unloading facilities, coal washerys, and running around in coal dusty enviroments; brake block dust is not the primary colour!

Edited by The Johnster
  • Like 1

Hello all

I thought I would show what I consider to be my best effort at weathering.

post-16861-0-65088900-1506786489_thumb.jpg

post-16861-0-23102100-1506786509_thumb.jpg

post-16861-0-53960500-1506786564_thumb.jpg

post-16861-0-26068800-1506786618_thumb.jpg

The model does have issues such as wheels that are the wrong size and no crew or lamps. I think I went over the top with the handrails and footsteps in retrospect, maybe a little bit too much bare metal showing that probably would have rusted. Now I really ought to get on with some modelling after I fixed my Mini got quite the stockpile of engine and wagon kits to get through before I can buy some more! Appologies for the rubbish mobile phone pics

Cheers Robin

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium

For trains that are at least 12' long? They would work for locomotive changes to avoid handling but beyond that I can't see how they would help in a practical sense. The fiddle yard arrangement that Tony has created and extended is the optimum design, in the space available, considering the very long formations that are a feature of LB.

Off layout storage Cassettes that hold 3/4 coaches are used on a railway I know very well and the owner can create different 'trains' in less that two minutes. He keeps several types of Brake Diagram as singles on spurs so that they can be added too. It means he doesn't have to have many duplicates of the same Diagram vehicle.

Maybe think outside the 'cassette' Anglian?

Philth

Edited by Mallard60022

Robin, whatever failures you see in your own work I think it looks fantastic as does the stone walled building behind the locomotive. The windows, the colouring and the degree of relief of the stone courses looks very effective.

Phil – ah I understand now – I can appreciate how that would work very well in many cases – thank you for opening my eyes! I always liked the turntable system on Buckingham until somebody pointed out to me that in essence it's 'wrong' since a train wouldn't be turned at the end of the line, only the locomotive.

• Like 2

Cassette storage can be really useful. I would advocate separate loco cassettes and I wouldn't make them too long. At the moment I use aluminium angle cassettes  no more than a metre long, most are shorter on one part of my main layout and simply use cut down scouring pads to stop trains shooting off the end, simple but it works. If a train is slightly shorter the sponge can be moved up the cassette which as I have to put my cassettes away at the end of a session is really useful as stock can't slide around. 

I've also used cassettes with track on my micro layout as well as per the photos below, elastic bands are used to stop runaway stock. I have to be especially careful, our garage floor means things don't bounce. These photos were taken with a phone so aren't great but give an idea. 

post-12773-0-84567600-1506799329_thumb.jpg

post-12773-0-65570600-1506799353_thumb.jpg

I find aluminium angle gets dirty quicker 

Martyn

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

I had problems with Aluminium angle that would not conduct at all.  It was cleaned and worked for a few minutes and then running became stuttery with lots of sparks and then everything stopped again.  Cleaned once more and then coated with electrolube - same result.  So I switched to brass angle.  Heavy as hell but it works.

Count yourself a founder member of the pre-War Bytham team. 

August next year it will be then, probably over a weekend. We'll accommodate you, of course, and two others. The Willoughby will see to the rest if we all pool resources. It should be a great time, and I can report on it when I'm in the 'land down under' some six weeks later. 

Sorry the lateness. 

Excellent, i cant wait. I'll have to build some stock up to bring it over for the event. Thank you for the accommodation as well, just send my parents the bill.  :sarcastic:

Please, Jesse, just let me know which C2 you want me to build (at mates' rates). 

Look at your last sentence, please. I could 'of' sworn..............

Sir!

I shall Tony, thanks again. 

So the first weekend will be pre-dating LB, the next will be English lessons for me! 

They bring back some memories Tony... it was in fact coming up to four years ago I believe, since those photos were taken by your good self on my first visit to Little Bytham. Since then the majority of locos have been sold (I've around 4 left that I'm going to get sold before Christmas).

Most kind of you Jesse. 

Here's some more examples of my work over the past year or so.

attachicon.gifmg_8498.jpg

attachicon.gifmg_8505.jpg

Finally one taken by Alan Buttler, on Geoff Taylor's glorious Barmouth Junction. The Pannier and stock are mine.

attachicon.gifP1200714.jpg

Sadly with everything that went on with my Dad, I've done little modelling this year, however.... I've just given the layout it's last coat of paint (after trying out some different base colours). This weekend I'm going to add a layer of Treemendous ground earth as a literal soil layer, before begging the grass work with static grass and some teddy bear fur.

attachicon.gifIMG_8347.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_8346.jpg

Lovely work Tom, I am truly sorry to have read of your loss. Hopefully get to meet you next year sometime. 

Wow the weathering shown here is just awesome. It certainly enhances the models. The Royal Scot looks so real and purposeful. They really are handsome locomotives. The coaches too are really super and look so much better for  a bit of dirt and a "lived in" appearance. I never cease to be amazed at the talent and abilities shown by contributors to this topic.  It is a wonderful spin off from a wonderful layout subject and it certainly helps me get some bright thoughts on these dark and dismal autumn days when there is not much else to cheer the spirit.

Thank you all.

Martin Long

This photo was taken of a GNR 'toplight' brake compo to compare the tumblehome with a Hornby coach which only had the tumblehome at the extreme ends. The flush-windows didn't help the RTR product either...

I should add that lining (and white roofs) was reintroduced at the end of the LNER period and the early BR period while teak was still going through works. The 'E' suffix was added around 1952.

An interesting point about the re-introduction of lining. I don't think I was aware of that before now.

Should the visible edge of the gutter on that GN brake compo be "dirty teak" rather than pure roof colour?

Good to see some models of GN coaches, either way.

I got the third coat of teak ( basically the darker panels ) on to the brake composite from up the thread, After uming and ahing I decided I will not be weathering it down, instead I shall swap it out for an already weathered example of the same diagram from another rake, thus keeping a variation in finish appropriate to both rakes.. Having photographed the little beasty, I noticed that I've soldered one of the panels in to the double doors slightly cockide, oh well, perfection is but a dream.

post-26757-0-75697400-1506884224_thumb.jpg

• Like 16